PDA

View Full Version : Rolls vs Regal - what's the difference?

Louis
01-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Some time last year my Selle Italia Trans Am Gel Flow (which for me was the perfect saddle as far as comfort goes) went bad, but because that particular model was no longer make by SI I embarked on a long and painful journey to find a replacement.

After trying at least five different saddles I finally settled on San Marco Regal. Not perfect (after 2 hours it begins to bother me and after 3 hrs bother becomes honest-to-goodness pain) but the best of the lot.

So here's my question: What's the difference between a Rolls and a Regal? I'm trying to figure out if I should try the Rolls.

TIA
Louis

michael white
01-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Rolls is about like the Turbo. . . a few mm narrower than the Regal, but more rounded in contour. I find the Rolls VERY comfortable for me, maybe better than the Regal.

harlond
01-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Similar threads:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=36309&highlight=rolls+regal

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=43440&highlight=rolls+regal

Louis
01-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks Harlond, I should have checked before asking.

Louis

Ray
01-16-2009, 01:42 AM
I'm sure I've said this elsewhere, but I find the two to be virtually indistinguishable in terms of size, shape, and profile. The only difference is in firmness. The Regal seems to be just a thin sheet of neoprene over the hard plastic where the Rolls has some very firm foam between the shell and the cover. This makes the rear of the Rolls feel a little rounder than the Regal, because you sink into the padding a little bit more so you feel the crown a bit more in the middle. But when I hold 'em side by side, I can't find any difference in shape, size, or profile.

FWIW, I have the same experience with these saddles. I like them both a lot initially, but have never liked either for long rides. A little bit too round in back for my taste. Not comfortable for more than a couple of hours. I've found something approaching bliss with the Specialized Phenom which is a bit narrower but is flatter across the back than either the Rolls or Regal. Its to the Toupe as the Rolls is to the Regal - same shape but a bit more padding. I liked the Aliante too, but found I was riding it too nose-up in order to level out the back portion where my sit bones spend their time. I guess I like 'em flatter both front to back and side to side. Up to a point, anyway. What works is different for everyone.

-Ray

Climb01742
01-16-2009, 03:50 AM
for me, the main difference was the rolls has more of a peak or ridge running along its center from nose to tail. the way a road is crowned. a rolls is much flatter across the rear of the saddle, which for me gave my sitbones a great "perch". i sat_on_and regal. with the ridge, a rolls felt like it sat_in_it, if you get my drift. didn't work for me. i rode a regal for a long time and dug it. but ultimately, the regal felt too wide. now i'm riding the new bontrager RL saddle and digging it. it's flat and just the right width, 146. it comes in three width.