PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Question

Bauch
01-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I was wondering if anyone on this board has used the Resolution Center on PayPal to deal with sellers who receive payment but fail to either communicate or deliver the goods that they are selling? I'm currently dealing with a seller from whom I purchased a frame from Road Bike Review's Classified who may be headed down that road. :crap:

Thanks all!

pdxbikeboy
01-13-2009, 11:05 PM
The answer is no, but I'd love to find out what happens (just in case I find myself in your shoes someday). Please keep us posted. Hope it turns out well for you. pdxbikeboy :cool:

Don49
01-13-2009, 11:16 PM
I was wondering if anyone on this board has used the Resolution Center on PayPal to deal with sellers who receive payment but fail to either communicate or deliver the goods that they are selling? I'm currently dealing with a seller from whom I purchased a frame from Road Bike Review's Classified who may be headed down that road. :crap:

Thanks all!

Yes, I've used it twice, successfully. Once to get refunded for defective goods from eBay, and once to force a slow seller to ship the goods.

If you state your case concisely and follow their timeline you will likely prevail and get a full refund. It goes smoothest if the seller doesn't respond to the request to communicate, then you simply win by default. It can get sticky if the seller disputes some part of your claim and PayPal is forced to make a decision. I still remember a situation where a friend purchased a pair of Sidi's from eBay, described as size 10. A size 9 pair arrived but the seller refused to accept a return. It escalated to a PP dispute and PP ruled that the shoes were "materially as described" and ruled in favor of the seller.

Good luck with it.

tuscanyswe
01-13-2009, 11:22 PM
The only time i started a dispute through paypal i thought i had an open n shut case, i was wrong.

I purchased cranks + chainring with buy it now on ebay.
Only recieved cranks. I send lots of mails to seller asking what happend. No response.

Opened a disspute. They responed within a day and said the manufacturer no longer included the chainring for this crankset (they manufacturer never did to begin with..). I responded and pointed out that they sold the exact same chainring in their store, why not just send me 1. They said they could not do that since its no longer included in price.

I was offered a full refund if i could send back the goods with registered mail within a certain amount of days (5?). Shipping to me and from me could not be refondable and i was out 40 in shipping and the shipping back would cost me atleast 80 to make the time limit set by paypal/ebay. Sending back the item and beeing out a 120 when chainring cost 100 seemed like a bad idea.

Since i dident, paypal responded that they could not do anything but rule in favor of the seller. They could not even force the seller to send the chainring even when seller admitted it was included in item and they they did have it in stock.

Hopefully others had better luck.

However this was purchased with cash and i no longer buy anything with cash through paypal, only credit cards so you can go via creditcard company if happends again.

cmg
01-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Sorry, but if you purchased outside of eBay the resolution might not offer you very much action. For example say you pay and the seller doesn't deliver, paypal would put you in their mediation list and send the seller an e-mail and that would be about it. type in "buyer protection" in the paypal search window to see their coverage.

yim
01-14-2009, 08:32 AM
muttley.renato :mad:

Buy zeus from him in ebay -no problem.

Buy a front der. from him outside ebay and pay by paypal and receive nothing.

Start disspute but got no result. :crap:

johnmdesigner
01-14-2009, 08:48 AM
You will have better luck if this purchase was made with a credit card. Then you have 2 points of leverage.

Paypal is also very biased towards E-bay sellers.

Last year I had a buyer who claimed that he had not received his purchase. I used the Resolution Center. Because they could not find the USPS confirmation on their computer they refused to be interested. I had to go to the post office where a kind postal employee (yes, they do exist) printed out the information from their computer. I submitted this to Paypal. After waiting a month they decided in favor of the buyer!! :bike:

After 2 days of nasty phone calls they reversed their decision but said that I would have to convince the buyer to return the money!!

So yes, it is a terrible service especially if you are a seller on e-bay as they will always assume you are at fault.

I now only use a credit card for purchases. As a seller though I have no choice but to accept Paypal.

The cost of shipping, insuring, confirming almost makes it not worth the trouble.

Sorry for the rant.

daker13
01-14-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm surprised people here have had such bad luck with Paypal. I hate Paypal, but as a buyer, I have no problem with their resolution center. I've filed three disputes and gotten my money back every time. The last one looked like it was going to get ugly - it involved a item that looked brand new but was actually going to need to be re-calibrated, and the seller was a d*ck. You need to make it very clear for the Paypal people to understand.

I think both ebay and Paypal are way slanted towards buyers. They think they can't increase market share unless people feel safe buying from them. So, to my eyes anyway, they they almost always side with the buyer rather than the seller. Also, remember that if Paypal finds for you, they'll reimburse shipping costs.

Walter
01-15-2009, 07:02 AM
I had a problem with an eBay seller (named AZBIKEAGENT who cheerfully took my money and did not send the goods...I was sadly not alone in this department with him). I filed the dispute in a timely fashion and promptly received the credit back.

The eBay (same company) dispute process is another story. I won an auction at what the seller thought was too low a price and he did not send the item. eBay did nothing.....

Don49
01-15-2009, 11:51 AM
I won an auction at what the seller thought was too low a price and he did not send the item. eBay did nothing.....

That's happened to me too. eBay can't force a seller to perform. They may issue a "strike" that could lead to eventual suspension, but that's about it. Of course a buyer can leave negative feedback for a non-performing seller.