PDA

View Full Version : Branford Bikes

Nil Else
01-10-2009, 07:36 PM
What happened to the Branford bikes site? Tim's sold the place?

What I want to know is where did all the detailed info about all things/parts Campy go? I hope they were moved to another site or something... Does anyone know?

Dekonick
01-10-2009, 07:38 PM
BIG fire. Burned the place down.

Sucks big time.

Nil Else
01-10-2009, 07:44 PM
BIG fire. Burned the place down.

Sucks big time.

After the fire, I do remember that Tim did re-open his site as it used to be for a little while... as I was checking it out a few months ago. But now it's completely different site/store.

I really appreciated all the detailed drawings explanations etc about all the Campy parts he's put up on his site over the years. They are all gone now... bummer!

MarcusPless
01-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Did you try here (http://branfordbike.com/)? Click on the Knowledge Base link at the top of the page.

--Marcus

Nil Else
01-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Did you try here (http://branfordbike.com/)? Click on the Knowledge Base link at the top of the page.

--Marcus

Yep. not the same.... not even close :(

All the detailed info he had were extensive... seriously extensive.

FMS_rider
01-10-2009, 08:10 PM

--Marcus

I found the knowledge base blurb on tubular tires to be particularly interesting --I always thought that tubular aging was superstition, but it apparently is not for high end tires with hand-glued treads. The branford guy ages all non-vulcanized tires before selling them. (impressive!) Here is the last paragraph from his comments:

"The trick to aging is to remover tire from manufacturer's packing box, inflate to approximately half the rated capacity and let hang in a dark, climate controlled environment (think wine cellar) for at least 60 days. Don't have time for all this? Not a problem--all non vulcanized tubular tires sold at Branford Bike have been pre-aged in this manner for at least 60 days. All you have to do after ordering is mount and enjoy--happy riding!"

Thanks for the link to the new site --I used to buy a lot of stuff from Branford before the fire.

Lew

Joellogicman
01-10-2009, 08:28 PM
What happened to the Branford bikes site? Tim's sold the place?

What I want to know is where did all the detailed info about all things/parts Campy go? I hope they were moved to another site or something... Does anyone know?

Original BB was totaled by a fire. Original owner ultimately decided to sell.

The new owners have a different approach. You should not let that stop you from trying them. They stock a lot of stuff. Prices are fair. And I have found the new crew to be conscientious upstanding people to work with. They are not a big company. Believe it is a couple of enthusiasts and a spouse.

Viper
01-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Anyone that carries the smaller Campy parts and many Campy items is a winner = http://branfordbike.com/itemlist.cfm?searchtype=Brand&catalogid=39&name=Search+Results+-+%25Brand%25&Brand=42

:beer:

Nil Else
01-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Original BB was totaled by a fire. Original owner ultimately decided to sell.

The new owners have a different approach. You should not let that stop you from trying them. They stock a lot of stuff. Prices are fair. And I have found the new crew to be conscientious upstanding people to work with. They are not a big company. Believe it is a couple of enthusiasts and a spouse.

I'm sure they are... and I'll probably buy from them as I don't discriminate shops as long as they have what I want, good service, and price. I wasn't saying anything derogatory about the new shop/owners. I was simply stating my disappointment on the absence of the information I used to be able to access from the old Branford pages as I've always relied on the old Branford site's parts list and the explanations drawings ("knowledge base") pages as one of the first place to look for anything campy that I wasn't exactly sure about. Perhaps Tim(former owner) could donate the file to Campy Only to archive it on their site or something. :beer:

john903
01-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Yes they are still around, they are in Seattle in a small shop just south of Recycled Cycles. If you are ever in Seattle the shop is a bit hard to find but a treasure trove of knowledge just talking to the folks. They rebuilt my 2000 Chorus shifters and derailurs good or better than new now. They still stock tiny obscure parts, in fact several months ago I bought the retainer spring that hold the pawls inside the freehub and gives them tension $5.00, it's all good. I don't know how to attach links but just google Branford Bike. Good Luck.
John