PDA

View Full Version : Rear dropouts

RichMc
11-26-2004, 01:21 PM
This is sort of an addendum to rider specific post. Could anyone direct me to some good closeup pictures of the Serotta rear triange and specifically the dropouts? Alternatively, would anyone be so kind as to post some pictures of the dropouts/rear section in the photo gallery section? That'd be great if not too much trouble. Thanks again.

dave thompson
11-26-2004, 02:21 PM
I just happened to be doing some rear wheel maintenance, so was able to take a pic. Is this what you wanted to see?

RichMc
11-26-2004, 04:44 PM
That's super Dave! Thanks!

dave thompson
11-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Hey, I used to live in Kailua. About a hundred years ago it seems. Actually in the mid '60s.

RichMc
11-27-2004, 12:07 PM
By any chance were you still here in the early 70's and were you into skydiving? In any case you would barely recognize Kailua today. Went from the sleepy little beach town where you could get around on a bike just fine to traffic jams, signal lights on almost every corner of the business district & it's almost impossible to make a left turn anywhere. I still love it though.

dave thompson
11-27-2004, 01:40 PM
I lived in Kailua only for a year or two in the mid-60's. Kailua was busy even then. I used to go to Kaneohe MCAS for the motorcyle races up 'till the time I left Hawaii in '72, I was in the motorcycle business there. Matter of fact Domenico's, in Kaneohe, is owned my an old pal of mine, Dominec Grupido. (last name almost bicycle content!)

RichMc
11-28-2004, 12:00 AM
You were in the motorcycle business? Of course I am familiar with Domenic. How about John Burmeister, Yamaha of Hawaii on Dillingham & Waikamilo? Does a Dunstall Norton sound familiar? Are you that Dave Thompson?

dave thompson
11-28-2004, 12:16 AM
Wow! Am I that famous? Who could, uh, forget John Burmeister, and then there's Paddy Connelly (nice guy). I had the Dunstall when I was running the Kawasaki shop in Waipahu, I was a Dunstall dealer then. I shipped it and the Vincent Black Shadow I bought from John Fields back with me when I moved to San Diego in '72.

My old partner, Red Proctor, still has Thor Motors in Wahiawa.

Do I know you?

Damn, those were the good old days!

RichMc
11-28-2004, 01:08 AM
Small world. Maybe you remember me and maybe you don't. At that time I was just in college and used to come by the shop & drool, especially over the 350 twins. I was riding a Raleigh Supercourse at the time. Also hung out with Bob Felix & Jim Cushing. Didn't do any work for Yamaha until they moved out to Nimitz Hwy. I assembled bikes mostly for Honda under Bob Sharp & Frances Guerrero. Did lotman work there too. Also did some assembly work for Frank Corbet. Don't know if you were still there when I had the British Racing Green Norton Commando Fastback. Then I was a tall haole kid with semi long blond hair & wore aviator glasses. It was the wild west then & I miss it as much as any of us do. Good to meet you again.

JohnS
11-28-2004, 07:48 AM
Nortons have to be BLACK with gold pinstriping and lettering! :)

dave thompson
11-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Small world. Maybe you remember me and maybe you don't. At that time I was just in college and used to come by the shop & drool, especially over the 350 twins. I was riding a Raleigh Supercourse at the time. Also hung out with Bob Felix & Jim Cushing. Didn't do any work for Yamaha until they moved out to Nimitz Hwy. I assembled bikes mostly for Honda under Bob Sharp & Frances Guerrero. Did lotman work there too. Also did some assembly work for Frank Corbet. Don't know if you were still there when I had the British Racing Green Norton Commando Fastback. Then I was a tall haole kid with semi long blond hair & wore aviator glasses. It was the wild west then & I miss it as much as any of us do. Good to meet you again.
Man, all those names, from half a lifetime ago. I googled motorcycle dealers in Hawaii, and the only ones I recognize are Domenico's, Thor, Cycle City and TLC. Of course it's only been, what 30 some odd years since I left paradise.

When I worked for Yamaha of Hawaii, we opened a couple of small shops in Waikiki. One was right across the street from Waikiki Beach. Sold mostly the scooters to co-eds during the summer, but what a summer! The other was a block from Ft DeRusey at the edge of Waikiki. I think that it later became TLC when we moved out.

Yeah, it sure was the wild west, and I have many fond memories of then.