PDA

View Full Version : Rider specific tubing

RichMc
11-26-2004, 12:57 PM
OK, now I'm set with 3 different, though somewhat similar, custom fit specifications. The last one done at Wheatridge Cycles by Jack Ham, the full on size cycle one hour program. I've narrowed my Serotta choices to either a CDA or a CIII. The spec sheets call for rider specific or rider tunable Niobium steel tubing but what I want to know is who makes the call on the tubing? I know this has to do with selecting various different tubing wall thicknesses. How does Serotta do this? Is this further discussion with my fitter who then relays the info to Serotta or is there a direct line between the buyer and the factory at the time of frame building? Is this a frame size to tube wall thickness ratio determination? My concern is with a possible communication distortion once I relay my riding style and desired ride feel wishes to the fitter who then has to relay that to the factory. Just one more degree of separation that could affect the intended outcome. Thanks in advance.

RichMc

Rollin'
11-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Don't worry too much about a distortion in the communication process. When a Serotta is ordered, there is a 5 page sheet that your fitter will fill out with your assistance. It will ask for fit information as well as riding style (mileage, pedaling cadence, recreational vs racing, etc.) and body weight. All these things are taken into consideration when selecting the size of tubing to use. This order form is then faxed to Serotta, and Kelly will draft a frame. Then the draft will be sent back to the fitter for approval. If I feel that my customer has concerns like yours, I may even run this draft by him/her to put him at ease before I fax it back to Serotta. The draft includes things like color, geometry, and any special frame fittings, etc.
Most important in affecting ride quality is the diameter of tubing used. Wall thickness plays a much less signifacant role in most cases.
Sounds like you will have an awesome bike!!! :)

RichMc
11-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Thanks "Rollin". That bit of news allays most of my concerns. Good to know.

tch
11-27-2004, 05:11 PM
When fitter/shop calls with the frame design, make sure that you specify EVERYTHING you want/don't want. I assumed that Serotta would include a pump peg as a standard feature, and four years later, I am still missing it.