PDA

View Full Version : So what do you take on a ride?

coylifut
11-28-2004, 10:52 AM
the cable thread below got me thinking, what do people pack in their seat bags? Around here, it's quite a lot. I keep a summer bag for the A bike with 2 tubes, boots, glue-less patches and a multi tool. In the off season, on the B bike, besides having balistic tires and fenders, I have 2 tubes, boots, glue-less patches, multi tool, zipp ties and a folding tire. I think I'll have to find room for a brake and mech cable as well.

BumbleBeeDave
11-28-2004, 12:15 PM
1 spare tube
2 CO2 cartridges
1 small multi-tool
1 mini patch kit
couple of zip ties

Sometimes, if it’s a real epic ride, I’ll take another spare tube in my jersey pocket.

BBDave

eddief
11-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Torelli 6 inch mini pump
Spare tube
Patch kit
C02 cartridge
Yellow Innovations Inflator
Multi tool
2 tire levers
a few bucks

Bill Bove
11-28-2004, 02:25 PM
On daily rides I have a Pedro's Micro Mini bag on the bike with a tube, a 15mm allen key and a 16g cartridge, in the pocket I have a tube, cartridge & adapter, 2 levers, a couple of bucks and some business cards. For a century or longer ride I'll use a larger Pedro's bag and put all the stuff in it to leave more room in the pockets for FOOD :banana: I used to carry a spoke wrench too but now that I'm riding Campy wheels with hidden nipples most of the time it's just extra weight.

christian
11-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Merckx:

Topeak Hummer
spare tube
Rema patch kit
2 tire levers
Metro-North bike pass
in a Blackburn minibag

Rambouillet:

Topeak Hummer
3-way spoke wrench
8mm/10mm combo wrench
Rema patch kit
2 spare tubes
spare brake and shift cable
spare SRAM quick-link
Chain tool & 5 extra links
musette bag
alcohol wipes
first-aid kit
Metro-North bike pass
in a Carradice Maybeck

I use the Rambouillet when I'm leading club rides, and I've used every item in the bag - but never on my bike or my wife's bike.

Having said that, I realize I should carry a spare quick-link on the Merckx, too.

- Christian

Kevin
11-28-2004, 03:15 PM
2 Spare tubes
2 C02 cartridge
Inflator
Multi tool
tire lever
money
energy bar
sports drink
cell phone

Kevin

kevininMD
11-28-2004, 03:32 PM
I did away with the seat pack. I carry, in an around-the-neck pouch, $20, an insurance card (so I can get patched up after the soccer mom has driven over me in the minivan), and a drivers license (so the authorities know where to send the corpse after the soccer mom has driven over me in the minivan).

dirtdigger88
11-28-2004, 03:36 PM
2 Spare tubes
2 C02 cartridge
Inflator
Multi tool
tire lever
money
energy bar
sports drink
cell phone

Kevin

thanks Kevin you saved me some typing- but no multi tool

Jason

Sandy
11-28-2004, 04:02 PM
2-3 CO2 cartridges
1 tube
1 air pressure gauge
coins
paper money
patch kit
pill box
small hex wrench
nutrition bar, if room
CO2 inflator
Identification with phone number
blinking light, if room
picture of Kevan, for inspiration

Kevan
11-28-2004, 04:24 PM
a snake bit kit
flashlight
assorted medication in vial and pill form (includes: aspirin, morphine, uppers, truth med, and the like)
4 chocolate bars
Money both in USD and rubles
half dozen prophylactics
a set of semaphore flags
mini Bible
2 pair nylon stockings
a carton of Camels
.45 caliber automatic w/ 100 rounds
a book of waterproof matches
1 Playboy - Christmas issue
oh, and a space blanket

You mean bike bag?!

Well there's the all-in-one tool that has allens, wrenches, and a chain breaker; inner tube and peel and stick patches. There's a quarter in there and that's about it. On my person, dogtags, two CO2 cartridges w/ nozzle, power bar and Gu, sometimes my cell phone inside a plastic bag, and some money too, about 3-5 bucks is all.

shaq-d
11-28-2004, 04:35 PM
how do u guys fit spare tubes into the seat bag... they don't fit so i dont' carry'm.

-patch kit, and 1 tacx tire lever
-multi-tool
-minipump

sd

Sandy
11-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Everyone should bring identification with them on a ride, with a phone number, so that someone could be reached in case of an emergency. I don't see anyone else with that included in their saddle bag.

Serious Sandy

vaxn8r
11-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Thanks Sandy, I'm guilty of this one. I pledge not to anymore.

coylifut
11-28-2004, 05:32 PM
how do u guys fit spare tubes into the seat bag... they don't fit so i dont' carry'm.

-patch kit, and 1 tacx tire lever
-multi-tool
-minipump

sd

get a bigger seat bag. I left out that i also carry a cell phone, food, money, credit card, ID. Looks like I'm the only one who doesn't carry levers. I havent' met a tire yet that I can't rip off bare handed.

eddief
11-28-2004, 06:06 PM
I searched high and low for a bag that easily fiit the amount of stuff I wanted to carry. This bag is bigger than the tiny racer boy bags, but in my opinion, does not look dorky on a "fast" bike. Zipper pocket inside the door for money and outside side pocket for multi-tool and levers. Inside main compartment perfect for tube, mini pump, patch kit and C02 gadget...and a few bits more.
http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMW2

BumbleBeeDave
11-28-2004, 06:07 PM
. . . I almost forgot. I also carry money and my DL and cell phone in a ziplock bag in my jersey pocket, and I have a set of two dog tags with important address and medical info (insurance carrier, blood type, doctor name) I ALWAYS wear around my neck.

I recommend that to everyone. Go to www.poundmaster.com and he does good work and sells all the accessories.

BBDave

PS . . . So Bill Bove rides with hidden nipples, eh? . . . There’s GOT to be a joke in there somewhere! ;) :rolleyes:

Ahneida Ride
11-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Zefal HP Frame Pump.

Alien Tool kit fits nicely undeneath Brooks B67 Saddle, atached with a ziptie

Flat Kit consisting of ..
Tube, patch kit, Plastic tire lever, 1 Dollar bill, small rag, ID.

Lime green raincoat/jacket
Wallet
Case for glasses
Car keys.
Rosary

Previously used a GB small Bag and Banna Bag,
Bags at Bottom of page. (http://www.wallbike.com/Berthoud/smallsaddlebag.html)

Just upgraded to a Carradice Barley.

Kevin
11-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Everyone should bring identification with them on a ride, with a phone number, so that someone could be reached in case of an emergency. I don't see anyone else with that included in their saddle bag.

Serious Sandy

Sandy,

I use the road id bracelet. It has my name address and three emergency telephone numers.

Kevin

gasman
11-28-2004, 06:47 PM
the cable thread below got me thinking, what do people pack in their seat bags? Around here, it's quite a lot. I keep a summer bag for the A bike with 2 tubes, boots, glue-less patches and a multi tool. In the off season, on the B bike, besides having balistic tires and fenders, I have 2 tubes, boots, glue-less patches, multi tool, zipp ties and a folding tire. I think I'll have to find room for a brake and mech cable as well.

Coy-
I'm impressed you don't carry tire levers. Remind me to never shake your hand ;) , I want to keep my hands intact.
You say you carry boots. What are they ?

Signed,
Ignorant

vaxn8r
11-28-2004, 07:55 PM
get a bigger seat bag. I left out that i also carry a cell phone, food, money, credit card, ID. Looks like I'm the only one who doesn't carry levers. I havent' met a tire yet that I can't rip off bare handed.

Coy, let me introduce you to my Campy Protons.

Frank
11-28-2004, 08:21 PM
that is, until they need something I am carrying! I, or one of my fellow riders, have used (at least once) everything I take with me. My friends have used some of them, with the agreement that before they use something they promise to never again make fun of how much stuff I take.

Think this came from taking long solo rides in the summer in hot SW Oklahoma on Army base tank and artillery truck roads where you would see no other vehicles for hours. Then again, maybe it is just that O/C in me coming out...

On frame:
Zefal frame pump

In bag:
3 CO2 cartridges and inflater
Schrader to Presta valve brass adapter for gas station air pumps
Extra tube
Tire lever
Mini chain tool
Extra Shimano chain pin
Zip ties
Tyvek from USPS envelope for tire boot
Mini hex tool
$20
Sugino seat post binder bolt

In jersey pocket:
Extra rx glasses
Spare tube
ID
Halt dog spray
Look cleat covers
Pen and paper in a baggie
Sometimes a cell phone
Bandana, not a :banana:

And probably something else I forgot to list

Birddog
11-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Don't get me started on Protons with Continental tires!!!!!!
I carry a multi tool (with chain tool), tube, 2 CO2's a small roll of duct tape, levers, film canister with about $6, (always includes a $1 bill to use as a boot),glueless patch kit, presta adapter,and a Connex link. I use the toe end of 2 old socks to put multi tool and tube in. This keeps tube and tool seperate and eliminates rubbing. They double as rags if nec. All this in a Jand Mini Wedge

Birddog

Elefantino
11-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Jeez some of you carry a lot of stuff.

I have one of those "racer boy" ( :no: ) bags in which I carry Innovate Pro, spare tube, patch kit, 1 tire lever, key to car, zip tie, $5.

Anything else is just excess weight. Me included.

And why would you need 100 rounds with a .45? Do you miss a lot? (Easy, Slim...)

toaster
11-28-2004, 08:48 PM
2-3 inner tubes w/ cordura fabric and piece of inner tube both cut into rectangles for use to boot cuts in tire. I secure these pieces to rolled up inner tubes with a rubber band. Neat package.

3 Co2 12g cartridges

1 Co2 inflator

Aireon pocket tool set (allens, tire levers, spoke wrench, screwdriver)

Sometimes pepper spray.

Sometimes cell phone.

Dollar bill, a few quarters. The minimum.

I.D. Old drivers license.

Business cards.

Russ
11-28-2004, 09:42 PM
I don't use a seat pack.... that's what those THREE jersey pockets are for!!!

Always:

1) Copy of ID with Emergency phones
2) Spare tube
3) CO2 Cartridge, inflator and presta to standard valve adapter
4) Topeak's Toolbar (thanks to PB Wrench)
5) Cell Phone
6) Cash

Sometimes:

6) a powerbar or other energy food
7) a credit card

If I am going to ride until dark:

8) Cateye lights (front), Sigma lights (back).

coylifut
11-28-2004, 09:51 PM
If we all went riding together, we'd be covered for just about anything. So here's what I need. A power link (had one, but gave to someone who didn't), dog-tags (thanx BB Dave), chain tool (did carry one, but got out of the habit), toe ends of socks to separate tools and tubes and double as small rags (I like that one).

Oh, and some tire levers incase I'm riding with a Proton rider and they forget theirs.

dsimon
11-28-2004, 09:52 PM
nothing else im the moocher :crap:

jerk
11-28-2004, 10:07 PM
spare tubular toe strapepd below the seat and a mini pump in the back pocket....a couple dollars for donuts at the farm...that's it. you guys would kill the jerk but when he's riding alone or in a small group he doesn't even wear a helmet, just a stupid old cycling cap with the middle cut out. if the jerk gets killed they'll figure out who he is.
jerk

M_A_Martin
11-28-2004, 10:16 PM
I've used most of this stuff on other people's bikes...

Road/tour bike:
1 tube
1 park insta-patch sticker things
1 regular patch kit
1 latex or similar glove
2 tire levers (I generally remove my tires by hand also...unless I have an audience)
1 crank bros multi tool with chain breaker
2 spare chain links
1 presta/shrader adapter
1 Air innovations inflator
4 air carts
1 tube of triple Antibiotic ointment
space blanket
ID
$20 + a bit of change
Cell phone
1 pack clif shot
Depending on the state of organization I have going, either the cell phone and space blanket or the tube goes in the bag, the other goes in the pocket.

mountain bike (using both the seat bag above, and my camelback):
1 tube
1 park insta-patch sticker things
1 regular patch kit
1 latex or similar glove (keeps the hands clean)
2 tire levers (I generally remove my tires by hand also...unless I have an audience)
1 Alien multi tool with chain breaker
2 spare chain links
1 Air innovations inflator
2 air carts
1 mini pump
ID
$20
Cell phone
3 packs clif shot
First Aid Kit including:
Latex gloves
compass
magnesium fire starter
knife
emergency can opener
space blanket
signal mirror
Drugs: Aleve and Vicoden (after my recent crash I was very sad to find I had removed the vicoden from the pack ...I don't use the stuff normally, but walking out two miles with a torn MCL and no drugs or immobilization sucks)
Triple antibiotic ointment
sample pack of chamois buttr
tissue in baggie
and now I'll carry a roll of vet wrap (like an ace bandage only longer and stickier...to imobilize knees with torn ACL/MCLs and whatnot...it weighs nothing)
I usually have a trail map with me as well.

This winter I'm planning on taking a wilderness first aid class. I might follow up with a wilderness first responder course. I hate to say that on my recent crash I was the only one who recognized the situation I was in and the correct course of action to take. "Uh oh...I think I've managed to go into shock...I need to stop...". I don't ever want to become a mountain bike patrol person, but I think I should know more about the stuff than I do.

It always amazes me that people will go out on a trail or on a seldom travelled road without some sort of survival stuff or knowledge of basic first aid. I'm guilty on occasion...but I do usually have minimal stuff along.

coylifut
11-28-2004, 10:43 PM
spare tubular toe strapepd below the seat and a mini pump in the back pocket....a couple dollars for donuts at the farm...that's it. you guys would kill the jerk but when he's riding alone or in a small group he doesn't even wear a helmet, just a stupid old cycling cap with the middle cut out. if the jerk gets killed they'll figure out who he is.
jerk

Oh no, it's been turned into a helmet thread.

The only reason why I asked this question is that I wanted to know what the Boston Drunk carried.

Sandy
11-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Sandy Says that the slower riders tend to ride with much more in their saddle bags than the faster riders. This is particularly true for the really fast riders versus the really slow riders. It is a generalization and there are exceptions, but Sandy Says that it is true, so it must be so.

The racer dude types minimize what they carry in their saddle bags, often riding with no bag and very little in their jerseys.

Sandy Says

Andreu
11-29-2004, 07:48 AM
Lance Armstrong carries nothing and look at how fast he goes.
Imagine how fast he´d go if he was to wear shorter socks.
A

M_A_Martin
11-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Yeah!

Think how fast Lance would be if he wore shorter WHITE socks!

keno
11-29-2004, 09:50 AM
I carry a few dime bags, a spoon, a can of sterno, a syringe, a Zippo, a piece of an inner tube, an air mattress with built-in inflatable pillow, a 160g cartridge and inflator, highway flares, a Philly cheesesteak, a six-pack of Anchor Steam, an AAA card and my lawyer's business card.

keno

csb
11-29-2004, 10:59 AM
laminating machines

i suggest using one on the lawyers business card

Dr. Doofus
11-29-2004, 11:23 AM
1) Oh S**t Kit : tube, Co2, rubber band

2) 1 Clif Bar for each hour if over 2:30

3) A Park Multi Allen thingie

Happy to say there has been no use for either 1 or 3 in two years...knock...knock....