PDA

View Full Version : Just another reason for owning a second bike...

Kevan
11-27-2004, 10:41 AM
I snapped a cable 4 miles into a beeee-autiful ride with 5 other club cronies. It just HAD to be the rear derrailleur that went. :crap: It was a hilly route and I just knew that any qucik fix would only mean I was holding people up on the climbs. The better part of valor was to count myself out and let them ride on without me.

Maybe now that my wife had to go out of her way to rescue me, take the bike to the shop I can better support my arguement. :D

She'll see straight thru me and she's going to insist since I'm home early that I can put up the outdoor Christmas lights...

AAARRGGGHHHH!!!

Smiley
11-27-2004, 11:40 AM
You took the whole bike in for a snaped rear derailer cable ....Come on Kevan tell me it aint so . You must know how to replace this cable right ?

Anyway dbrk was selling some nice Serotta's for a great price , I think our guy Fly picked himself up a CSI as a THIRD road bike . Your next :banana:

djg
11-27-2004, 01:14 PM
trying for a backup on the basis of dirty handlebar tape (need something to ride while waiting for the special-ordered color to come in) but ... maybe not much better.

M_A_Martin
11-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Yeah...I don't think: "I can't maintain my bike myself" (OUCH!) is really a good argument for a second bike...

Kevan
11-27-2004, 09:58 PM
okay? Besides, I was busy gaining brownie points with "she who must be obeyed", by installling outdoor Christmas lights and other such domesticities.

Hey, we all know bikes don't come cheap! :D

Kevin
11-28-2004, 05:27 AM
Kevan,

I just have a SAG wagon follow me on all rides. If I have a problem they give me a new Ottrott to ride while they fix the old one.

All joking aside, I agree with you that the cost of having someone else fix the bike is well worth it when balanced against marital bliss.

Kevin

Kevan
11-28-2004, 10:20 AM
When installing the brake cable along the top tube, and assuming you use casing for that stretch, you might also want to install a few rubber grommets over the casing to help reduce the annoying slap sound you might otherwise get when traveling the courser roads. The Calfee has three guides so two grommets were placed between the two gaps. I haven't yet tested these newly installed silencers, but I expect they will help soften the clatter.

Stay tuned until next week when I answer a letter that asks, "How do you remove spilled nail polish from a toupee." :confused:

coylifut
11-28-2004, 10:25 AM
fix it yourself, use the $ saved to buy flowers.

csb
11-28-2004, 10:27 AM
peanut butter

M_A_Martin
11-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Ah Kevan,
In addition the rubber grommets on the cables prevent the slap sound you hear from turning into paint wear! So, where they save you the aggrevation of hearing those slapping cables, they also help prevent clear coat/paint scuffage aggrevation as well...at least they're supposed to.
Of course, if your bike has a sloping top tube the little rubber grommets tend to migrate down to the cable stop next to the seat tube...but it's the thought that counts...isn't it.

Ginger