PDA

View Full Version : Brrrrr...

thwart
01-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Well, this morning we set a new record, at least for our home outdoor thermometer. In the 18 years we've lived in this house 26 degrees below is the coldest I've ever seen.

Anybody up for a road ride?

CNY rider
01-16-2009, 07:50 AM
I commuted my 7.5 miles to work this morning.
Forecast was for -14F, and I was planning to drive.
Woke up, it was only -3F and thought what the heck.

I felt like I was riding in slow motion.
I think it's a combo of bomber bike laden with studded tires, plus all the clothing, plus some effect of cold air on aerobic metabolism, but this is the slowest I can ever remember feeling.

I also wonder how much the increased air density slows you on a bike. I remember reading somewhere that mpg in a car go down in winter because of the increased air density, along with other factors.

keevon
01-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Only -5F in Pittsburgh, but that's still my coldest ever commute. Three to four layers of everything, plus taped helmet vents, plus the personal promise of a key lime scone got me through. Must be a macho thing :rolleyes:

Charles M
01-16-2009, 08:10 AM
I froze my ass of this morning...

Clear down to 44, but with the wind it was Brutal.

The ride home will be probably 76 though so :hello:

paczki
01-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Clear down to 44, but with the wind it was Brutall

You don't know what cold is... :banana:

Frankwurst
01-16-2009, 08:33 AM

-31 at my house this morning. No problem keeping the beer cold. The problem is keeping it from freezing. Time to break out the vodka. :beer:

Climb01742
01-16-2009, 08:36 AM
my car said it was -6 here this morning. gym for me.

Kevan
01-16-2009, 08:49 AM
look at my bike this weekend.

Lifelover
01-16-2009, 08:57 AM
How can you people live in places with negitive temps!? Upper 20's (+20) and I'm whinning like a baby.

Seriously, How do you do it?

93legendti
01-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Coldest 3 days I can recall.

All doubts about global warming have been removed.

Karin Kirk
01-16-2009, 09:06 AM
I was visiting MN for work this week. We landed in a snowstorm, drove to Northfield in a snowstorm, and then it got cold and remained below zero for the rest of the visit. Since it was a work trip, it didn't really matter but the weather prevented any chance of a casual walk across campus. It was lovely to come back to unseasonably warm and sunny Bozeman yesterday!

How do I live in a place that gets below zero? Easy. I am happy when it's cold. Everything just feels right. Certainly, I don't do much outside when it's double-digits below zero, but it doesn't bum me out either. Conversely, I am miserable in the heat. Anything above 85 qualifies as hot for me.

Frankwurst
01-16-2009, 09:32 AM
How can you people live in places with negitive temps!? Upper 20's (+20) and I'm whinning like a baby.

Seriously, How do you do it?

You don't live. You survive. And this is coming from a guy who likes winter. :beer:

mandasol
01-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Went riding yesterday in the 20's and was fine mostly except the part about my face going numb and feeling like it was going to fall off going downhill. It was in the teens this morning which is just a little to cold for me, at least until I get a balaclava or I find my old ninja mask and do my Sho Kosugi impression on a bike.

D_L_Huns
01-16-2009, 11:38 AM
My dog and I made it 75 yards up the street and headed back in this morning. He was trying to walk (hop/prance) on only 2 paws this morning at -5 or so. Kinda' like: :banana: (but not a happy dance)

duke
01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
-8 at the beach this morning. Sea smoke looked like a fog bank. I was riding yesterday at +15 degrees feeling kinda dumb (and numb) until I saw the surfer dudes sitting in the 35 degree water enjoying that 15 degree breeze. I was instantly warmer. The days are getting longer, this is just early spring...
duke

GuyGadois
01-16-2009, 12:11 PM
You guys are going to KILL me. It has been above 80 here for over a week. Normal is 20 or so degrees less. Still, my commute in the AM is in the high 30s or low 40s but when the sun gets up above the hills it starts to cook.

I just hope this last for the Tour of California when it comes through the area.

I think my ski trip next week is going to be closer to a water ski trip.

-GG-

paulandmonster
01-16-2009, 12:16 PM
%^&^&*%$ Ridiculous Whatever Happened To Global Warming

CNY rider
01-16-2009, 12:24 PM
My dog and I made it 75 yards up the street and headed back in this morning. He was trying to walk (hop/prance) on only 2 paws this morning at -5 or so. Kinda' like: :banana: (but not a happy dance)

Buy your best buddy some of these (http://dogbooties.com/) .

Our Golden wears them any time it's below zero, and on longer ski trips if it's below about 10F.

thwart
01-16-2009, 12:27 PM
How can you people live in places with negitive temps!? Upper 20's (+20) and I'm whinning like a baby. It's all about your frame of reference.

You know, by Wednesday of next week it's supposed to be 35 degrees above zero here.

Always fun to watch...

That positive 65-70 degree swing in temps will have all the cool high school guys walking around in T-shirts among the snow banks. They'll be cool alright... :rolleyes:

chakatrain
01-16-2009, 12:44 PM
~50F this morning for my 7am commute. SF Bay Area has been enjoying wonderful warm weather for about the last 8 days. Yesterday was 75F in SF, if you can believe that.

Each year, we seem to get a warm week somewhere in mid-winter. In '06, that week hit during the first Tour of California. With luck, even though we desperately need the rain this year, next month's edition of the ToC will get a warm, dry week.

D_L_Huns
01-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Buy your best buddy some of these (http://dogbooties.com/) .

Our Golden wears them any time it's below zero, and on longer ski trips if it's below about 10F.
I tried some years ago. He just stood and looked at me...*** are these? I should try again. Those look better than the ones we had. Thanks! Don

PBWrench
01-16-2009, 01:08 PM
-25 in Minneapolis this morning. How do I cope? By getting a spot last night for the Horribly Hilly Hundred in Wisco this June. I may just thaw out by then.

rwsaunders
01-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Only -5F in Pittsburgh, but that's still my coldest ever commute. Three to four layers of everything, plus taped helmet vents, plus the personal promise of a key lime scone got me through. Must be a macho thing :rolleyes:

It's clear and sunny now and I just ate some grapefriut for lunch...just like Florida. Only one problem, it just hit 5 above for the high.

Keevon..I hope you weren't the gent that I saw heading north on Route 8 this morning.

thwart
01-16-2009, 02:02 PM
By getting a spot last night for the Horribly Hilly Hundred in Wisco this June. Hey, I got in too!

Damn thing filled in 14 minutes. My riding buddy just missed out.

See you June 20th!
And if previous HHH's are any indication, save the memory of 25 below... you'll need it. :rolleyes:

chuckred
01-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Was in Orange County, CA on Tuesday - balmy 80's. In Grand Rapids, MI Wed - Friday (never get a client in a city with the word "Rapids" in its name in the winter...). It warmed up today - to 15. Thermometer didn't get out of the single digits before that. Roads were totally snowpacked everywhere. On our way to dinner last night at about 8PM, saw a guy out on his bike. Looked like "fun"?

I don't mind skiing when it's in the single digits, but I really can't imagine living is a place where it's as flat as it is here and that cold!

93legendti
01-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Was in Orange County, CA on Tuesday - balmy 80's. In Grand Rapids, MI Wed - Friday (never get a client in a city with the word "Rapids" in its name in the winter...). It warmed up today - to 15. Thermometer didn't get out of the single digits before that. Roads were totally snowpacked everywhere. On our way to dinner last night at about 8PM, saw a guy out on his bike. Looked like "fun"?

I don't mind skiing when it's in the single digits, but I really can't imagine living is a place where it's as flat as it is here and that cold!

FWIW, this is the worst MI winter I can remember in my 47 years...Of course, I said that last winter.

William
01-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Nothing like playing out in the cold with someone you love or dig very much. Go inside for a bit of refreshment (hot or cold). Then a bit of nook nook in front of the warm fire.....yeah baby, winter suits me just fine! :beer:

William

rwsaunders
01-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Nothing like playing out in the cold with someone you love or dig very much. Go inside for a bit of refreshment (hot or cold). Then a bit of nook nook in front of the warm fire.....yeah baby, winter suits me just fine! :beer:

William

OK Hef... :cool:

DarkStar
01-16-2009, 08:09 PM
-28 this morning! You won't see me on skis let alone a bike! If I'm not mistaken one of our members is currently posted to the South Pole! :eek: He knows the true meaning of cold.

Ken Robb
01-16-2009, 08:42 PM
weatherman on TV tonight talked to his mom in N. Dakota today where she said it was -30F. He told her it was 82F at his office so that's 112 degree difference. I think he is now disinherited. :)

Charles M
01-16-2009, 08:52 PM

Oh hell yes I do...

I just avoid it :)

Louis
01-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Speaking of cold weather, last night was the coldest we've had around here in about 10 years (at least I'm pretty sure I heard that).

So when I wake up this AM I think to myself "Gee, things seem a bit chilly." Turns out that we lost power around 6 AM, right around THE coldest part of the night. Didn't get it back until around 10:30. I ran the gas logs which helped. It got down to around 50* in the house (-3* was the low outside) then the fireplace brought it up to around 53 in the living room. My bedroom was still pretty cool.

According the the utility web site the cause was "line damage." About 170 homes were out. Of all the times to loose power. I'm all electric, so even if I has a generator it would not have done much good.

Louis

Ray
01-17-2009, 06:10 AM
%^&^&*%$ Ridiculous Whatever Happened To Global Warming
I've always understood global warming would actually result in more extreme weather events all over the globe, including colder colds in places. Overall, we're warming, but that causes all sorts of changes in the weather patterns and areas that almost never get down to say, 5 F (our temp here this morning), get down to that. I'm afraid this is consistent with it.

Ain't it FUN???

I actually like short blasts of cold. I've never lived anywhere truly horrendous, but when I ski bummed in Colorado I remember walking home from the bars at night at -10 and having my nostrils and anything else exposed freeze pretty quickly. I don't know if I could hang with -25 and windy!

-Ray

93legendti
01-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Yes, everything is a sign of global warming, colder and warmer weather...including gullibility. Yesterday was the coldest day in 15 years. Global warming indeed. I never hear about Al Gore spouting off in winter.....

Joellogicman
01-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Yes, everything is a sign of global warming, colder and warmer weather...including gullibility. Yesterday was the coldest day in 15 years. Global warming indeed. I never hear about Al Gore spouting off in winter.....

Yours is a very limited definition of global as you appear to be considering only the continental United States. Indeed, even that limited definition is problematic for your theory as, at the height of this January cold snap, Southern California has experienced near record warmth.

You do not hear Al Gore spouting off about global warming at any time as he, like most in the science community uses the correct term climate change.

Despite this relatively cold winter in the upper Midwest and East (although at the end I doubt it will even crack the top ten since modern record keeping) planet wide statistics continue to show the overall temperatures increases at a rate which does not appear consistent with what we know about previous weather cycles.

I am no meteorologist, but the theories that indisputably observed large decreases in polar ice concentrations coupled with increases in ocean temperatures and changes in ocean current patterns cause unusual seasonal extremes is highly convincing to me. Certainly a lot more convincing to me than extrapolating a current cold snap in the Detroit area as demonstrating what is happening world wide.

PaulE
01-17-2009, 12:11 PM
in suburban NJ this morning. Woke up to frozen water pipes in the kitchen sink. The builder of my house likes to make a little bump out of the wall behind the kitchen sink, cantilevered out from the foundation. Makes for a nice counter space behind the faucet and extra space between the sink and the casement windows. But also lets the cold air circulate around the water supply pipes.

A couple of hours in the basement with a heat gun for removing paint to the pipes as near as I could get to the risers got the water running again, but not at full strength. Luckily no pipes burst and I'll keep the water running till it warms up.

RABikes2
01-17-2009, 12:51 PM
It was 20* at 7:00 a.m. today. Frost on the ground, the back deck was slick, and the water in my dog's outside water bowl was frozen solid. It's sunny, blue skies, and a wonderful 52* outside now. We do experience the four seasons in north Florida. :)

RA

Dan Le foot
01-17-2009, 04:51 PM
We rode 50 miles this morning.
Had to start with arm warmers. But no vest.
75 degrees and sunny in San Diego. C'mon out. Ken Robb has plenty of room at his house. Jim Cav has some room too.
Dan :hello:

Elefantino
01-17-2009, 05:27 PM
We do experience the four seasons in north Florida
I wish we didn't. 36º for this morning's A Team ride, which wasn't bad, but supposed to be below freezing for tomorrow's century in Baker Co.

I miss summer.

RABikes2
01-17-2009, 05:37 PM
supposed to be below freezing for tomorrow's century in Baker Co.
I miss summer.
Hope you and the A-Team enjoy a great day, Mike! Use imagery ... visualize and think warm. :p
RA

Karin Kirk
01-17-2009, 07:42 PM
The key point in global warming (or global climate change if you prefer) is that it's global and that it's long term. A particular day or week in any single region is pretty irrelevant to the big picture. What's important is the trend.

Or, to use an economic analogy, there was one certain stock that had a really good week last week. So that means the global economic crisis must be over, right?

Here's a nice figure with long-term trends shown for each continent as well as for the entire planet.

http://www.ipcc.ch/graphics/graphics/syr/fig2-5.jpg

BTW, it's way warm and sunny here, which is totally proof of global warming! :p

Louis
01-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Karin, don't confuse the issue by bringing in statistics. I totally want to keep my head in the sand.

If I say it's not happening, then it isn't. ;)

Louis

93legendti
01-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Karin, trends and statistics are good. I don't expect to change your opinion. You probably don't expect to change mind. I'm glad we can discuss it in a friendly way.

http://www.isthereglobalcooling.com/

According to the National Climate Data Center the 2008 average temperature of the continental United States through December 2008 is below normal link (based on the 20th Century average), that temperatures that were once rising are now falling just as quickly. Spring '08 was the 33rd coolest Spring and October '08 was the 44th coolest October in 114 years of record keeping. For the continental USA December '08 was -.9F below the 20th Century average temperature and was the 35th coolest December in 114 years link. 1998 was the second warmest year since 1900 but every year after 1998 has been cooler. So what has changed? CO2 concentrations continue to increase yet temperatures are now falling. The change is reduced solar activity which is at the lowest level in almost a Century.

The Antarctic, which contains 90% of the worlds ice, now has the most ice ever recorded! When combining the ice at both Poles there is no net loss of polar ice! The October 2008 Arctic sea ice growth is at the most rapid pace ever recorded...

Supporting Links:
Solar Impact on Climate
Sunspots have been used for hundreds of years to measure solar activity. The more sunspots the higher the solar output and visa-versa Cooling periods on earth have occurred when there were fewer sunspots and warming periods (such as the second half of the 20th Century) when there were more sunspots.

The sunspot average from 1900 to 1949 was 576 annually, and from 1950-1999 it was 876, an increase of 52%.

With the current solar cycle the sun has become less active once again with fewer sunspots, suggesting that the long period of warming has come to an end and a period of cooling is beginning (based on a long historic correlation between solar activity and global temperatures).

The first 3 links from NASA give strong evidence that the solar activity has recently dramatically changed. Then read the article in the fourth link and the David Archibald links, and you will quickly understand what drives global climate. This explains the warming of the 20th Century and the cooling we are now experiencing.

US Senate Minority Report, over 650 internation scientists dissent over man made warming claims and why

Sept 23, 2008 NASA warns that solar wind is the lowest in recorded history and the suns reduced output could result in changes in the earth and solar system

Oct 1, 2008, NASA announces the sun could have the fewest sunspots in a century, this has led to global cooling in the past.

NASA, noting changes in the sun, says solar cycle 25 could be the weakest in centuries

Ultra long solar cycle 23 and the possible consequences on global temperature (Joseph D'Aleo)

What are sun spots?

David Archibald: Solar Cycle 24

David Archibald Part 1

David Archibald Part II

David Archibald Part III

David Archibald Part IV

August 2008, first month without sunspots since 1913, (astrotabletalk)

Relationship of solar activity on global climate change (Space and Science Research Center)

Global cooling due to decreased sun spot activity

Excellent global warming CO2 documentary

Daily observation of solar cycle 24

Solar Cycle could be weakest in centuries according to NASA

NASA solar scientist David Hathaway is confused by the late start of solar cycle 24 and the current state of low solar activity (Linda Moulton Howe)

Causes of global warming and climate change

New York Times October 2, 2008 Fewest sunspots since 1954 (points toward global cooling).

Connection between sunspots and global temperatures is compelling. CO2 global warming theory is too simplistic.

Dr. John R. Christy, global warming, what do the numbers show

Great Global Warming Swindle (UK)documentary

Climate Skeptic, Warren Meyer

part 1 part 2 part 3 part 4 part 5

part 6 part 7

US Senate Report, scientific studies chill global warming fears

Scientists counter global warming computer models

Princeton physicist Dr. Will Happen calls global warming science mistaken

Solar activity at 8,000 year high, explains recent warming

2008 second lowest solar activity since 1900, explains current cooling

New Little Ice Age instead of global warming. Prof. Theordore Landscheidt

The Role of Positive Feedback and Global Warming

positive feedback is an important part of global warming fears

Dr. John R. Christy, mankinds impact on global temperatures and why there is not feedback

Evidence of global cooling. Links:

Temperatures peaked in 1998 and have declined since then

Arctic sea ice growth in October 2008 was the fastest ever recorded

most of the United states in 2008 is below normal temperature through October

Global warming of 20th century lost in 12 months of 2007.

Record breaking winter weather in USA in 2008

Chart shows CO2 rising and temperatures falling since 2002, more signs of global cooling and not global warming

2008 Farmer's Almanac predicts long period of cooling

Global temperature trend since 2500 B.C.

2007 Year of global cooling

Reports of widespread global cooling

2008 was the year man made global warming was disapproved

Recent data on global cooling

1/15/09 Flint Michigan -15F, breaks 1895 coldest day record

1/14/09 Arctic blast, 40 below, hits midwest

1/13/09 coldest winter in Germany in 100 years

1/12/09 Chicago having 22nd coldest year in 114, 4th most snow in 124 years of records

1/12/08 Man freezes to death in own apartment as German temperatures plunge to -.33.8F

1/09/09 Arctic blast kills eight in Europe. Unusual heavy snow in Madrid and southern France.

1/07/09 50 below zero F in Alaska

1/07/09 Arctic weather grips England

1/06/09 Belgium under the grip of severe cold

1/06/08 Saskatoon Canada had the most 25 below celcius days in a row (25) since the start of record keeping in 1982

1/05/09 London colder than Antarctica

1/5/09 Eiffel tower closed due to snow, below zero temperatures C throughout Europe

12/30/08 record snow paralyzes Spokane

12/29/08 First December Lake Superior freeze over in decades

Arctic sea ice was 220,000 square miles larger in Nov '08 than Nov '07

12/23/08 Canada snow covers entire nation, first all white Christmas since 1971

12/22/08 worst December snow in Portland OR since 1968

12/20/08 In latest week US had almost 1,500 new record low temperatures and set 700 snow records..

Elefantino
01-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Not to inject myself in the middle of the climate change vs. hooey smackdown, but why don't people ever say anything about the worldwide massacre of ...

trees?

Trees eat C02. In with the bad air, out with the good (oxygen).

It's sad.

deechee
01-19-2009, 09:54 AM
after dealing with -10F last week, +10F feels balmy to me today. Its all good once you get used to it.

global warming or not, I hope you all take care of the environment. I just watched Werner Herzog's "Encounters at the end of the World" the other night. In his own subtle way, Herzog makes you feel the love he has for mother earth and how strange mankind is.

rwsaunders
01-19-2009, 01:52 PM
I think that it was Samuel Clemens who said..." There are three kinds of lies....lies, damned lies and statistics."