PDA

View Full Version : Keeping colored bar tape clean

Sandy
11-26-2004, 03:26 PM
I use Cinelli cork bar tape on my bike. I have always used black tape, which I like very much. For a change, I decided to try some Cinelli cork red tape, but was a little leery since I was afraid that it would get too dirty. But I have not had any problem thus far as I just use a little citrus biosolvent on a clean rag and wipe the tape gently, and presto the dirt disappears. Just thought that I might mention it to those of you who use colored bar tape.

Red socks or black socks, but no white socks,

Black Sock Sandy

Bill Bove
11-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Some day I'm going to Scotch-Guard my cork tape before I wrap my bars, I wonder if it'll help me keep the white white. I usually use Dawn and hot water to clean my bars.

White or pink socks on the bike, black socks for weddings and funerals, no socks at the beach.

Russ
11-26-2004, 06:18 PM
....Red socks or black socks, but no white socks....

Thanks for the tip Sandy.

It is no big deal to keep even white socks clean! I remember that the Banesto team used white bar tape on their bikes. At the end of every stage during the Tour, the team mechanics would wash the dirt off the bars with soapy warm water and the tape looked brand new everyday... Perhaps, one of the reasons Indurain kicked arse in his days, was because his bikes where so clean all the time :) :)

The Russ does not use cork tape anymore, but the Stella Azzura tecno spugna, which is a synthetic tape. IMO, this bar tape cleans a lot better than cork and it lasts a bit longer.

Sandy
11-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Russ is going so fast that the handlebar tape doesn't have time to get dirty! :)

Mr. Clean (on top)

Sam in VA
11-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Profile synthetic tape cleans much better than real cork... and feels/grips about the same. I just use a damp washcloth and most everything comes out - even with white tape. Its also much easier to wrap than Cinelli.

Kevan
11-26-2004, 09:37 PM
snot, grease ,and sweat go out of vogue? :cool: