PDA

View Full Version : Pearl I. Amfib shoe covers?

TimD
11-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Soooo, a couple of weeks ago I notice Nashbar is having a sale on Pearly Amfib shoe covers and order myself a pair, size XL, my shoes being size 45.5.

They arrive and sit in my bag with the rest of my cold weather stuff, since the temperature has been in the high 40s and 50s recently.

Today, however, it is 42 F with a nice little breeze blowing, so I figure I'll swap my shredded toe covers for the new shoe covers. Quickly it becomes apparent that my idea of XL is not the manufacturer's idea of XL, or my expectation that the covers will be easy to put on is misplaced :confused:

Eventually with the help of my wife I get them zipped up and they prove to be comfortable and, combined with some light merino wool socks, warm enough for the 90-minute ride I'm on.

Silly questions to the members of the audience who own these things are:

1. Is this 'just they way they are' and/or will they stretch and loosen up eventually?

2. Does the zipper go on the inside or the outside?

It seems like they would be impossible to put on were I to try to put them on with the zipper on the outside, or at least it would be impossible for me to put them on with the zipper on the outside - on the inside, I can cross my legs and wrestle the damn things into submission. However, (on the Marcelo) the nasty metal zipper end passes dangerously close to the chainstay as I'm riding. Repeated contact would probably chew through the electrical tape I've mounted on the stay and ding the paint, so if the covers are to be worn with the zipper on the outside I'd like to know

Thanks for any advice -

TimD

PS It was a ride, a *necessary* ride, after endless pie and other junk last night, toppped off with a bunch of beer, wine, and bourbon... to quote BD, "burp"

gasman
11-26-2004, 10:39 PM
I use mine with the zipper on the inside, as you can't zip them up on the outside, at least I'm not flexible enough to do so. I also have large gunboat sized feet and use the extra large. I have yet to hit the chinstay but my winter/rain bike is Ti so it wouldn't matter anyway.
They do keep the feet warm.

coylifut
11-26-2004, 11:23 PM
I use mine with the zipper on the inside, as you can't zip them up on the outside, at least I'm not flexible enough to do so. I also have large gunboat sized feet and use the extra large. I have yet to hit the chinstay but my winter/rain bike is Ti so it wouldn't matter anyway.
They do keep the feet warm.

I use em the way gasman does. However, they largely sit un used because I have a set of Side Track covers that I much prefer. The side tracs are completely open in the back and close with Velcro. I can put em on and take em off while riding. I don't mind riding in foul weather, but I don't like how long it takes to dress for it.

gasman
11-27-2004, 10:30 AM
I use em the way gasman does. However, they largely sit un used because I have a set of Side Track covers that I much prefer. The side tracs are completely open in the back and close with Velcro. I can put em on and take em off while riding. I don't mind riding in foul weather, but I don't like how long it takes to dress for it.

Lol- I have a set of Side Trak shoe covers that now sit unused because the velcro no longer seems to hold well, maybe my feet are just too big.
I also don't like the time it takes to get ready to ride in foul weather.

Peter
11-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Gasman-regarding your Sidetrak shoe covers whose velcro no longer holds:

I have Sidetraks and experienced exactly the same problem.The Sidetrak fuzzy material is a poor substitute for actual velcro.

Get a new strip of the fuzzy half of velcro at the fabric store and sew it on. I think I used a 2" wide strip.

TimD
11-28-2004, 09:51 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the help, I guess I'll just have to add another layer of electrical tape to the Peg's chainstays! That or ride the Legend. Decisions, decisions... :)

TimD

coylifut
11-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Gasman-regarding your Sidetrak shoe covers whose velcro no longer holds:

I have Sidetraks and experienced exactly the same problem.The Sidetrak fuzzy material is a poor substitute for actual velcro.

Get a new strip of the fuzzy half of velcro at the fabric store and sew it on. I think I used a 2" wide strip.

that's good info. when i got mine, I bought a size bigger than normal and the extra wrap i think keeps the pressure off the velcro. I woke this morning to a "hard freeze" and will be heading out for the first ride in a week and a 1/2.