PDA

View Full Version : NYT Editorial & Bikes

Louis
01-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Even in a story that is somewhat sympathetic to cyclists we "neon-colored beetles" still get hate. Amazing. I know the whole world is not just about me/us, and we need to be concerned about how all folks in our society are being treated, but to toss in that gratuitous slap at the spandex-wearing crowd is unnecessary.

Louis

Link to NYT page (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/opinion/11sun3.html?_r=1&ref=opinion)

January 11, 2009
Editorial
Men on Bicycles
By LAWRENCE DOWNES

A well-worn landscape like Long Island’s yields few surprises to the driver’s gaze. Shops cluster by size and species: pizza with bagels and nail salons, Home Depot with Old Navy. But one roadside incongruity that always unnerves me is the sight of a person outside the shell of a car on purpose — like a man pedaling slowly beside a highway on a bicycle.

Bicyclists and suburbs are an uneasy fit. I don’t mean the racing bikers who swarm like neon-colored beetles, hogging the middle of the road. I’m talking about the guys without helmets, on beat-up mountain bikes: restaurant workers wearing windbreakers over white dress shirts and ties; men in sweatshirts and baseball caps riding home from the store, plastic shopping bags hanging awkwardly off the handlebars.

Such sights are evidence of a valiant adaptation to a hostile environment. For immigrant workers, as with so many of us in the suburbs, life boils down to the job, the bed and the travel between. But when you live in a landscape designed for cars, and you are poor, and it is too far to walk to work, and there’s no bus to take you there, the only option is two wheels. This is what is cheap and effective. It can also be deadly.

On Christmas Day, a car going at least 80 miles per hour on Route 111 in Central Islip hit a bicyclist, Hector Rapalo. The driver sped off. Mr. Rapalo, a 39-year-old Honduran immigrant who worked at a pizza shop, died. Police said that the collision may or may not have been an accident, but that the driver surely knew that he or she had struck someone.

Immigrants ask for little more than the opportunity to work so they can send money home. Their lives are quiet but precarious, in a place that accepts their labor but offers little warmth or welcome. An inveterate hostility sometimes sinks into brutality, as in the fatal stabbing in Patchogue last November of Marcelo Lucero, an Ecuadorean immigrant set upon by a gang of teenagers.

The accidents they suffer go unnoticed, except when carnage briefly makes the news: Santos Javier Ramos, 21, a bicyclist killed by a car in Selden; Enrique Aguilar-Gamez, 26, fatally struck by a minivan while bicycling in Copiague; Adolfo Reyes, 42, a day laborer badly injured by a hit-and-run driver while on foot in Holtsville. The police in that case suspected a hate crime, because there were no skid marks or evidence that the driver slowed down after Mr. Reyes flew into his windshield, fracturing his skull, collarbone and arm.

Ozz
01-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Interesting...."a car going at least 80 miles per hour"..."police...suspected a hate crime"....yet the conclusion is that "Bicyclists and suburbs are an uneasy fit".

Perhaps the general population and cars are an "uneasy fit" and the right to drive one should be more strict?

BumbleBeeDave
01-11-2009, 03:48 PM
<<Bicyclists and suburbs are an uneasy fit. I don’t mean the racing bikers who swarm like neon-colored beetles, hogging the middle of the road.>>

Well, I'm not surprised we get what we deserve when someone hits us, since we "hog the middle of the road."

I'm not sure what the writer is advocating here, though . . . prohibit immigrants from riding bikes? This seems to be the type of editorial that we in the Journalism biz call a "thumb sucker" . . . the writer observes the problem and ruminates on it, but doesn't really suggest any better way or solution. In this one, though, he also achieves the dubious goal of coming across as completely elitist.

Obviously the solution here is for the police to enforce traffic laws so cyclists have the equal access to the road that the law says they should have. And to conduct a thorough investigation to try and find the car and driver that did it. But these riders are, after all, poor immigrants that the suburban soccer moms and dads don't want to see on "their" turf anyway, so what do you think the chances are that's going to happen? Right . . . :crap:

BBD

torquer
01-12-2009, 02:34 PM
I caught this over the weekend, too, and while not happy about the "hogging the middle of the road" remark, I let it go because of the editorial's larger point(s): immigrant workers' life is tough (even more so when they are undocumented), cyclists are vulnerable, and the intersection of these two facts is lethal.

I grew up on Long Island, and was thinking about the (slim) chances for justice for the victims described in the piece; NYTs editorials aside, the local cops surely won't be getting much political pressure to solve these crimes. And putting us "neon-colored beetles" in a separate category won't help things, either.

Imagine the rage of the driver who ran down Hector Rapalo at 80 mph. Now, having gotten away with that, imagine him taking aim at the lycra-clad "beetles" the next time that he feels they are slowing him down. Our lives are, no doubt, much easier that those of the "men in sweatshirts and baseball caps riding home from the store", but we share a vulnerability, and ignoring our similarities increases our risks as well.

BumbleBeeDave
01-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Imagine the rage of the driver who ran down Hector Rapalo at 80 mph. Now, having gotten away with that, imagine him taking aim at the lycra-clad "beetles" the next time that he feels they are slowing him down.

. . . but while the writer seems concerned about the poor immigrants on bikes--in his "I'm-looking-down-my-nose-at-you" William F. Buckleyesque way, I don't really detect any similar feelings toward us "neon beetles." Would he care if any of us got run down at 80 mph? I'm doubting it . . .

BBD