PDA

View Full Version : san diego, torrey pines hill?

jimcav
01-14-2009, 02:58 PM
anyone know what is considered a good time to do that hill, from the bottom parking lot entrance/exit to stoplight up top?

thanks
jim

CHF
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
http://www.sdbc.org/core/includes/docs/clubrace/March%2015%20Torrey%20Pines%20Time%20Trial%20Resul ts.pdf

Here is a semi competitive groups results.

jimcav
01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.sdbc.org/core/includes/docs/clubrace/March%2015%20Torrey%20Pines%20Time%20Trial%20Resul ts.pdf

Here is a semi competitive groups results.

at the next group ride.
what say you to hitting it with fresh legs and a 15mph goal--from start to whenever (hopefully finish)
is that only open to sdbc members?

jim

CHF
01-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I have never hit it with fresh legs so that could be fun. Anyone can do SDBC rides, but they do their rides like its critical mass. Did one once and will never go back. Don't know if their races are open to non-members.

Alan
01-14-2009, 04:21 PM
I was in Carlsbad 10 days ago and did it inadvertently. I rode south as I had been north before. Just kept riding and eventually hit the hill. Once you start there you can't turnaround but it was a good workout. It reminded me of the passes between the valleys in LA. Unfortunately now I am back in Cincinnati.

Alan

Lanternrouge
01-14-2009, 05:17 PM
anyone know what is considered a good time to do that hill, from the bottom parking lot entrance/exit to stoplight up top?

thanks
jim

A good time is under 5:30 based on a standing start from the stop sign to the flashing yellow light. Of course, good is all relative. Adam Livington did 4:48 just showing up at a club event. If you can do it under 4:30, you might be able to quit your day job :beer:

Dan Le foot
01-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey Jim.
Torrey is for sissies.
Next time you're in the Escondido area try the Mountain Meadows hill just off the 15 freeway. One mile straight up with mostly 12% grade. (Avr 10%)
Convince the Swamis when you guys come over here next time to make the climb. You'll be real popular.
Michelle can do it in about 8 minutes. Takes me about 12.
:beer:
Dan

jimcav
01-14-2009, 07:02 PM
I would like to do that. MT Palomar was more long than truly hard.
jim

Hey Jim.
Torrey is for sissies.
Next time you're in the Escondido area try the Mountain Meadows hill just off the 15 freeway. One mile straight up with mostly 12% grade. (Avr 10%)
Convince the Swamis when you guys come over here next time to make the climb. You'll be real popular.
Michelle can do it in about 8 minutes. Takes me about 12.
:beer:
Dan

jimcav
01-14-2009, 07:04 PM
A good time is under 5:30 based on a standing start from the stop sign to the flashing yellow light. Of course, good is all relative. Adam Livington did 4:48 just showing up at a club event. If you can do it under 4:30, you might be able to quit your day job :beer:

I think i will set 5: 30 as great, sub 5 as pro-ish, sub 6 as really good, and 630 as good

is the stop sign where cars exit the parking area?
last time i went up a guy sort of quit at that flashing yellow--which made no sense to me since you can't turn off until the stoplight--but now i know why

thanks
jim

JBone
01-14-2009, 08:29 PM
I usually do my hill repeats there. I think if you do the inside first you will definitely be warmed up and ready for a fast ride on the outside.

If you want some hills, Highland Valley Rd. or Palomar Mtn. :)

Jeff N.
01-14-2009, 08:35 PM
A good time is under 5:30 based on a standing start from the stop sign to the flashing yellow light. Of course, good is all relative. Adam Livington did 4:48 just showing up at a club event. If you can do it under 4:30, you might be able to quit your day job :beer:4:30??? Heck, I can't even go DOWN Torrey that fast! Jeff N.

Dan Le foot
01-14-2009, 08:44 PM
A good day of climbing in the North County would be Lake Wolford, Palomar S Grade and Cole Grade. Pretty much covers the last stage of the Amgen Tour of Ca.

jeffg
01-14-2009, 11:50 PM
A good day of climbing in the North County would be Lake Wolford, Palomar S Grade and Cole Grade. Pretty much covers the last stage of the Amgen Tour of Ca.

My mom now lives in Del Mar almost at the base of Torrey Pines. I am guessing this TT is not through the park, which is the better climb? I did it with my dad (dying of leukemia at the time) when I was 12 riding from LA. It is ironic my mom lives there now since I was about delirious when we hit the Torrey Pines climb that day

In terms of a climb, it is just a simple VO2max interval. Palomar is the measure in SD.

BTW, who cares what is a good time for such a short distance? Where a good climb is at least 20 minutes, then you can start to care ...

jimcav
01-15-2009, 07:38 AM
My mom now lives in Del Mar almost at the base of Torrey Pines. I am guessing this TT is not through the park, which is the better climb? I did it with my dad (dying of leukemia at the time) when I was 12 riding from LA. It is ironic my mom lives there now since I was about delirious when we hit the Torrey Pines climb that day

In terms of a climb, it is just a simple VO2max interval. Palomar is the measure in SD.

BTW, who cares what is a good time for such a short distance? Where a good climb is at least 20 minutes, then you can start to care ...

but it is near, harder for us to get out to palomar regularly--we will be doing these hill repeats before work (630-730 am)

Lanternrouge
01-15-2009, 12:06 PM
I think i will set 5: 30 as great, sub 5 as pro-ish, sub 6 as really good, and 630 as good

is the stop sign where cars exit the parking area?
last time i went up a guy sort of quit at that flashing yellow--which made no sense to me since you can't turn off until the stoplight--but now i know why

thanks
jim

Yes.