PDA

View Full Version : Think this frame is toast?

joelh
01-13-2009, 01:38 PM
I saw this item on ebay, but the damage to the frame looks pretty scary to me. Sad because it is my size and there is something about that color combination that I just love.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170293811802

Hardlyrob
01-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Orange and Pink huh?

jbrainin
01-13-2009, 02:27 PM
At that price, you can buy it, send it to Serotta for repairs/repaint and still be ahead when you're done. Gotta be cheaper than trying to buy a new fillet-brazed steel frame!

mandasol
01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I'd be more concerned about rust, it looks like the paint chips have never been touched up.

David Kirk
01-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Buy it, send it to it's birthplace and have the top tube replaced and repaint it and then ride it forever.

I think the top tube would be fine but I'll bet it would bother you...... or should I say it would bother me. Top tube repairs are very simple and clean and go well most every time.

dave

joelh
01-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Orange and Pink huh?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that shows a personality defect somewhere deep inside me.

David Kirk
01-13-2009, 03:25 PM
OK.......... I got a story for you.

It's about 1990 or so and I'm working at Serotta and I just built my first MTB for myself. The guys in the paint shop had this new paint they wanted to try really badly. They sprayed me a sample and I was very excited.

They sprayed the bike just like the eBay bike......... neon magenta fade to neon orange. In fact it was the first one they sprayed that way. I took it home to my one room apartment and was very very proud. My place was silly small and the bike was leaned against the wall right near the foot of the bed. Every morning I woke up and flipped on the light was was so proud.

After a few weeks went by I woke up one morning, flipped on the light and looked at the bike and thought to myself "that is the nastiest bike I've ever laid eyes on". Something about it was so 80's and I really wanted to be past that. I re-sprayed it maroon and used it for years.

That bike is a time capsule and I hope if you get it fixed you have the neon fade redone. It's only right.

So proud to be the first!

dave

joelh
01-13-2009, 03:44 PM
This is what I do for a living. i guess that is why I like it.

Peter P.
01-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Jbrainin and David Kirk got it right; I'd bid maybe $400-500 for the whole shebang. If you can't remove the fixed cup without damaging something, leave it in there and ask the frame repair shop to do it. I'd wholeheartedly agree that frame is worthy of a restoration. Even if you paid another $800 for repair and paint, you'd be WAY ahead of the game regarding a lugged steel frame, and a lugged Serotta Colorado at that. You could probably strip the parts, sell them on e-Bay, and recover some of your bid, too.

Many of the color combinations and those fade patterns were a hallmark signature of Serotta frames of that era. Timeless. Classic.

Hardlyrob
01-13-2009, 04:39 PM

Wow that's nice work - I'm just a wood butcher when it comes to the lathe.

Rob

David Kirk
01-13-2009, 04:56 PM

Stunning. Do you have a website?

Dave

joelh
01-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Stunning. Do you have a website?

Dave
www.joelhunnicutt.com

avalonracing
01-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Joel,

If I wanted a bike made of wood you'd be on the short list.
Beautiful work!

1centaur
01-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Wow is right. I bet you can sell those as fast as you can make them - I'd spot pieces like that from across the room and head right over. Bet your woodworking students aspire to be as good as you.

Excellent photography too.

Would not be out of place in a high-end Manhattan gallery. Speaking of galleries, I see your site mentions Agoura Hills (need to get that "u" in there). Jack Brunk territory. He's a collector :)

Peter B
01-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Jbrainin and David Kirk got it right; I'd bid maybe $400-500 for the whole shebang. If you can't remove the fixed cup without damaging something, leave it in there and ask the frame repair shop to do it. I'd wholeheartedly agree that frame is worthy of a restoration. Even if you paid another $800 for repair and paint, you'd be WAY ahead of the game regarding a lugged steel frame, and a lugged Serotta Colorado at that. You could probably strip the parts, sell them on e-Bay, and recover some of your bid, too.

Many of the color combinations and those fade patterns were a hallmark signature of Serotta frames of that era. Timeless. Classic.

FWIW, I just sold a ~'92 Colorado II, same size, frost white, complete bike w/ full Record 9, new cables, chain, cassette, etc for $750. So $1200-$1300 might be a bit on the high side.

BumbleBeeDave
01-13-2009, 08:28 PM

I looked at the web site. That stuff is BEAUTIFUL. You are amazing! Wow! :hello: :banana: :beer:

BBD

chuckroast
01-13-2009, 08:37 PM
I agree, those pieces are unique and spectacular. I see a few fairs on your calendar, is that fixed for 2009 or might you still be adding others?

joelh
01-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys for the kind comments. It is pretty cool to go to work everyday and do something that you truly enjoy. Since I can't make a living riding full time, this will have to do :) My second half schedule isn't set yet. With this current economy, I suspect that I will have to be on the road a bit more that I have been previously.

I have never painted metal, but I am thinking of picking up an old beater frame and trying it. i don't think that the skill set is that much different.