PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

Matthew
01-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I am looking at two frames to join my current stable. My local shop has a Seven Axiom race on sale for $2800 including carbon fork and King headset. The frame is 3 years old but never built up. Apparently someone ordered it but changed their mind and it has just sat there. It should fit me but I will look into that further if I get serious enough. The other is a Moots compact for $2700 without fork or headset. It would be a 2009 as I would have to order it. I currently have a Serotta Concours and a Trek Madone and like them both and will keep them. I am just looking for your opinions/thoughts. I have always wanted a Moots but the Seven seems like an incredible deal as this same frame/fork today would cost $4200 plus headset. Thanks, Matthew.

Mikej
01-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Just in case it's a 57.5tt! For real though, what size?

Matthew
01-08-2009, 11:06 AM
It's got a 56.5 top tube with 8 degrees of slope. It comes painted with the "race" scheme in blue and white. Seven carbon fork painted to match.

jbrainin
01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I think that both bikes more or less duplicate your Concours. I'd wait until I found something more compelling to buy.

William
01-08-2009, 11:08 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/2611841821_ebfd2c02c7.jpg

Ray
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Fit, Fit, Fit.

And if you're sure both of them will fit right, then go with what moves you for whatever intangible reason. Which sounds like the Moots based on "I have always wanted a Moots". Are either of 'em gonna be different enough from what you have to serve a different role. Or is it just bling? Not making a judgment either way, but if its supposed to play a different role, it should ride/handle a bit differently, have more or less clearance, etc. If its just bling, its all about how it makes you feel, and our opinions on THAT aren't worth squat.

-Ray

mschol17
01-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Velo City is a sweet shop so buy from them.

CNY rider
01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Is there something your current rides aren't doing, that you think the new one will?

Or are you just wanting a new ride, you know, just because?

No value judgement implied either way. :beer:

kgreene10
01-08-2009, 11:54 AM
You mentioned that the Axiom isn't built up -- have you had a chance to test ride one? Riding that particular frame is what made me decide never to buy a bike I can't test ride first. It looked great on paper (and in person), but the ride just wasn't for me.

giordana93
01-08-2009, 12:03 PM
why?
in other words, what are you going to get out of this extra bike, besides "adding to the stable"? that is what everyone is politely trying to ask. they are both nice bikes, provided they fit and we can't know that. To me, it makes no sense to get another "race" bike. Get a nice bike with fenders you can ride in any weather or something. Or, better, contact a well-established custom builder. For the same cash you're talking, you could have a frame tailored to you, in your choice of color, and if it comes from someone who knows what he's doing, you will learn alot about bikes and how you are supposed to fit on one, and I would be willing to bet you would get rid of the Trek or Serotta long before you gave up your custom.
hey, you asked for "opinions"
:beer:

Ken Robb
01-08-2009, 06:03 PM
why?
in other words, what are you going to get out of this extra bike, besides "adding to the stable"? that is what everyone is politely trying to ask. they are both nice bikes, provided they fit and we can't know that. To me, it makes no sense to get another "race" bike. Get a nice bike with fenders you can ride in any weather or something. Or, better, contact a well-established custom builder. For the same cash you're talking, you could have a frame tailored to you, in your choice of color, and if it comes from someone who knows what he's doing, you will learn alot about bikes and how you are supposed to fit on one, and I would be willing to bet you would get rid of the Trek or Serotta long before you gave up your custom.
hey, you asked for "opinions"
:beer:

I agree with these thoughts. It's tough to improve the ride of a Concours or Legend in a ti bike. Maybe a Strada Bianca form Hampsten would be fun for you. Everyone who's ridden mine loves it and it's very versatile.

Charles M
01-08-2009, 06:26 PM
It's not just FIT...

Fit needs to work but the one thing a lot of folks forget is that custom bikes are also custom tube sets, not just geometry.

I would ask them to confirm the rider weight and request too...

Seven (and Serotta Lynskey et ...) could all build two bikes the exact same size and have them perform dramatically different...

soulspinner
01-09-2009, 06:45 AM
I am looking at two frames to join my current stable. My local shop has a Seven Axiom race on sale for $2800 including carbon fork and King headset. The frame is 3 years old but never built up. Apparently someone ordered it but changed their mind and it has just sat there. It should fit me but I will look into that further if I get serious enough. The other is a Moots compact for $2700 without fork or headset. It would be a 2009 as I would have to order it. I currently have a Serotta Concours and a Trek Madone and like them both and will keep them. I am just looking for your opinions/thoughts. I have always wanted a Moots but the Seven seems like an incredible deal as this same frame/fork today would cost $4200 plus headset. Thanks, Matthew.

Find out how the frame was made by Seven first. They have a 1-10 stifness (and others) rating system. If you like that info and it fits that is a great deal as the paint is $ also...

Keith A
01-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm with PezTech and Soulspinner, especially given the fact that Seven is all about custom. If you do pursue the Seven, then I would try and find out how this bike was designed to perform. I would also want some type of guarantee from the bike shop if after building the bike if you didn't like the ride that it could be returned.

As for the Moots, I had the pleasure of riding JB's compact SL that he had a couple of years ago and it was a great bike!

Pete Serotta
01-09-2009, 08:54 AM
They are all going to be close..... I agree with Ken, if you want something different the Strada is VERY nice (or get a SEROTTA Cross geo if it works for you. My lust list in order is SEROTTA (bet that comes as a real shock), HAMPSTEN, and then Moots....

BUT IT IS ALL PERSONAL for you already have VERY NICE rides.....

Let us know what you decide and the "logic" that got you there..so we can add it to our "reasons" for another bike!!! ;) PETE

I agree with these thoughts. It's tough to improve the ride of a Concours or Legend in a ti bike. Maybe a Strada Bianca form Hampsten would be fun for you. Everyone who's ridden mine loves it and it's very versatile.