PDA

View Full Version : I'll be in Boston in January...

shinomaster
11-27-2004, 02:32 AM
Who wants to go out for Guinness??? Too cold to ride???

Bill Bove
11-27-2004, 08:13 AM
Even in January, Red Sox will be the fashion choice. So you'll have to leave your black ones at home. :argue:

BumbleBeeDave
11-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Please let me know when you will be in Bean Town and I will do my damnedest to get over there. I think gathering as many Phorumites together as possible for a pint or two of Guinness (or other beverage--I hate Guinness!) Would be extremely appropriate.

You flying or driving?

BBDave

Bruce K
11-27-2004, 02:26 PM
A phorumite gathering should work for me.

BK

Kevan
11-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Boston in January? Why? :confused:

aanheier
11-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Guinness is my favorite draft beer.

But why somebody would come voluntarily to Boston in January is beyond me too.

Alfred

pete
11-27-2004, 05:09 PM
I would be interested in joining in too!

shinomaster
11-27-2004, 05:32 PM
well...my Mom lives there and we are going to Turkey in January. So I'll be in Boston for a few days before and after the trip to the land of Turquoise..

Larry D
11-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a good idea.
I am up for it.
When and where?

coylifut
11-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Boston in January? Why? :confused:

Maybe he's being extradited?

BumbleBeeDave
11-27-2004, 06:26 PM
. . . So what day are we aiming for? Where should we meet?

Redbones? It seems a little late for Turkey . . . ;)

BBDave

Bill Bove
11-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Is the Wursthaus in Harvard Sq still open? I always enjoyed both their food and deep beer list.

shinomaster
11-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Border Cafe??

aanheier
11-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Isn't there a John Harvards Brewhouse in Cambridge too? I haven't been there, but the one in Framingham is terrific.

Bill Bove
11-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Where in Framingham? I was born and raised in Framingham. Love the town, hate the weather.

aanheier
11-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Shoppers World plaza, between Rte 9 and Rte 30

William
11-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi Shino,
If you come into "B" Town, I'd be happy to down a Guinness wit ya. Just let me know when.

William

:)

Bill Bove
11-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Shoppers World plaza, between Rte 9 and Rte 30
That's where I grew up! 1/4 mile from Shppers World, I'd of thought that they would toen that place down by now. Long before they built up the area in the mid 60's there used to be bike races around the outer perimeter of the parking lot.

quattro
11-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Bill, Shoppers World was the first "modern" mall in the U.S.,yes, it has been torn down and replaced with a much larger shopping mall of one store larger than the next set up like dominos (best buy, sports authority, toys 'r us...) Lots of good places in the general area to meet, I'm in, let us know where and what date.

BumbleBeeDave
11-30-2004, 09:43 PM
. . . to the vastly superior local knowledge of others here and go wherever you guys want. But I need to know an exact date so I can plan. There are custody considerations to be worked out . . . Am I assuming correctly this would be on a weekend?

BBDave

shinomaster
12-03-2004, 06:03 PM
I arrive in Boston Jan. 5th leave for Turkey on the 11th. get back from Turkey (God willing) on the 27th. Leave for Portland on the 31st... Only a few days in Boston actually. Maybe an early dinner at Harvard square on the 6th -8th??

alembical
12-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Its all a trick. Don't fall for it. Shino has been talking about grabbing a beer in Portland for 6 months and watching the Tour this summer. Oh wait, it must just be me... Oh well, I will drink by myself.

Alembical

shinomaster
12-03-2004, 07:11 PM
aww Ben!! I just got sick!! No riding this weekend!! I'm home being snotty...When is a good night for a beer?? Lets out for happy hour!

BumbleBeeDave
12-13-2004, 09:00 AM
I could definitely make Sat the 8th or Sunday the 9th for an early dinner. I could also be there Sat. 29th or Sunday the 30th , but I would have to bring daughter BBGeneva, which might not be real conducive to carousing. :rolleyes:

Anybody else like, say, the 8th? :confused:

BBDave

shinomaster
12-14-2004, 01:22 PM
8th works for me..

davids
12-14-2004, 01:42 PM
How about Doyle's (http://www.doylescafe.com/index.html) in Jamaica Plain? They've got Guiness on tap, and about 100 other choices. After we're through, we can go cyclocross through Franklin Park!

William
12-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Tentatively I'm good for the 8th. Nothing else on the agenda, but will double check with Mrs William.

William

Ti Designs
12-14-2004, 04:31 PM
Hang on a second. Too cold to ride? When did that happen?? If it's too cold to ride around here in the winter how do some of you get the yearly mileage that you claim in the "who are you?" thread???

I coach a team that goes out Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 6:45 from Wheelworks in Belmont - you're more than welcome to join in. The ride is about 2 hours depending on the route, I tack on an extra loop to get my full 4 hours in. This is base milage for me, it's not fast (we're talking January here) and I'm on a fixed gear in a 42x20 with cross tires on.

As for the Guinness, I say R.F O'sullivans in Somerville. They have the best burgers around, and if you're gonna ride you gotta eat! Redbones is bike friendly, but their portions keep getting smaller...

So, do we need to start a new topic about winter clothing???

BumbleBeeDave
12-14-2004, 07:08 PM
. . . we need to start another thread about totally crazy people who insist on riding all winter in Boston! ;) :rolleyes: :p

BBDave . . . nice and warm in spin class.

BumbleBeeDave
12-14-2004, 09:52 PM
What time of day on the 8th would this be? It's almost a three hour drive back to Schenectady and I don't want to get home TOO late--need my beauty sleep. Trust me on this . . . :eek:

The place is irrelevant . . . I'll trust your judgement. Just give me directions.

BBDave

shinomaster
12-15-2004, 08:02 PM
wow! Three hours to have a beer!! Just don't get too plastered!!! Hmmm... I think 6:00 or 7 would be good?? Maybe at Border Cafe? Red Bones is too loud and the food is so so...

BumbleBeeDave
12-15-2004, 08:22 PM
I WAS planning to have something to eat, too.

BBDave

quattro
12-16-2004, 06:53 AM
I second Border Cafe, all those in favor say...

William
12-16-2004, 07:23 AM
I'm not familiar with all the establishments up that way so I'll defer to the folks with the knowledge of the area. I just need to know where and when and I'll likely be there.

William

BumbleBeeDave
12-31-2004, 09:50 PM
Are we doing this? If we are, isn’t it about time to firm up some details?

If we are not I need to know, because a conflict has arisen for me on the 8th. Shino, any chance I could come to Boston the weekend after you get back from Turkey? I have my daughter that weekend, but maybe it might work out better. She and I could do the museum thing, then grab a bite with you? . . .

BBDave

shinomaster
12-31-2004, 10:00 PM
Bumble Bee MAn,

Plase don't kill yourself to come to Boston just to meet me! I would feel bad it if messed up time with your daughter! I am intending to make it east again this Summer for the TDFL or Open House or Just to visit my Dad in Elmira, NY. so I see you eventually I'm sure.

I'm not sure when I get back from Turkey But I'll let you know!

Shino

BumbleBeeDave
12-31-2004, 10:25 PM
I would not be killing myself to get to Boston to meet you. I have just had a conflict come up on the 8th. My daughter and I have done expeditions to Beantown before and this would work out well if it would not be taking too much of YOUR time on the 29th or 30th.

BBGeneva and I have done the aquarium and the science museum before and there are still plenty of museums left on the list. We could also possibly afflict, er, I mean visit Bruce K and of course stop by Belmont Wheelworks.

BBDave

shinomaster
12-31-2004, 11:18 PM
Oh I see...you just want an excuse to visit Bruck K and Wheelworks!!

Dave seriously I'll let you know about the 28th or 29th..

shino

Climb01742
01-01-2005, 06:59 AM
wheelworks is as good as most museums...they have lots of nice eye-candy...sorry to miss your visit shino...but a trip to phoenix, seattle and LA is commandeering the next six weeks of my life...hope you have fun here. :D

Climb01742
01-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Hang on a second. Too cold to ride? When did that happen?? If it's too cold to ride around here in the winter how do some of you get the yearly mileage that you claim in the "who are you?" thread??? So, do we need to start a new topic about winter clothing???

right you are, ed. i've been out the last three days and will today, too (new year's day). the only thing that i draw the line at is...when the roads get too snow-narrowed...leaving no shoulder to bail out on due to crazy boston drivers...but while there's still snow on the ground here, the roads are wide enough lately...but the last three days i've seen maybe TWO other riders...where the heck are you guys????!!!!!...if the belgian hardmen can do it, we can to, right....right?...of course my MXL looks like a sand magnet right now... ;)

Ti Designs
01-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Climb,

I went out for a few hours today, even did the Tour de Concord, didn't see you out there. It was warm enough to go with minimal shoe covers, but when I got home my socks were black. Seemed a bit wrong to me too, as they started white...

So do we have a time and place to meet? I think I can find Wheelworks.

Birch Hill
01-04-2005, 11:18 AM
I live 2 blocks from wheelworks and we need a 12-step program to keep us away! Hubby just bought a 2nd bike (Colnago) and we are building up my son's Fondriest :) ...I'm the serotta rider in the family.

So what date time? RIDE? BEER?

FYI - Belmont is a dry town so we'll have to drink elsewhere.

shinomaster
01-04-2005, 11:22 AM
we are still trying to figure out the dates. Dave the 30th isn't that great for me as I fly home on the 31st..I'll try to figure it out soon. When I get to Boston i'll have no computer so I wont be in touch this way.

shino

BumbleBeeDave
01-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Just call me and we'll work something out. Maybe BBGen and I can come to see you Saturday PM, then crash at Motel6 and do museums Sunday.

But let's do SOMETHING! I already have $$ earmarked to stop by Belmont and buy you some black socks! ;)

BBDave

Climb01742
01-04-2005, 12:30 PM
I already have $$ earmarked to stop by Belmont and buy you some black socks! ;)

BBDave

hey, dave, who's side are you on? :p

William
01-04-2005, 01:20 PM
hey, dave, who's side are you on?

The Dark side!! :D

"Shino, together with our black socks, we can rule the universe!!!...or just be color co-ordinated" (shrug).

William ;)

Tom
01-04-2005, 01:34 PM
I already have $$ earmarked to stop by Belmont and buy you some black socks! ;)

BBDave

I'm in for one black sock.

Bradford
01-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Not to derail the important black sock debate, but is this Saturday out as a date? I was going to try to make it to help William represent the Ocean State.

If it is at the end of the month instead, I think I can make that.

William
01-04-2005, 01:59 PM
All right Bradford! Rho-Dilanders will represent!!! :D

At this point I can probably still do this weekend but it's not looking like it's going to happen.

William (just waiting for a date!....You know what I mean) :rolleyes:

spiderman
01-04-2005, 04:09 PM
it's apparently never too cold to ride in boston
at least on saturday mornings...

Birch Hill
01-05-2005, 12:25 PM
I spoke with my riding partner (hubby: Pinarello&Colnago) about getting together with my imaginary cycling friends and he agreed, that as long as he's around, that you all could come over and drink beers and talk bikes at our house after visiting Mecca (Wheelworks).

Are people bringing bikes? or are we just drinking????

Is this option something people would be interested in (cheaper, closer etc) or do we prefer a public gathering spot?

Looks like we're talking the end of the month....

BURCH

Climb01742
01-05-2005, 12:37 PM
i've never killed an axe in my life...

Birch Hill
01-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm very active on another board for runners (international) and we recently have been gathering in real life. I hosted a race and brunch this spring and we had a mystery guest come all the way from Miami!

Needless to say my teenage daughter was appalled that I got together with internet strangers. Indeed it was/is very hypocritical of me as I'd ground her for life if she ever did such a thing.

But seriously I'd love to hook-up at Wheelworks and walk the 2 blocks to my house to hang-out. They way I see it is that this is a great way to meet some cycling buddies. My husband, 11 y/o son (he's wicked good) and I all ride and can't wait to hit the road for real again come spring. The trainer and gym just don't cut it.

When we get close to picking a date we can figure it all out.

No matter what - or where- count me in.

BURCH

BumbleBeeDave
01-05-2005, 02:25 PM
. . . then I can be there on the 29th, even if Shino IS abducted by Turkish black sock cyclist traffickers and sold into cycle maintenance slavery in Singapore!

BBDave

shinomaster
01-10-2005, 03:50 PM
I get back from Turkey on the 28th..then I leave the 30th..so the 29th just isn't going to work out so sorry!! next year?? or this summer!

shino... :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
01-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Sorry you cannot get together with BBGeneva and I, but that doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t still have a Forum Boston Tea Party . . .

Anyone interested? :confused:

BBDave

William
01-10-2005, 07:55 PM
that doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t still have a Forum Boston Tea Party . . .

Anyone interested?

There is a good chance I can do it. Just let me know when and where. Maybe Bradford can still come to so we can be the dynamic duo repping for the Ocean State. :)

William

Bradford
01-10-2005, 08:01 PM
I'll be there with black socks on!

:banana:

Ti Designs
01-10-2005, 08:22 PM
that you all could come over and drink beers and talk bikes at our house after visiting Mecca (Wheelworks).

Are people bringing bikes? or are we just drinking????

Hmmmm, sounds like an extra trip to me. Why not go to wheelworks. talk bikes and have a few beers while you're there. Bring some extra beer (say two or three cases) and I'm sure you could talk some of the mechanics into joining in - just don't invite the sales staff!!!

As for riding, there's a group that rides down Trapelo road on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and stops across the street from Wheelworks at around 6:45AM to pick up riders who come in from another direction. At this time of year we welcome anybody who's nuts enough to ride.

BumbleBeeDave
01-11-2005, 07:36 AM
. . . William, Bradford, and I are all interested for Saturday the 29th. What if we met at Wheelworks late afternoon, give ourselves an hour or so to drool, then grab something to eat? That would give BB Geneva and myself time to do something for her earlier in the day. Not sure what--Museum? Aquarium? Find a mall and spend all Dad’s money?

Perhaps if we can find out where Shino’s mom lives we could drive by and yell taunts . . . Anybody know how late Wheelworks is open? :confused:

BBDave

Bradford
01-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Wheelworks is open until 6 PM for winter hours.

Birch Hill
01-12-2005, 11:36 AM
For getting together on the 29th - Reminder my house is 2 blocks from Wheelworks so it's not an extra trip!

If people would rather grab something to eat and beers eleswhere that's cool too.

BURCH

Hmmmm, sounds like an extra trip to me. Why not go to wheelworks. talk bikes and have a few beers while you're there. Bring some extra beer (say two or three cases) and I'm sure you could talk some of the mechanics into joining in - just don't invite the sales staff!!!

As for riding, there's a group that rides down Trapelo road on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and stops across the street from Wheelworks at around 6:45AM to pick up riders who come in from another direction. At this time of year we welcome anybody who's nuts enough to ride.

William
01-13-2005, 06:49 AM
All I need to know is:

What Bat time,
What Bat Location,
What Bat Channel....
And, Holy Guacamole Batman! I'll be there! :D

William

Sorry, TV flashbacks from my childhood (ZONK....POW...ZOWIE!!!). :banana:

shinomaster
01-15-2005, 07:56 AM
maybe Ill show up...Türkish computers are dıfferent!!!

BumbleBeeDave
01-15-2005, 01:50 PM
. . . 3pm or 4pm at Wheelworks? We can all wear white carnations or something! We could go to Birch Hill’s house or somewhere else--I’m open to suggestions.

BBDave

William
01-15-2005, 02:01 PM
We can all wear white carnations or something!

I vote for a cane in the right hand, and a VeloNews folded under the left arm. :rolleyes:

Time should be ok for me.

William

BumbleBeeDave
01-15-2005, 06:16 PM
How about 4pm at Wheelworks on Saturday the 29th, drool for an hour, then onward to eats?

But in all fairness to Birch Hill, I think we should decide in advance whether to go elsewhere or to her house and what BYOB if any we should bring if we’re going to her place. I wouldn’t want her to roast a whole pig or something, then have us decide to go elsewhere.

If we are to go elsewhere, I nominate Redbones BBQ . . . if I can remember how the $%#& to get there from Wheelworks! :rolleyes:

Perhaps if Shino shows he will wear a fez and black socks so we can recognize him!

BBDave

wwtsui
01-15-2005, 06:38 PM
my house is 2 blocks from Wheelworks
...if I lived that close, I'd either spend way too much time, money (or both) there... (put differently: I'm jealous!)

In any case, time should work for me.

I vote for a cane in the right hand, and a VeloNews folded under the left arm. :rolleyes:

So, how will we identify forumites? Should we pick a location within the store to gather?

BumbleBeeDave
01-15-2005, 08:30 PM
. . . I would subtly and with great class announce my presence . . . by strutting in and yelling, “HEY! Where are the Forum rats?!?!” :eek:

:banana: :banana: :banana: (These really have nothing to do with this post--my daughter just wandered into the room and wanted to see the dancing bananas!)

BBDave

BumbleBeeDave
01-26-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm still planning to be at Wheelworks at 4pm on Saturday!

BBDave

Ti Designs
01-26-2005, 06:48 PM
With all the snow we've been getting the shop has been rather quiet. You can ask anyone you bump into if they work there. If they say "no" there's an 80% chance that they are from the forum. If they say "yes" there's a 5% chance that they are on the forum, but they also work there. If they ask you to define "work", it's just me...

William
01-26-2005, 08:06 PM
At this point I'm still planning on being there.

William

BumbleBeeDave
01-26-2005, 08:43 PM
. . . to wear my yellow fleece and black Serotta baseball cap. Well, it started out being black--now it’s faded a bit!

Birch Hill tells me there may still be parking restrictions in effect because of the snow, and that there is a decent Chinese place right around the corner from Wheelworks. I do recall eating there once before and it was pretty good. It’s certainly convenient and would avoid extra searches for parking at another location.

Does everybody like Chinese? Is there anywhere else nearby (walking distance) that’s good? (Clif Bars at Wheelworks doesn’t count.)

BBDave

BumbleBeeDave
01-26-2005, 08:44 PM
William . . . don’t feel like you have to tone things down just for us! ;)

BBDave

William
01-27-2005, 06:56 AM
William . . . don’t feel like you have to tone things down just for us!

Well in that case...the lederhosen and symbols are coming along too. :D

I should preface my coming on one point, my wife came down with strep throat on Saturday and we were all cooped up in the hose during the blizzard. According to our Doc, following a normal incubation period, if I'm not sick by Friday then I'm in the clear (and not contaigeous).

Feeling great so far!!! :banana: (knock on wood)

William

Birch Hill
01-27-2005, 08:02 AM
Hey guys -

I have to be in JP by 5 so I'll be able to come over to Wheel Works at 4 and stay for about 1/2 an hour. I'll be with my son and maybe the hubby as well.

Sorry I won't be able to 'host' in the evening but I must get together with other friends that evening.

See YA :banana:

Bruce K
01-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Barring another snow storm, or other acts of God, I am going to try and get down to Wheelworks for 4:00PM and beyond.

How far away is Redbones anyway?

Ribs......mmmmmmmm

BK

BumbleBeeDave
01-27-2005, 12:45 PM
<<How far away is Redbones anyway?>>

Far enough away that I found my way there once with directions from the friendly staff at WW, but I have no idea how I did it!

BBDave

davids
01-27-2005, 01:31 PM
How far away is Redbones anyway?

Ribs......mmmmmmmm

BK
From the kind folks at Microsoft ;) : Wheelworks to Redbone's (http://mappoint.msn.com/(04ks4zbtbicqns45qwsylc45)/directions.aspx?&StartName=480+Trapelo+Rd%2c+Belmont%2c+MA+02478&StartLocation=42.38724%2c-71.18896&EndName=55+Chester+St%2c+Somerville%2c+MA+02144&EndLocation=42.39493%2c-71.12245&DataSetLangID=USA%2c409&RouteType=Quickest&RouteUnit=Miles)

Ironically, I won't be able to join you because I'll be hosting dinner for my friends who live two blocks from Wheelworks (not Birch Hill...) We're making gnocchi.

BumbleBeeDave
01-27-2005, 01:52 PM
What is "gnocchi?" :confused: :confused: :confused:

BBDave

Bradford
01-27-2005, 02:26 PM
I'll be there at 4:00, but play hockey from 5:00 to 7:00. If the bunch (bananas--bunch, get it? :banana: ) is still together at 7:20 or so, I'll join up again. I'll wear my Co-Motion hat and will be looking for the Bee Man in the Serotta cap. I'll look for you by the Nove in the Fancy bike section.

Gnocchi are very dense Italian pasta, often made with potatoes, sometimes made with Riccotta. I used to make them with my grand mother and still make them every once and a while. Real belly-filling food.

By the way, I was in Wheelworks on Tuesday and they have some cool tan Serotta hats, which won't fade as much as the black.

flydhest
01-27-2005, 02:31 PM
BBDave, gnocchi are heaven (say "ny OH kee", where the "oh" is slightly short due to the double "c" following it and the "ny" is pronounce together in that oh-so Italian way, like Campagnolo)

The don't have to be dense, however. One of the tricks of the trade, so to speak, is to bake the potatoes instead of boiling them. This reduces the moisture and they will bind into the pasta/dumplings with a bit less flour and be less dense and gummy. You can scatter some flour on the counter and just put the potatoes in a food mill or ricer and go.

Sage and brown butter sauce . . . mmmm.

Of course, Redbones rocks, as well.

davids
01-27-2005, 02:57 PM
BBDave, gnocchi are heaven (say "ny OH kee", where the "oh" is slightly short due to the double "c" following it and the "ny" is pronounce together in that oh-so Italian way, like Campagnolo)

The don't have to be dense, however. One of the tricks of the trade, so to speak, is to bake the potatoes instead of boiling them. This reduces the moisture and they will bind into the pasta/dumplings with a bit less flour and be less dense and gummy. You can scatter some flour on the counter and just put the potatoes in a food mill or ricer and go.

Sage and brown butter sauce . . . mmmm.

Of course, Redbones rocks, as well.
Fly,

You rock, as well! Thanks for the advice. This will be my wife's first attempt at making gnocchi. She's an excellent cook, but is always open to input. And she's got a brand-new cast iron frying pan she'd love to make use of! A $50 pan makes her as happy as I am with a brand-new $5k bike....

flydhest
01-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Fly,

You rock, as well! Thanks for the advice. This will be my wife's first attempt at making gnocchi. She's an excellent cook, but is always open to input. And she's got a brand-new cast iron frying pan she'd love to make use of! A $50 pan makes her as happy as I am with a brand-new $5k bike....

Food actually dominates significantly more of my brain time than cycling (don't ask where work fits in, please). I'll have to come up to Beantown and ride with you and cook with the Mrs. Hmmm, don't take that the wrong way. :D

Funny, my wife gave me some cast iron cookware a little while ago and I think I was about as happy as when I got my new/used CSi. Cooking and cycling go together for me, else I'd be waaaaay too fat. As it is, Smiley calls me the Michelin Man. Luckily, if he mouths off, I can drop him.

Cast iron skillets are the steel bikes of the cooking world. Sure, there's other stuff that's fancier, or lighter, or prettier, but boy, you can't go wrong with one. Treat it right and know how to use it and it will make up for all the other shortcomings.

Making gnocchi is a wonderful group/social activity. Doing ravioli or agnolotti is as well, but gnocchi (after the pasta has been made) is easy to do while talking and drinking. Roll it out, cut it, and make the ridges or indentations. I don't trust other people to seal my agnolotti, but gnocchi is a real group thing.

BumbleBeeDave
01-28-2005, 03:08 PM
. . . to the original subject, please! Harrumph!

Anyway, as far as I know here's where it stands:

We will all meet at Wheelworks at 4pm tomorrow, Saturday, January 29, where we will slaver and drool over various bike porn until we have no saliva left. We will then adjourn to whatever nearby eating/drinking establishment is agreed upon by all. Current nominations include Red Bones and the Chinese place around the corner from WW.

No word yet on whether Shino Guest-Of-Honor will join us, nor if The Jerk will be lurking anywhere in the background in his fleece made from recycled Dugast tubulars . . .

See you there!

BBDave

Tom
01-28-2005, 03:24 PM
What is "gnocchi?" :confused: :confused: :confused:

BBDave

You're kidding. Go to Luigi's, be nice and you'll find out why I ride so, so much faster than you do. It's carb-loading with a vengeance. I like theirs because they are gnocchi with a backbone. Some places make them too puffy and light, some places make them gluey like wallpaper paste but the ones at Luigi's are just right.

And besides, it's "What are gnocchi?" Gnocchi is plural. One gnocchi is a gnocchulum. So named because in Roman times they were used to feed people their medicine. That's where we get the word 'ingnocchulated.'

davids
01-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Food actually dominates significantly more of my brain time than cycling (don't ask where work fits in, please). I'll have to come up to Beantown and ride with you and cook with the Mrs. Hmmm, don't take that the wrong way. :D

Funny, my wife gave me some cast iron cookware a little while ago and I think I was about as happy as when I got my new/used CSi. Cooking and cycling go together for me, else I'd be waaaaay too fat. As it is, Smiley calls me the Michelin Man. Luckily, if he mouths off, I can drop him.

Cast iron skillets are the steel bikes of the cooking world. Sure, there's other stuff that's fancier, or lighter, or prettier, but boy, you can't go wrong with one. Treat it right and know how to use it and it will make up for all the other shortcomings.

Making gnocchi is a wonderful group/social activity. Doing ravioli or agnolotti is as well, but gnocchi (after the pasta has been made) is easy to do while talking and drinking. Roll it out, cut it, and make the ridges or indentations. I don't trust other people to seal my agnolotti, but gnocchi is a real group thing.
Fly,

Just let me know when you'll be in town. I told my wife about our exchange, and she gave me one of those "duh!" looks - "Of course you bake the potatoes!" Rest assured, there will be plenty of talking and drinking as the gnocchi are created. :beer:

And now, back to you BBD... ;)

William
01-31-2005, 05:35 AM
Hi folks,

I just wanted to apologize for not making the Serotta Wheel Works drooling (over the bikes) fest. I thought I was in the clear from the strep on Friday. Unfortunately by Saturday morning I was running a 102 temp, chills, and my throat felt like I had swallowed sand. It's been kicking my arse all weekend.

I hope it was a good turn out and you all had a good time.

Sickly Swallowing William :(

William
01-31-2005, 05:50 AM
BTW,
How about a quick summary for those who didn't make it (mainly me). :)

William

Bruce K
01-31-2005, 06:39 AM
William;

It turned out to be a small gathering.

BBD and his daughter, me, Bradford, and Alex, plus Andrew fromthe shop.

It was definitely a droolfest as there were lots of bikes to look at, Ottrotts, a Nove, a CXII, some older stuff like a 20th Anniversary CSI, a couple of Fierte Cross, and so on. Some interesting other bikes as well. The shop was pretty empty (and on a weekend no less) so we could wander at our leisure and chat quite a bit.

We then adjourned to Redbones (minus Bradford who had hockey practice) where a great BBQ dinner was had with more conversation accompanied by some interesting beers.

Parking was a real trip with all the snow, but we managed.

Sorry to hear you were sick William. We'll do another one of these that will, hopefully, be on the road with bikes.

BK

Birch Hill
01-31-2005, 10:47 AM
We had every intention on coming to WW on Saturday - heck we live 2 blocks away - but when we got home one of our 2 dogs was in VERY bad shape. Ends up that he has a ruptured disk and is now paralyzed from the shoulders down.

He's 12 y/o and unless he has spinal surgery (with only 50/50 chance of recovery) this is it. He has no dignity and is in tremendous pain. I really think that at this age letting him go is the best option. I can't stand seeing him suffer and to keep him alive with such a low qualtiy of life at this age doesn't make sense :(

BIRCH

BumbleBeeDave
01-31-2005, 11:40 AM
I found a parking place right in front of Redbiones . . . after getting lont on the way over there and being 15 minutes late! :rolleyes:

It is indeed unfortunate that neither the Jerk nor Shino showed up, as it would have put reliable rest to the ugly rumor that they are the same person! ;)

BBDave

BumbleBeeDave
01-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Oh, my gosh, that is AWFUL! :eek: :( :( :( :(

I am SO sorry! This must be a very difficult time for you and I hope you are able to work things out to do what is best for him. I did not even know there was such as thing as spinal surgery for dogs.

Best of luck and I will be sending positive thoughts your way!

BBDave

William
01-31-2005, 01:22 PM
Bruce K & Bradford, thank you for the gathering update. :cool:

Birch Hill, I'm very sorry to here the news about your dog. I had to put down my buddy of 13 years a couple of years ago. Broke my heart but it really was the best thing for him. It still gets to me, but I'm glad he had a very active life and that it came on quickly.

Choose the road that is right for you and best for your buddy.

William