PDA

View Full Version : PMP Components

Chris
11-26-2004, 05:12 PM
The jerk's comments about PMP cranks on another post got me thinking. What's the lowdown? With the new Dura Ace cranks being oh so less than desirable and my new found interest in building a bike that requires minimal upgrades from one change in the big two's grouppos to the next, I want to look around at components that aren't necessarily a part of a grouppo. Things like cranks (no carbon please), bottom brackets, brakes, etc., that others have found to be staples in their diet; let's hear about them. PMP, Tiso(?), TA(while it lasts), etc. What would you build your bike up with if you only used brifters and derailleurs (if absolutely necessary). Also, where do you find these gems?

jerk
11-26-2004, 05:57 PM
pmp is not really being imported by anyone right now. the euro is just too strong and the american market is not intelligent enough, stupid enough or romantic enough to spend $700 on an aluminum crank/bb assembly even if the q factor is smaller, the baerings spin freeer and the stuff is more beautiful to look at. pmp cranks use specialities ta chainrings which are fine and are avilable in 110mm spacing in all the usual and unusual sizes....the jerk may be partenering with some pals at his lbs to run a webstore which would import and carry the best of what is available in europe right now. naturally this would include pmp parts and dugast tires! as many of you know, senor jerk has been souricng tires for friends here for some time. why not spread the wealth, plus think about a website which would have all the great weird-o stuff plus daily rants and product write ups from the jerk. (actually, that sounds horrible. :)
tiso is being imported on the west coase by a gentlement named andrew webber through his firm cycling innovations. despite his name he is italian by birth. tiso makes derailleurs which are light and work wonderfully in a campagnolo set-up and adequatly in a shimano one. there cassettes are typical alloy jobs...quick wearing but very light. they are coated with some type of ceramic which makes them last longer than anyone else's alloy cassettes but dn't expect more than 3,000 miles out of them. the best thing tiso makes are their perfect chainrings. they shift better than anything, last longer and look great. for some time tiso made rings for campagnolo although the jerk is not sure if this is still the case. tiso also makes a very trick and very light magnesium hset.
jerk

keno
11-26-2004, 06:06 PM
matt@redlanterncycles.com handles some PMP. I would give him a try to see if he can help you out with that manufacturer. He's a good guy to deal with.

keno

BdaGhisallo
11-26-2004, 06:22 PM
These guys handle PMP in the UK. They are very keen and I am sure they would ship to the US. They also handle Pegoretti, so they are into class equipment!

http://www.tiramisu.co.uk/

Roy E. Munson
11-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Try calling Craig at International Bikes, (617) 783-5804, in Boston. I would guess he's the cat who sets the jerk up and I've seen some PMP gear in the shop.

dbrk
11-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Not yet mentioned is Stronglight who, of course, have been around seen the earth's crust cooled and the Wrights made...well, that's not true but Stronglight still makes brakes, cassettes, rings, cranks, bb, lots of stuff. The giroposte.com fellas deal in it and I like plenty of it. I have the now-discontinued Speedlight cranks which are quite nice and there is a reasonable, cheap-o110bcd crank they make that I think QBP stocks. The brakes are quite a nice option but all of this stuff is too expensive for what it is but nothing like $600 for a crankset (and likely not as nice, 'tis true).

PMP looks way cool, I gotta say.

dbrk

eddief
11-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Very nice posts and stems and sometimes a mere pittance at aebike.

PhatMatt
11-26-2004, 08:01 PM
ATA Cycle in Cambridge, Mass also carries PMP stuff. I bought a wheelset of PMP hubs laced to CXP-33's that are strong, pretty light and roll on and on. No nonsense wheels for everyday use. The PMP headsets look trick but are deadly expensive. The guys at ATA seem to give the straight-dope on boutique parts vs. their big 2 counterparts.

Speaking of the Dugasts...cyclocrossworld.com claims to have a pipeline that trickles a supply of 'cross tires into this country. Perhaps they can also access road tires as well. Worth a try if you are desperate.

Ride on. Crossin' tomorrow here in Mass.

Chris
11-26-2004, 09:13 PM
So Matt,
You live in Somerville, you ride, and you even ride cross. You must know my good friend Adam Hodges Myerson. If you see him tomorrow, tell him Chris DuRoy said to say hi. Ask him how the tofu turkey was on Thursday :)
Chris

jeffg
11-27-2004, 06:45 PM
I have a PMP Microroad crank/bb on my Legend and love it. With TA syrius rings it shifts almost as well as Campy or DA. Such a crank, IMHO is far better than any carbon crank (it's lighter than the new Campy compact), has a better Q, etc.

I bought mine from Tiramisu, but I thought they stopped doing mail order through their site. Anyway, maybe I'll get the new Microroad through the jerk or in Germany ...

jeffg
11-27-2004, 06:51 PM
I have a PMP Microroad crank/bb on my Legend and love it. With TA syrius rings it shifts almost as well as Campy or DA. Such a crank, IMHO is far better than any carbon crank (it's lighter than the new Campy compact), has a better Q, etc.

I bought mine from Tiramisu, but I thought they stopped doing mail order through their site. Anyway, maybe I'll get the new Microroad through the jerk or in Germany ...

Kevin
11-28-2004, 05:34 AM
Jeff,

I think that you have developed a stutter.

:beer:

Kevin