PDA

View Full Version : quiet wheels?

vqdriver
01-07-2009, 02:30 PM
quick question. without having to try out every hub maker out there, who makes quiet rear hubs? i love my eurus wheels, but along with my old ksyriums, the rear mechanism is really loud when coasting.
it didn't really bother me before but now that i tow my kid in a trailer, i hate waking him up from a nap by coasting up to an intersection with that tatatatatatatatat.

i'm looking for campy compatible, so shimano hubs are out.

tia

jbrainin
01-07-2009, 03:02 PM
The quietest wheels I've encountered recently are Campy Hyperon Ultra Clinchers. They are nearly silent while coasting unlike the DT, Tune or Mavic hubs I have used. They ain't cheap, but they're quiet!

joelh
01-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Interesting question. I have wondered why some hubs are so much noisier than others. I have xero wheels on my felt and they are nearly silent. askum wheels on my serotta and they are a bit noisy. I have ridden group rides with people whose wheels can be heard a mile away.

rockdude
01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Put a very light coat of Phil grease in the cassette body. It will make a big difference.

BumbleBeeDave
01-07-2009, 03:50 PM
But I got two pairs of Velomax (now Easton) Vista wheels for use on my cross bike and I was stunned by how silent they are. I'm not sure if all Easton wheels are like that, though.

BBD

Steve in SLO
01-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Put a very light coat of Phil grease in the cassette body. It will make a big difference.

+1
I have several pairs of Neuvation R28 SLs and when I coasted they sounded like a fishing reel singing as a monster fish was stripping line. I put some Phil grease inside the cassette body over the pawls and now they are silent as the grave, which makes fast descents so much more pleasurable. Oh, and no problems with slipping/skipping pawls either.

android
01-07-2009, 04:06 PM
The Dura Ace 7850 hubs are very quiet right out of the box.

mschol17
01-07-2009, 04:12 PM
The DT hubs in Bontrager wheels are completely silent

Marcusaurelius
01-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Bontrager racelite wheels I had once were quiet but they had sealed bearing and I'm not a big fan of sealed bearing unless they are in a phil wood hub.

dekindy
01-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Shimano are the quietest I ever heard.

CNY rider
01-07-2009, 05:40 PM
The DT hubs in Bontrager wheels are completely silent

Interesting.
I have two sets of handbuilts with DT 240s rear hubs.
They sound like angry bumblebees.

fourflys
01-07-2009, 05:45 PM
both my xero and Ultegra hubs are ultra quiet (as are my LX hubs on my Riv)

Auk
01-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Shimano made some silent clutch hubs for use on police bikes. 135mm spacing and damn heavy, but after respacing, I used them on a set of wheels. You might hear the tires, but you don't hear anything from the hub.

tv_vt
01-07-2009, 07:56 PM
My mavic freehubs get noisy about yearly. I pull them off, wipe out the insides, and put on a few drops of mineral oil, then put them back together. Quiets it right down.

Re the Phil grease: I've heard it's a real no-no to use grease in freehubs. Gums up the pawls. Have always heard you should use light oil instead.

Thom

dshaner
01-07-2009, 08:02 PM
The DT Swiss mon chasseral's are very quiet to my ear, coming from ksyerium's.

Satellite
01-07-2009, 08:28 PM
My mavic freehubs get noisy about yearly. I pull them off, wipe out the insides, and put on a few drops of mineral oil, then put them back together. Quiets it right down.

Re the Phil grease: I've heard it's a real no-no to use grease in freehubs. Gums up the pawls. Have always heard you should use light oil instead.

Thom

I have a King Hub with a little bit of Mobil 1 Synthetic oil added it has hushed them right up and I think everyone knows how loud Kings are. They still make a little noise but nothing like my other King wheels sets without the Mobil 1.

rockdude
01-07-2009, 08:55 PM

Thom

Light oil or Mineral oil is recommended and I use it on top of my light coat of Phil's. They only problem I have noticed with Phil's is in real cold weather (below 20 degrees) the free hub is a little sticky and doesn't spin freely. If my pawl get gummy, its not a problem to spend 20 mins. and clean them.

Blue Jays
01-07-2009, 09:08 PM
NOS Regina CX freewheel, baby! We're talking barely audible at any speed.

My Campagnolo Hyperon Ultras are approximately the same sound volume as my Campagnolo Shamals...which are both pleasantly non-offensive.

Steve in SLO
01-07-2009, 09:11 PM

Thom

Thom,
I've heard warnings over the years about grease and pawls, but since I like a stealthy bike, I have used it regularly since my first cassette body in the 90s and have had no problems with sticky pawls.
YMMV, however.

lavi
01-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Loud freehubs save lives! :beer: