PDA

View Full Version : Help with generator light

stackie
01-07-2009, 09:59 PM
So, I am using a Edelux light on a Shimano Alfine generator hub. The light recently quit working. I have went ahead and trimmed off a couple of inches of the cord and reinstalled the connector and attached it. This, of course, didn't have any effect. I've only had the light a few months, so I am hoping it is not the bulb. It's an LED, so I really cannot tell if it is burned out.

I've read that one can burn out a generator driven light with high speeds. I do do some high speed descending with the light (no more than 30 mph). Also, I am pretty sure that the last time it worked, I was doing a relatively flat commute.

Does anyone know of a way to isolate where the problem is occurring? I am hoping not to have to send it back to Peter White.

Thanks,

Jon

sychan
01-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Checking to see if the light is dead:

Try connecting at least 3v of battery power to the light to see if it comes on. Power LED's like the ones used in the Edelux usually start to light up around 2.5v - 3v.

If you have some lithium batteries for a cell phone or camera, they usually operate at 3.7V and you could see if you can get the light to come on touching the wires to the contacts - might work, haven't tried it myself. The light should have a built in rectifier, so it doesn't matter whether the wires are in contact with the positive or negative terminal on the battery.

Checking to see if the dynamo is dead:

You could connect the dynamo to the light bulb from an old incandescent flashlight (like a Maglite) and spin the wheel a little to see if the light comes on.