PDA

View Full Version : Texas Hill Country Suggestions?

weatherman
01-14-2009, 03:13 PM
So, it is that time of year again and time to throw together a quick (2-4 day) trip for me and the wife. Last year it was Vegas--Red Rock Canyon for some nice relaxation at the spa, bit of gambling and fine dining and some great hiking and riding in the Red Rock Canyon area (I posted a thread/photos on this last year if you are interested.)

So, this year we are looking a little closer to home---maybe Austin, TX?? Thinking about a trip over Pres. Day weekend so mid February. I figure weather in Austin would be a crap shoot that time of the year, but I guess we are gamblers.....

In any event, any suggestions on places to stay, rides to hit etc if we head down that way? Other suggestions also welcome (and appreciated) as long as it is a good place for two over worked, over stressed adults to get away and have some fun (we are definitely outdoor people--riding (road, mountain, cross), hiking, kayaking etc...)

Thanks! :beer:

eddief
01-14-2009, 03:29 PM
http://www.adventurecycling.org/tours/tourdetail.cfm?id=118&t=EV&p=3

trophyoftexas
01-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Fredericksburg is the place....lots of great routes, some hillier than others, some not bad at all, some TOUGH! Nice places to stay, eat, drink, be merry! Lots of little shops for you wife to spend y'all's money! PM me if you want some more details and I can give you the low down and maybe even hook you up with some riding friends in the area....I used to spend about 40 days a year riding down there and loved every minute of it!....and you are right, mid-Feb. is a TOTAL crap shoot! Been there about that time of the year and had 90 degree days followed by 30 degree days! Average, hummm, probably 60-ish.

Hai H. Ho
01-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Funny this came up. I am in the process of getting all my gear together for a weekend get away on the 2008 Leakey Training Camp. This will be my first trip to the Texas Hills. The team mates tell me there will be cycling clubs from all over (Austin, San Antonio, & Houston) representing.

Most will ride Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Last year's suggested Friday ride was the Killer-Diller. 60 miles, 6 big climbs with 6300 feet of climbing. Saturday consisted of the Leakey Century. 103 miles with 5800 feet of climbing. Sunday's route was Leakey - Vanderpool - Utopia, which was about 50 miles. This year's routes are TBD.

I've heard nothing but great things. I am so excited.

PM me your address & I will be happy to email you the packet of info I received (driving directions, city information, ride maps, etc.)

weatherman
01-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Fredericksburg is the place....lots of great routes, some hillier than others, some not bad at all, some TOUGH! Nice places to stay, eat, drink, be merry! Lots of little shops for you wife to spend y'all's money! PM me if you want some more details and I can give you the low down and maybe even hook you up with some riding friends in the area....I used to spend about 40 days a year riding down there and loved every minute of it!....and you are right, mid-Feb. is a TOTAL crap shoot! Been there about that time of the year and had 90 degree days followed by 30 degree days! Average, hummm, probably 60-ish.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions!

aLexis
01-15-2009, 07:39 AM
If you ride in F'burg, take trophyman up on the assistance offer. Some of the routes published online will take you on some not-so-great roads. He is a Fredericksburgapedia.

hochstes73
01-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Fredericksburg is absolutely fantastic - I've been a couple of times during Texas Hell Week and loved it!

If you visit, stop over at Pasta Bella for a great meal and say hello to Sean the owner.

If you have a off-the-bike day, check out the Enchanted Rock State park - if you climb to the top you'll have some great views.

I wish I were going back this spring, but it doesn't look like a training trip is in my budget this year :( .

The riding is great and if the weather disallows riding there is lots to do.