PDA

View Full Version : Snowbird & Alta

rockdude
01-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Heading to Snowbird and Alta next month and looking for a inexpensive place to stay close to the Mountain. Anyone know of such a deal.

michael white
01-16-2009, 07:36 AM
I heard of a place . . . some town called Salt Lake City . . .

(not to be too sarcastic, but lots of people do it.)

it's probably more fun to just buck up and stay at Alta.

djg
01-16-2009, 07:43 AM
I go every year and have stayed almost exclusively in SLC. It's only about 40 minutes or so to the mountain.

It's not NY, but they have many more choices of food than you'll find at the mountain, some brew pubs, movies you might be glad to see, and even occasionally bands you've heard of. Plus, it's cheap. Shop around and you can find a nice double room for maybe 100 -120 bucks at a hilton, little america, etc., and budget stuff for even less -- split that and you're sitting pretty.

CNY rider
01-16-2009, 07:46 AM
I don't know the lodging scene too well but I do know that skiing Alta is the most fun I have ever had on downhill skis!
Lucky dog, have a great time. :beer:

michael white
01-16-2009, 08:28 AM
I go every year and have stayed almost exclusively in SLC. It's only about 40 minutes or so to the mountain.

It's not NY, but they have many more choices of food than you'll find at the mountain, some brew pubs, movies you might be glad to see, and even occasionally bands you've heard of. Plus, it's cheap. Shop around and you can find a nice double room for maybe 100 -120 bucks at a hilton, little america, etc., and budget stuff for even less -- split that and you're sitting pretty.

yep, those places are nice and with lots of good restaurants within walking distance.

rockdude
01-16-2009, 08:31 AM
I heard of a place . . . some town called Salt Lake City . . .

(not to be too sarcastic, but lots of people do it.)

it's probably more fun to just buck up and stay at Alta.

If it were up to me, I would stay in town BUT its the guys trip and they want to be close to the Mountain... The places they have found are about $400 or more a :argue: night for 4 of us. Here in CO there are tons of deals, I just can't find them in near Snowbird...

MassBiker
01-16-2009, 08:36 AM
There isn't much up at the mountain and it is way more expensive but I always had the fear when staying in SLC that we would get hit with a big snowstorm and we wouldn't be able to get up the highway to the mountain.
Obviously you pay for being that close to the skiing!!!

:beer:

ClutchCargo
01-16-2009, 10:00 AM
There isn't much up at the mountain and it is way more expensive but I always had the fear when staying in SLC that we would get hit with a big snowstorm and we wouldn't be able to get up the highway to the mountain.
Obviously you pay for being that close to the skiing!!!

:beer:

That's the key issue as far as I'm concerned. You don't want to be there with your nose pressed to the glass while they clear the Canyon road and everyone who is staying at the resort has the mountain to themselves. That said, there's not much to do or many places to eat up by the mountain, and I've had friends who stayed there and it snowed so much they weren't let out of the lodge for a day because of avalanche threats ("interlodge", I think they call it). if you stay in town, Sandy is also an option; a bit closer than SLC itself.
One thing's for sure, though: Alta and the 'Bird are a blast -- have fun ! :hello: :beer:

KevinK
01-16-2009, 10:38 AM
I second the Sandy suggestion. Our group of 8+ takes a week-long ski vacation each year, and we alternate between UT and CO. This year is Utah (Feb. 20-28) and we alway rent a house in the Sandy area. Usually comes out to about $325/person for the week. Whatever you decide, be sure to rent a 4WD vehicle, as the road patrol are very strict when the road conditions are iffy.

I like Alta because they don't allow boarders, but I think Snowbird has the more challenging terrain.

Kevin

Ken Robb
01-16-2009, 11:04 AM
I rented a condo in Park City. For 2 couples it was a good deal and we could make our own breakfast which was cheap and convenient.

Wife Leslie has stayed alone at one of the modest lodges at Alta and loved it. All meals are included and it's ski-ski out so it's easy to take a break and then return to the slopes. She enjoyed meeting the other guests too.

dogdriver
01-16-2009, 12:44 PM
IMHO--Alta-- Gold Miner's Daughter.
Snowbird-- Iron Blossam or Cliff Lodge.

I'd bet, given the economy and not-so-great snow year we're having, you could find good deals at any of these. If you stay at the 'Bird, you can either drive to Alta (.5 mile) or get a combined day pass (a few bucks more than a pass at either resort) and ski both resorts from either base area.

That said, remember that the night life at Alta will consist of the beer you brought with you and the buds in your company. I think that there's a bar or two in the lodges, but not much. The Snowbird options are more of a "lodge" nightlife, but its not going to make the top 10 list in Ski magazine any time soon.

For pure economy, I'd go with the previous advice and stay in SLC. The only downside to this would be if it snows (a lot) and the Little Cottonwood road closes, in which case you go to Brighton or Solitude for the day. You will have missed an epic day at Alta, though (lots of snow and no drive-ups), unless they "Interlodge" (so much avalanche danger that you aren't even allowed outside), in which case you will have been best off driving to Deer Valley, where the sun always shines, Stein's hair is perfect, and most of the skiing is indoors.

That's all I know, Chris (Park City resident)