PDA

View Full Version : Veloskin Frame Protector . . .

BumbleBeeDave
01-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I'm getting the Queen Bee overhauled right now with everything stripped off the frame for cleaning. I'm going to touch up all the paint chips, etc., and it seems like this would be a good time to do anything else necessary to protect the finish. Here's a link. Worth $39.95? Or is there something I could get locally at someplace like Home Despot that would do the same thing for cheaper?

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Frame+Protector&vendorCode=VELOSKIN&major=6&minor=8

BBD

sr51
01-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I believe it's the same material as the 3M clear-bra stuff that you see on cars. It feels the same and mine has 3M written all over the backing paper. You can try contacting an automotive shop that does window tinting to see if you can get bulk sheets cheaper.

The veloskin comes with patterns already cut that fit various areas of a bike frame, which makes application easier. The only pattern that I actually used though was the chainstay protector. For the rest of the frame, I just cut out small pieces to put where something was going to rub. It stays in place well and does a good job protecting the paint from scratches.

Campyonly has an article where they used it to cover large sections of the frame:

http://www.campyonly.com/roadtests/2006/veloskin.html

Chief
01-10-2009, 06:56 PM
For protection of chain stays and other places I use Scotch Decorate and Repair Clear Tape (I think it is Mylar) available at your local hardware store for a couple of bucks. Simply cut to fit.

Steve in SLO
01-11-2009, 12:25 AM
I used 3M Expel clear film...same as for a car. I bought a couple of feet worth for much less than the kit. You can Google "3m expel" and find a lot of vendors who sell by length. I believe rolls are either 12" or 24" wide and come in 2 thicknesses. I used the thinner on the bottom of my downtube and thicker on my chainstay and at Ergoshifter contact points on the headtube.

fjaws
01-11-2009, 03:59 AM
I use this....sticks well and works great.

http://www.autosupermart.com/store/shop/3m84853.html?id=onPEIs5T

01-11-2009, 11:43 AM
It's actually the film used to create colored window and vehicle body advertising. The stuff comes in huge wide rolls (to fit buses and cars, duh) and is printable on wide inkjet printers. Its major attributes, compared to many of the options described here, are that it peels off without removing paint or clearcoat and it doesn't get marred itself by chips, things you lean a bike against, etc. And the adhesive doesn't create a sticky edge that collects junk over time or starts to peel up. It just keeps looking new.

I got a couple pieces from an advertising shop that prepared such ads (they're in the Yellow Pages) but a narrow roll (24 inches wide x 5 yards) isn't all that expensive.

My recommendation: Don't get the Veloskins. It's pre-cut in case you want to slather your whole bike in the stuff, but frankly, it's best used in just a few places where cables rub, on your chainstay, perhaps a bit on your top tube if you're not too careful with how you lean your bike. It's also superb for holding down cables for your SRM (or any wired bike computer, for that matter) -- this is the main use I have for it. There are a couple other packaging versions similar to Veloskins but without all the pre-cutting (and also a good bit cheaper). There are some different anti-chip products available for car lower side panels and also used on motorcycles but they are noticeably thicker and don't handle curved surfaces (which bike frames do have from time to time) very well.

FMS_rider
01-11-2009, 02:20 PM
I bought a "universal fit kit" from Veloskin for $21.95 last February --it was mostly just a wide roll rather than the collection of useless pre-cut pieces in the $40 version. I am very impressed with the stuff --I used it to cover vulnerable spots on a steel bike I transport on a "bones" rack, as well as spots on the trunk lid (my wife's car!) that the rack comes into contact with. You can see it but you have to look pretty closely especially if you can position it next to chages in color, decals etc.

What impressed me most was that it is flexible enough so that I was able to cover the portion of the crankarm and spider that is vulnerable to heel scuffs on a DA 7800 crankset using a single piece. I cut it so that it follows a ridge at the junction of the arm and spider so that it is damn near impossible to see. That enabled me to avoid all scuffs on the highly polished surface for the entire season. On the left crankarm it conformed to the contours when I wrapped it around to the back. The tape is really tough and was unaffected by sunlight, rain and washing.

I'm sure the price is outrageous relative to cost --I googled for a cheaper supplier of the 3M stuff that Veloskin is marketing without success but haven't looked again since last Feb. However if you are concerned about maintaining resale value it could be worthwhile (not my concern since I never sell anything --I am just an aesthetics-weenie)

Here's a review: http://www.campyonly.com/roadtests/2006/veloskin.html

edit: A potential downside is that water vapor appears to traverse the tape. I covered small rust-free (new) defect on an 853 frame with a single layer of the tape and a year later there is a hint of rust on the surface. However I also did a test on an 853 chainstay with a rather large chain-suck scrape with an impressive result. I "wet-or-dry sanded" off all traces of rust, painted the defect with cheap primer and enamel (Testor's) rather than good stuff, then covered the area with the 3M tape. A year later there is no trace of rust, although in my experience 853 steel is particularly rust-resistant (but a water-filled 853 bottom bracket will rust if uncoated).

Conclusion: if the Bumblebee were mine I would use the tape --future generations will thank you. In fact I will send what you need if you provide some measurements.
Lew

BumbleBeeDave
01-11-2009, 03:34 PM
You are totally DA' MAN! I'll get some measurements and PM you. I'm really looking for a few pieces to put in the cable rub spots and also a few larger pieces to put on the underside of my downtube where the paint chips and mashed earhworms always seem to accumulate and on the chainstays.

BBD

Charles M
01-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Go to (or meet up with, as they're mobile) any Clear Bra installer...

$10 will get you enough for 5 bikes...

Any thin flexible spatula will work for install and the liquid is simply alchohol and water mix...

$39.95 is absolutely insane.

BumbleBeeDave
01-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Go to (or meet up with, as they're mobile) any Clear Bra installer...

$10 will get you enough for 5 bikes...

Any thin flexible spatula will work for install and the liquid is simply alchohol and water mix...

$39.95 is absolutely insane.

. . . but I'm far more intrigued by what a "clear bra" looks like! ;)

Will they have models?

BBD

FMS_rider
01-11-2009, 05:23 PM
You are totally DA' MAN! I'll get some measurements and PM you. I'm really looking for a few pieces to put in the cable rub spots and also a few larger pieces to put on the underside of my downtube where the paint chips and mashed earhworms always seem to accumulate and on the chainstays.

BBD ...anything Dave to help preserve that museum piece, not to mention an additional incentive to keep those embarrassing photos off the internet ;)

BumbleBeeDave
01-12-2009, 03:30 PM
...anything Dave to help preserve that museum piece, not to mention an additional incentive to keep those embarrassing photos off the internet ;)

I'd already decided not to post those pics. I just figured no one would ever believe that a guy like you would do that in public, anyway! :eek: :rolleyes:

BBD

FMS_rider
01-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I'd already decided not to post those pics. I just figured no one would ever believe that a guy like you would do that in public, anyway! :eek: :rolleyes:

BBD :fight: