PDA

View Full Version : Today's SCREAMING DEAL

TimD
01-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Shimano Dura-Ace ST-7900 STI Dual Control Shifters
Now:$699.95
http://echo7.bluehornet.com/ct/3886548:1737589663:m:3:174629765:A7B56CFB4BE41E271 9D5C60649651CB9

Yep, you read that right, $700. For that I'd be motivated to find an entire DA-7700 or DA-7800 bike, keep the levers, and sell the bits...

Shimano are you listening?

BumbleBeeDave
01-09-2009, 10:37 AM
They will invariably go much cheaper as part of a gruppo, but yeah, I think Shimano is in for some rude surprises given the world economic climate right now.

BBD

JeffS
01-09-2009, 10:38 AM
*** kind of link is that...

You're going to route everyone through some marketing/tracking site?

BumbleBeeDave
01-09-2009, 10:40 AM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-components/2009-shimano-dura-ace-st-7900-sti-levers-5090.322.0.html

TimD
01-09-2009, 11:00 AM
*** kind of link is that...

You're going to route everyone through some marketing/tracking site?

Take a deep breath. Following the link is optional. It's the one that came with the spam, er, promotional email message offering me a special deal. Trust me that I wouldn't bother you or anyone else with a $700 brifter offer.

PS The NSA knows who you are :)

SoCalSteve
01-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I believe the wholesale price on the new E-Dura Ace is gonna be around $2,000.00 for the group...Yeah, WHOLESALE!

And, this is 1st generation stuff with very new technology...I think I will wait til 3rd or 4th gen electronic shifting comes out when all the bugs have been worked out.

Just sayin'

Steve

sg8357
01-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Who cares how much it is ?, the sponsor is going to pay for it anyway, right ?

Like BKW sez, If you want to be PRO, you gots to suffer, or in this case
sell the BMW and drive a Malibu instead.

Me, I'll wait for Campy Paris-Roubaix electro-hydraulic.

Scott G.

Pete Serotta
01-09-2009, 11:56 AM
The weak $ verses Yen is going to play hell for SHIMANO and for us. Yesterday it was 91 to a $. Last year I think yes was 20% weaker. If nothing happens, Shimano needs to raise the price almost 20% just to stay even.

This weak US dollar thing is not good for anyone long term. Printing all these "green backs" for bailouts is going to make it weaker long term....

Not pretty at all..>>>just aSk Aneida Ride

max_powers
01-09-2009, 12:23 PM
The dollar has strengthened beginning last summer (did you noticed gas prices go down, direct correlation since oil traded in dollar valuation) see chart:

http://quotes.ino.com/chart/?s=NYBOT_dx

yes a recent dip in Dec, we'll see if a new trend developes

so hopefully some bike stuff prices have been lowered, esp. given the economy.

I got some reasonable prices on a UK bike website recently. Continental 4000s tires at $28 shipped for example.

Now Shimano another story. Yes the trend Vs. the yen is still negative.

http://www.metaquotes.net/forex/usdjpy/

Pete Serotta
01-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Against the Euro we have strengthened but the YEN is still below a 100. We can have many discussions on oil price and what the $ did to influence. WE will need a few bottles of wine for I do not think a stronger dollar has much to do with oil going down in price.

Lets arrange a tasting or two :beer:

The dollar has strengthened beginning last summer (did you noticed gas prices go down, direct correlation since oil traded in dollar valuation) see chart:

http://quotes.ino.com/chart/?s=NYBOT_dx

yes a recent dip in Dec, we'll see if a new trend developes

so hopefully some bike stuff prices have been lowered, esp. given the economy.

I got some reasonable prices on a UK bike website recently. Continental 4000s tires at $28 shipped for example.

Now Shimano another story...

max_powers
01-09-2009, 12:29 PM
lol, you got me quick, I edited it after realizing your initial point, and check the yen chart

palincss
01-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Who cares how much it is ?, the sponsor is going to pay for it anyway, right ?

Like BKW sez, If you want to be PRO, you gots to suffer, or in this case
sell the BMW and drive a Malibu instead.

Do you honestly think at the PRO level that having a Dura Ace shifter makes any real difference?

false_Aest
01-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Eff Shimano and, for that matter, eff Campy too!

I hear that FSA is gonna 1-UP both Campy and Shimano by offering steam actuated shifting. I'm waiting for that ssssssssssssssssssstuff.

This will look super mega-dope on my SteamPunk inspired Serotta Heritage Suisse Crosse.

Brass, leather, steam... MMMMM!

Check out my new riding glasses and cyclocomputer!

1centaur
01-09-2009, 06:18 PM
A slight detour into currency discussion just so we get our bicycle bits bought right...

$ stronger when the world panicked and bought T-bills. Oil down on stronger dollar and weaker world economy, plus removal of levered bets on rising oil. Yen has been shorted/sold for years because the Japanese have long had low interest rates post their real estate debacle and traders could borrow in Yen, buy in another currency and make a spread. When the world stops borrowing, it pays back the loans, which means buying Yen.

When all this is unwound, relative currency will go back to where there is economic opportunity and who's printed too much money. The US is producing a lot of currency, or will, to reflate or at least maintain flation, so you'd think we'd see a pretty weak dollar in a couple of years. But other countries are playing from the same rule book. Who'll print relatively more money versus the strength of their economy? US might do better than you'd think.

Still, before we get inflation we'll lose the T-bill panic so the dollar should fall, especially if fears that Europe is lagging our crisis prove to be unfounded. Yen should also fall. So consider buying your Euro bike bits now, and maybe your Japanese bits later.