PDA

View Full Version : Fizik Arione Carbon - anyone?

BdaGhisallo
11-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Just wondering if anyone with arione experience has tried the new arione carbon and can compare the differences, apart from the extra $100 in price.

thanks.

Russ
11-27-2004, 07:39 PM
I have two, one on my Legend and one on my Ottrott... I like these saddles much better than the standard Arione.

IMO, more comfortable and cushioned, but pretty much the same otherwise. The old Arione tended to get a bit hard after a while or after some rain on it. But I find the new carbon Arione much better cushined in the center, especially. I am certain that the carbon/kevlar helps a lot in this area. I also like the fact that the new carbon saddle has scuff guards, since I tend to lean the bike prescisely in the area where they put the guards. My old Ariones got a bit scratched as they had no scuff guards.

So, the benefits are not just on weight savings... I would not go back to the standard Arione, although I have one on my CSI. Neither I would go back to the Aliante.

I understand this is not such an indepth comment on the saddle, so if you have more specific questions, I'll be gald to expand.

jerk
11-27-2004, 09:46 PM
the walser and the c50 both have'em. they were free. the jerk likes the white stripe on them but finds the saddle perfect on the walser but a bit too soft on the c50....as the jerk said earlier they were free and the shape is fine but were the jerk to purchase a saddle it would probably not be an arione carbon....it could very well be an arione although a rolls would be fine as would a flite as would a turbo or even that funny radius saddle with the snake on it pretty much any flat saddle that has farily firm padding. round saddles don't work for the jerk so gobis, concors and all the rest are no-gos.
somehow it seems most serious cyclists either like round saddles or flat saddles...
jerk

tch
11-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Hey J: Your "round" vs. "flat" organization is interesting. I haven't seen enough saddles to know however. I am interested because of this: I have an Aliante on my Concours that I really like. On my just-built Rivendell, I have a no-name Cannondale seat that the bike shop gave me. I don't like it...but I am in no position to spend $179 on a seat for a second bike just yet; my wife is still getting over the money I spent on the frame, etc for the Rivendell. So... my question: do you (or anyone else for that matter) have a suggestion for a cheap Aliante-like seat. I had considered both a Flite and a Concors, but now you put them in opposing camps.

And before anyone goes off, I know, I know, I know: buy the same seat as you already have or get a Brooks. Neither of those are options right now, so I don't need that advice. Thank you.