PDA

View Full Version : Merckx AXM Carbon...Where is it made?

SoCalSteve
01-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi all,

Is this frameset produced (manufactured) in Europe or the Far East?

Also, does anyone own one? Just curious as to how you feel about it.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

alancw3
01-16-2009, 10:53 AM
i don't know the answer but based on merckx past farming out of nonsteel frame bikes i would bet asia particularly since eddy has relinquished control of the company to outsiders. personally i don't see were it is manufacturuered i.ei. asia as a big determent. i think what is more important is fit and stiffness.

Liberace
01-16-2009, 11:01 AM
My 3XM was built by Carbon Dream in Italy.

If you can find one of these(I'm sure there are some out there hanging on a dealer wall or still with Gita), you'll be impressed the ride quaility. Not a great looking bike, but it rides real nice!

SoCalSteve
01-16-2009, 11:06 AM
My 3XM was built by Carbon Dream in Italy.

If you can find one of these(I'm sure there are some out there hanging on a dealer wall or still with Gita), you'll be impressed the ride quaility. Not a great looking bike, but it rides real nice!

In what way is it not great looking? Finish quality? Paint? Tubing?

Please explain.

Thanks,

Steve

alancw3
01-16-2009, 11:17 AM
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t291804-merckx-carbon-frame.html

Liberace
01-16-2009, 11:29 AM
The finish and construction is top notch. The odd shaped headtube, top tube and down tube are a little hard on the eyes.

SoCalSteve
01-16-2009, 11:33 AM
The finish and construction is top notch. The odd shaped headtube, top tube and down tube are a little hard on the eyes.

Thank you! This helps.

Steve

Climb01742
01-16-2009, 11:59 AM
1centaur has one. maybe search for his ride report.

Jack Brunk
01-16-2009, 12:26 PM
The AXM and the EXM for sure are made in Eddy's Italian factory. I really liked the all around ride of the EXM. I think part of the look thing has to do with differences in how the frames are made(lugged vs mono).

SBash
01-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi all,

Is this frameset produced (manufactured) in Europe or the Far East?

Also, does anyone own one? Just curious as to how you feel about it.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

http://www.extremefitness.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/89/sort/2/cat/all/page/1

A quick note for the curious -- while Eddy will admit that he doesn't make his carbon frames in Belgium, they're most certainly not cranked out in China. They're made in Italy by Oria, the same folks that supplied Pinarello with so much of their tubing back in the late 80's. Oria had the forethought to aggressively pursue carbon manufacturing capacity before it became the rage, and they've since become enormously respected for their composites expertise in both the automotive and marine industries. Each AXM comes labeled with a "Made in Italy" sticker to attest to

1centaur
01-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Believe Jack on this one - he's well informed by someone who knows :)

These frames have been made by other European factories over the years, so old data is out of date.

Love mine still. Never a creak, heavy (for my stable) but efficient, climbs better than you'd think, quality finish, unique construction never to be seen again, I think, a little of the master's touch, great geometry.

acorn_user
01-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Who are "Carbon Dream"? I've never heard of them. I know Oria make monocoques in Italy, but I didn't know that there was anyone else.