PDA

View Full Version : Best econo-carbon?

dvancleve
01-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Howdy folks.

I have pretty much always been into steel frames, but am curious about carbon fiber. What is the best bang for the buck in a used frame that is suitable for a heavy rider? I'm thinking this can either be high end and older or relatively new and lower end. Thinking specifically of Look frames, how far back could I go and not end up with a noodle?

Thanks, Doug

Ahneida Ride
01-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Used Serotta .... if you can locate one in your size ..

KJMUNC
01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
I was looking at Ridleys, as being a taller rider their geometry suits me and I've heard good things about the carbon bikes.

Specialized Roubaix is probably also something else to look into, but not sure how cheap you can find them.

A lot of carbon bikes have pretty wildly varying geo's, so you should check to see who's bikes will fit you the best then start your search.

Personally I was really hoping to find a Ridley Damocles but wound up jumping on a C50 instead as it was a good deal.

paczki
01-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Giant. They make them all anyway.

R2D2
01-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Hard to beat Fuji for bang for buck,
Especially if used.

derosa_guy
01-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I have to agree here. Giants bikes are a lot of bang for the buck. Try to buy NOS or very lightly used.

Giant. They make them all anyway.

weatherman
01-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Howdy folks.

I have pretty much always been into steel frames, but am curious about carbon fiber. What is the best bang for the buck in a used frame that is suitable for a heavy rider? I'm thinking this can either be high end and older or relatively new and lower end. Thinking specifically of Look frames, how far back could I go and not end up with a noodle?

Thanks, Doug

Might just know of something available. :)

victoryfactory
01-08-2009, 02:20 PM
The Look 555 can be had for around 1K new.
That's for frame, fork and headset.
A sweet ride.

VF

Waldo
01-08-2009, 02:29 PM
PedalForce. Supposedly from the factory that builds Scott frames.
http://pedalforce.com/online/index.php?cPath=101740&osCsid=33cb62318d284241989ca0c67b499b8e

victoryfactory
01-08-2009, 02:38 PM
http://pedalforce.com/online/index.php?cPath=101740&osCsid=33cb62318d284241989ca0c67b499b8e

Man, If I was a US based maker, that would give me a
Giant (pun intended) headache.

How can anyone manufacturing here compete with that?
Certainly not if you want to sell to the non well heeled, average riders.

Time to close this thread before people start getting ideas....

VF

damcyclist
01-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Does anyone have any experience with a Calfee Luna Pro? I believe its their lower end frame. A local shop has a new old stock/ full Ultegra for 2K. Does that seem like a fair price? I'm a heavier rider & have only ridden steel. I was wondering what a light bike would feel like under my fat A$$.

dave thompson
01-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Does anyone have any experience with a Calfee Luna Pro? I believe its their lower end frame. A local shop has a new old stock/ full Ultegra for 2K. Does that seem like a fair price? I'm a heavier rider & have only ridden steel. I was wondering what a light bike would feel like under my fat A$$.
The Calfee Luna Pro is not a 'low-end' bike though is the least expensive of the Calfee line. I've had 4 Calfees, including a Luna Pro, and at my 195# riding weight have found no fault with any of them. I've ridden my Calfees for many hours at a time and like the way they feel, ride and handle. They have been around for a very long time (20 years) and have a terrific reputation.

At a current MSRP of $1895 for just a bare Luna fame, 2K for a fully built new one sounds like a wonderful bargain.

Viper
01-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Big Wheels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjTAA_da97w

:beer:

saab2000
01-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Thinking specifically of Look frames, how far back could I go and not end up with a noodle?

Thanks, Doug

Looks are not noodles. What size do you ride?

Kirk007
01-08-2009, 03:15 PM
I sold my perfectly fine tetra pro w/ ouzo pro fork for $800. Buyer got a steel. It's a buyers market and these frames are undervalued.

torquer
01-08-2009, 03:26 PM
According to a former regular contributor to this forum, you can get a new CF Merckx for a bit over $1200 (f/f/hs & sp!) Not Eddy's top of the line, but 1100 grams sounds pretty good.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4654

dvancleve
01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
I look for about 55cm square, not longer than 56cm effective TT or 57cm C-T for the seat tube. When I say "old" Look, I'm thinking pretty old (back to the 90s anyway). Weren't all of the CF frames commonly in use then pretty flexy? I also didn't really define "econo". I mean under $500 for sure and the lower the better. I figure try it out, then if I like it look for something better...

Thanks, Doug

Looks are not noodles. What size do you ride?

saab2000
01-08-2009, 03:34 PM
I look for about 55cm square, not longer than 56cm effective TT or 57cm C-T for the seat tube. When I say "old" Look, I'm thinking pretty old (back to the 90s anyway). Weren't all of the CF frames commonly in use then pretty flexy? I also didn't really define "econo". I mean under $500 for sure and the lower the better. I figure try it out, then if I like it look for something better...

Thanks, Doug

Maybe some early carbon had some different characteristics, but I don't think they were that flexible. After all, they were the bikes of choice for many pros, with some even being repainted too look like something else.

Anyway, I have a Look 381i that is from the early 2000s (2002 or 2003 or so) and it is not mega stiff, but not flexible either and is by no means slow. It is not my stiffest bike, but it is my raciest bike.

I don't know about the 'lower' level Looks today like the 555 (I use the word 'lower' with caution because all Looks are good I think) but Look is very much a maker of real race bikes. They have been prominent in pro racing since 1986.

The reason I asked what size is that my 381i that might, maybe, possibly end up for sale. But maybe not too. It's labeled a 56 and is 56cm c-c.

If you're interested, PM me.

caleb
01-08-2009, 04:07 PM

I rode an RS2 last summer. Very, very nice frame. Better bike than many that cost several times as much.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=49268&stc=1

Marcusaurelius
01-08-2009, 04:33 PM
I would look for a used Trek 5500 or a Calfee. Calfee would be better for any unexpected repairs but the the Trek would be less expensive.

I wouldn't go near a Giant because of the compact geometry and the integratred headset. I think the compact geometry is a bit foolish.

TMB
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Howdy folks.

Thanks, Doug

Lord help me,

Not you too?! :mad: :argue:

pdmtong
01-08-2009, 04:43 PM
I too used to own a luna pro w/alpha Q fork. loved it but sold becasue a tad too small. cabernet red fade paint. only complaint was the paint chipped too easily.

yes, there are bargains now. here'e s a 58cm tetra f/f/hs for $800
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/bik/985254857.html

Lifelover
01-08-2009, 05:04 PM
In the used market, an Aegis (http://www.aegisbicycles.com/home.html) is pretty damn hard to beat.

The Aro Svelt can be had for around $400 and Victory(s) can be had for only a little more.

Be careful with sizing. I don't know what year the switch was made, but the sizing chart shifted on them about 5 or 6 years ago.

Some folks have said that the older forks they used were crap but for the last 6+ years they have been using mostly reynolds stuff.

I (all 260 lbs) ride a early 90's Aro Svelte and like it very much. I have 3 friends on Victory(s). One is in the 230 range and the other 2 are right around 190 lbs.

ATMO the best thing is that they have bolt on drop outs. If you get one cheap you can get new horizontal drops from the factory and convert it to a SS/Fixie with ease.

I currently ride mine as a SS.

Charles M
01-08-2009, 06:24 PM
for me it's these guys...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/07ibike/073velo300se.jpg

It's made in the same spot using extremely similar tech and materials as a couple of bikes costing twice the price...

mike p
01-08-2009, 07:39 PM
+1
Mike

Hard to beat Fuji for bang for buck,
Especially if used.

paulandmonster
01-08-2009, 08:09 PM
seriously get a used frame

paczki
01-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Too bad you're not a 60, look at all the stuff Michael Maddox has for sale!

http://www.oldfartcycling.org/

zap
01-08-2009, 08:44 PM

Thanks, Doug

The Look KG196 from '93-94 is pretty damn stiff. I have one (since new) and it's stiffer than my Klein Q Pro carbon. I spoke to a pro that rode one in the TdF and we both agreed that it was too stiff for all but the smoothest roads, no matter how fast you rode the thing.

Saw one for sale last year and think it went for US$500. It's still a fast frameset but quite heavy.

dvancleve
01-08-2009, 09:31 PM
The KG196 is the Monoblade, right? They are cool but seem to have held their value pretty well seeing as how they're old. I have studied up a bit on Aegis and it seems like an interesting company. I like that they have always been pro-CF and not just for lightness. Outside of serendipity (say a crazy cheap Calfee or something like that) it seems like Trek is most likely to be a bargain. There have to be more of them than about anything else. Is there a year or model that is one to look for (ie. older than 20xx they didn't... so you don't want one of those)? OTOH, Treks are everywhere so that kinda goes against them. On the Looks, what models would be the ones to watch for?

Thanks, Doug

zap
01-09-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm not that familiar with Look models from the time the KG196/186 'blade came out until the 555/585/595.

If the geo works, I would keep an eye out for the first year, '05?, Look 555 as it had the top of the line 5 fork and nice colour scheme. Year 2 on had the hsc4 fork and at some point production of the 555 frame moved to asia.

damcyclist
01-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I am hesitant to buy a used CARBON frame - have bought lots of used steel though. But unless I know the bike's history, or unless it were from someone I know or trust (I would trust Paul's C40) then I just don't want a used carbon off of CL or the bay where I have no idea how the bike was treated - especially if it is one of the earlier carbon models. Same goes for some of the no-name companies new stuff. No idea what type of QC these go through - even though they are made in the same (or similar) facility as some of the major brands.

It's probably 'cause I'm a wuss & can't take a fall like I used to.

jmeloy
01-09-2009, 09:18 AM
My Bianchi 928 has become my "bad weather" ride since I went to steel. Very nice ride and can be found at very good prices.

damcyclist
01-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Did you buy the bianchi used, site un-seen, from a stranger? or... have you owned it a while & know how it has been treated? I guess that I am hesitant to buy a used carbon more so than I am buying used steel. But hey - I'm no carbon expert - ALL carbon bikes have improved exponentially - just - atmo.

rnhood
01-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Given the good quality and reasonable price of carbon bikes like Pedal Force and Fuji, it doesn't seem to make much sense to buy used carbon bikes - imho - unless you're getting one cheap and know its condition is sound.

dvancleve
01-25-2009, 12:05 PM
So obviously it would be cool to find a bargain on a used Calfee, doesn't seem likely that a Crumpton or Parlee would ever be as cheap. Outside of the plethora of Taiwanese (not that there's anything wrong with that ;^) frames, is Look really all there is that might be inexpensive? Looking at Looks, it seems to me like the KG281 would probably be the cutoff point for still pretty modern (excluding the x96 Monoblades with the Ergostem). Is that correct?

Thanks, Doug

P.S. Aegis seems likely to be a good deal as well, but there aren't a lot around by the look of things...

happycampyer
01-25-2009, 02:24 PM
$2,500 (http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Serotta-Meivici-GS-Carbon-Frameset-Frame-56cm_W0QQitemZ400025362145QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_ Bikes?hash=item400025362145&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318) is a good price for this frame and fork with 100 miles on it.

LO^OK
01-25-2009, 02:53 PM
On a business trip tumbled across this KG171 on a shop window display. Although at the time buying a frame was the last thing in my mind at 150 Euros simply could not resist. ONCE team rode it for two seasons in their hey day so it must be more than adequate for my modest demands.

Don't know the exact reasons (over supply at the time combined with steep prices, conservatism of bike community, etc.) but there are always NOS carbon LOOKs, TVTs, Vitus and the likes from the 1990s. With a little patience I am sure you will find a shiny new one. I for one love the classic and understated presence.

toaster
01-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Torelli carbon frames, either Stelvio or Montefalco.

That Montefalco is a real looker!

oldguy00
01-25-2009, 08:08 PM
You can find new 2008 Ridley Excalibur frames on ebay for about 1k.

TimD
01-25-2009, 08:20 PM
If you buy a Trek make sure you understand how it is sized (C-T, not C-C). A 62 is really a 59.5.

I rode a (Performance) Scattante carbon once and it was quite nice.

This fall I brokered a Specialized S-Works Tarmac deal for $600... but there probably aren't many like that around.

Happy shopping -
Tim

pdmtong
01-25-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd be hesitant to buy a used CF frame off ebay, unless from a shop or known seller. I wouldn't be hesitant to buy a CF frame off the forum, pending discussion. I have bought used CF frames off CL...calfee, ottrott, Z3. When you roll up to a guys garage and see multiple $10k bikes hanging, you pretty much know the rides were taken care of. Plus, it's pretty obvious if a CF bike has been laid down. YMMV, but IMHO...it's all about due diligence. Im my case, it's also a neccessity, since I'm the poser with high bling bikes that didnt pay much for them (relatively)

scottsmith12
01-25-2009, 10:46 PM
I picked up a 2008 Specialized Roubaix frame, fork, headset and seat post off of Fleabay last month for $600 for the same reason. I'm not sure if I'll like it so I didn't want to spend a bundle. The jury is still out as I need a dry day around here to use it. I figure I won't know for sure until mile 80 into the first century.

Good luck.

tuscanyswe
01-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Im not a big fan of carbon bikes or maybe i just rode the wrong ones but every1 around here raves about canyon.

Tests better than cervelo in Tour for alot less.
any1 tried one?

http://www.canyon.com/rennraeder/series/ultimate-cf-team.html

Their outles usually have some great deals. Alltho ive heard alot of complaints about delivery times and customer service.

They use to have really ugly fork but this year its abit better, alltho the graphics are not for me.

paulandmonster
01-26-2009, 01:20 AM
at 900 bucks id say thats best econo

dvancleve
07-30-2009, 12:47 PM
I ended up getting a very lightly used KG 186 (lower end CF blend I gather, but looks just like the 196). I think it was a good price, $200, but is missing the stem. Those Ergostems, at least the ones that are period correct for this bike, have appearently gotten a bit rare. Any Ergostem will work, according to Look, but I don't want to spend more than $100 on it and one of the older silver ones would look best...

http://i30.tinypic.com/2gwaqgm.jpg

Doug

The Look KG196 from '93-94 is pretty damn stiff. I have one (since new) and it's stiffer than my Klein Q Pro carbon. I spoke to a pro that rode one in the TdF and we both agreed that it was too stiff for all but the smoothest roads, no matter how fast you rode the thing.

Saw one for sale last year and think it went for US$500. It's still a fast frameset but quite heavy.