View Full Version : Mavic r-sys

tuscanyswe
01-07-2009, 03:59 PM
http://www.mavic.com/road/news/news.762.aspx

frontwheel recall.

Free aksiums.

Blue Jays
01-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Sweet deal if one has a pair of undamaged Mavic R-Sys wheels!
No harm and a spare set for just a modest investment of time.
Good to see Mavic right out in front of potential failure issues. That is the mark of a decent & honorable company.

:beer:

jasond
01-07-2009, 07:58 PM
http://www.mavic.com/road/news/news.762.aspx

frontwheel recall.

Free aksiums.

Thank you for posting this. My pair of R-sys wheels are fine but I will be calling Belmont Wheel Works tomorrow to inquire about this.

Bruce K
01-07-2009, 08:30 PM
I have 2 freinds with R-Sys.

1 broke 2 spokes and paid to have them replaced.

The other bought Mavic's "Insurance Plan" (whatever it's called) and has already had a wheel replaced.

I'm still a HED guy with the exception of my one set of Reynolds DV46C's.

BK

Charles M
01-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm not one to cry much, but they're possibly the worst wheels for the money I've seen in years...

The fragility and aerodynamics would have had them down the list a ways anyhow, but add the cost to it and poof...

Kudos to Mavic for recalling them (I bet they make the recall work out fine).

Blue Jays
01-07-2009, 09:03 PM
My feeling was always that the oversized spokes could/would create significant aerodynamic drag.
At least they know to go back to the proverbial drawing board.

Chris
01-07-2009, 09:43 PM
I hope the idiots who thought these wheels were a good idea are long gone by now. I am amazed that they ever sold.

mflaherty37
01-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I hope the idiots who thought these wheels were a good idea are long gone by now. I am amazed that they ever sold.

there are some things we all think but are not supposed to say. but +1

sg8357
01-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Aksiums ?, that is cheesy.

How about some SSCs from the secret warehouse or MA2s for the ebay fiends.

Charles M
01-08-2009, 03:44 PM
One word for anyone considering Rsys...

Topolino.

All the ride smoothness and stiffness and it comes with exceptional durability...

There are lots of other wheels better than the Rsys, but if it's the blink spokes and funk you want, Topolino would have been my choice.

CF4L
01-08-2009, 03:56 PM
They may be fixing the problem, but are doing it in a little odd way... this is from Bikeforums:

----------------
Let me reword that for you....

I called the number provided, which is answered somewhere in India. After much "What? Huh? What?" I discovered the following:

1. They expect the BIKE SHOP to provide the customer with the Aksium wheelset. Yeah... we have a ton of those hanging around.

2. They didn't say how exactly they were going to pay the bike shop for the Aksiums we would be giving away.

3. They did say that under NO circumstances should the customer be allowed to ride the front wheel even one more day. (We have a customer's bike in here for service, which is why I called) They suggested I put ANY other kind of front wheel on it, or not let him have the bike back until March 31 when the new R-SYS front wheel will be ready. Again, no mention of sending us a set of Aksiums to provide to our customer.

So, there ya have it. If your shop has Aksiums in stock, they are supposed to give them to you. If you bypass the shop and call Mavic (India?) directly, perhaps they send you a set of Aksiums themselves?
-----------

BumbleBeeDave
01-08-2009, 03:59 PM
"Mavic has identified that the carbon tubular spokes of the R-SYS front wheel may break during use in certain circumstances and causing the rider to lose control and possibly fall, potentially sustaining injury. "

They're climbing wheels. Which means you have to go down the OTHER side of the mountain at high speed. Well, uh, YEAH . . . You're screaming downhill at 50mph and your front wheel folds? Doesn't sound to me like there's anything potential about it! :crap:

jasond
01-08-2009, 05:18 PM
They're climbing wheels. Which means you have to go down the OTHER side of the mountain at high speed. Well, uh, YEAH . . . You're screaming downhill at 50mph and your front wheel folds? Doesn't sound to me like there's anything potential about it! :crap:

I have bombed down hills at or slightly over 50mph and never thought twice about it. The bike feels very stable at that speed actually. Not sure if I will be hauling down hills any longer with my R-sys wheels.

On another note, I also called Mavic to ask if the rear wheel was safe and got the same experience as the person above. I also asked if there would be an identifiable way to tell if the front wheel was upgraded when I get it back (incase I want to sell them some day). She never really answered my questions.

-dustin
01-09-2009, 01:36 AM
what I love about the recall, and shop employees will know this...

From October through December, Mavic was pushing a sweet EP deal on R-SYS so that employees would buy them, ride them, and see that the wheels are solid, reliable, and not pieces of ****.

Congrats, Mavic, you were defeated at your own game.

Charles M
01-09-2009, 10:23 AM
FYI,

Shops are not expected to provide free wheels during replacement. Mavic will send wheels along with a call tag.

jasond
01-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Just dropped mine off at Belmont Wheel Works. Unfortunately I now have no front wheel although the guy offered to give me a replacement until they could get the Aksium's.

You have to give the shop your front wheel they then turn around and send a request to Mavic to return it (as a note the dealers can't send the request until sometime next week I guess). Mavic issues an RMA# and then the shop sends the front wheel out. Upon Mavic receiving the wheel they are suppose to ship Aksium wheels back to the shop. At which point you can pick them up and probably have them put a nice new cassette on.

March 31, 09 is when Mavic will start shipping the new R-sys front wheels from France (if all goes as planned). The guy at the shop said best case scenario I would get my new front wheel some time in April.

Some are probably seriously irritated with this (mostly cyclists in warmer climates) but I personally applaud Mavic for doing the right thing.

J

jeffinCT
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Did anyone get their replacement R-Sys wheel yet? I have been waiting several months for mine.

corky
04-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Nope.... haven't even been contacted by the shop to say the Aksiums are available???.... I think I better pop in & find out what's going on.

legacysti888
04-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Got my set of BNIB Aksiums quite a few weeks ago. Heavy wheels, man.

They're just gonna sit in the corner gathering dust...

Waiting word on my replacement as well.

jeffinCT
04-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I sold the free set of wheels and only got $140 for the wheelset. It will be interesting to see what the new wheel looks like. When we get it....

corky
04-09-2009, 06:28 PM
only difference to see (I Believe) is that the spokes will have some silver bands near the rim.

legacysti888
04-09-2009, 08:30 PM
'Thought I'd share if you hadn't seen this:

http://www.velonews.com/article/88465

Jus' some info for ya. :)

jeffinCT
04-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks!! I am glad they did not add weight to the wheel and it still looks the same.

toaster
04-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Here's more:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcmphotography/sets/72157603977693668/

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008/03/mavic-r-sys-failure.html

legacysti888
04-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Just picked up my new front R-SYS!!!!

Yaaay.

jasond
04-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Just picked up my new front R-SYS!!!!

Yaaay.

I really thought I would have received mine by now since Mavic USA is in my backyard just about.

jasond
05-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I pick my R-sys replacement a two weeks ago. When the wheel is mounted in the fork I can grab the tire and pull the wheel slightly side to side. Is the wheel suppose to have a little side to side play? I don't remember the original doing this.

Thanks
J

legacysti888
05-10-2009, 03:35 PM
There isn't any play in mine.

BumbleBeeDave
05-10-2009, 07:20 PM
. . . as a double secret double wheel probation recall? :crap:

BBD

LONE RIDER
05-15-2009, 01:25 AM
While we are on the R-Sys topic, has anyone had corrosion problems with the front wheel magnet? Mine lasted less than a year and I was in the process of contacting Mavic to see about a replacement. I hope they slide a new one on during the rebuild. I plan on coating it with something that will not corrode the carbon. Any thoughts? :crap:

rustychisel
05-15-2009, 02:03 AM
my thoughts on this are largely unprintable but do involve a rubber chicken and jello

jasond
05-15-2009, 04:38 AM
They now give you a removable magnet. Same design but the magnet can break in two.

J