PDA

View Full Version : a world without cars

Climb01742
11-25-2004, 10:01 AM
thanksgiving morning has, over the years, been one of my favorite days to go for a ride or a run. why? because on thanksgiving morning, especially early, we athletes have the roads blissfully to ourselves. i was out the door this morning by 7:30 (dodging rain showers) and in over two hours of riding, i saw five cars. i know a world without cars is an impractical dream, but every thanksgiving i'm treated to a glimpse of that dream made real. i'm thankful for that. and for the big hunger i worked up and the pumpkin pie with ice cream that will fill it.

Bill Bove
11-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Enjoy your pie. I went out this morning under threatening skies and a strong 20mph wind out of the south. I went south to meet up with a group that was coming north, with the tailwind. I caught them and we hauled *** with that wonderful tailwind. Then, then we had to make the inevetible turn around, oh boy. As we battled the ferocious headwind the clouds decided to lessen their load, on us. We went 20 miles into the wind and rain with gusts pushing us backwards and across road at times, what fun. We got to where thay had all started and broke up with a couple us having to come back up north, fortanately with the wind now again at our backs, a nice reward for the trip south. Ended up with 75 miles, a filthy bike and a pit in my stomach that only a thanksgiving dinner will fill, bring on that turkey, that stuffing, those yams, mashed spuds, I'm ready for ya, except for Mr. Eggnog, you make me fat, but I love anyway.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, I'm thankfull for so many things, the Red Sox, my family, my friends, I'm a lucky guy.

toaster
11-25-2004, 12:57 PM
Beautiful day in Southern California. Brisk temps of 45 degrees at the start, barely much traffic that early.

Two incidents to report of people who just don't get it: One pickup truck with utility bed and carrying some lumber on bed rack honks the horn and swoops by real close at us on a straight stretch of highway with perfect visibility and nothing coming the other way just to be a di*k. Lastly, I'm approaching stop light in 30 mph zone and I'm feeling a big SUV real close on my wheel so I look back and this sucker is right on me playing tailgate the bicycle at 25 mph. He rushed up on to my rear wheel just so I would know who's bigger. Yeah, the bigger coward and ignorant a**whole.

So, Happy Thanksgiving to all, even to the ones who drive their four wheeled "cages" and create ill will on our roads, always done with no thought or regard for others.

vaxn8r
11-25-2004, 05:36 PM
I'll echo what a beautiful ride on Thanksgiving morning brings. It really doesn't matter what the weather brings on a day like this. Rain, sun, rain sun. Spectacular! 50 miles of no-car bliss.

Sadly, in a world without cars we wouldn't have the amazing interlace of Oregon country roads. Probably at least not paved ones.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

bostondrunk
11-26-2004, 09:52 AM
OK, yeah, sure its nice to have open roads to ride 15mph on, but lets not lose site of the fact that half the people on this forum drive BMW's, SUV's, and would probably be more likely to use those to travel the two blocks for your morning coffee and dozen donuts. Whats that saying about a black kettle?? :no:

Bill Bove
11-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Bostondrunk, a tryptophane hang over this morning? There a few of us on this board who can best 15mph (going downhill) and I for one actually ride my bike that two blocks for my morning juice and life sustaining daily dozen.

Happily car free since December 4th 1994. :banana:

Climb01742
11-26-2004, 03:35 PM
OK, yeah, sure its nice to have open roads to ride 15mph on, but lets not lose site of the fact that half the people on this forum drive BMW's, SUV's, and would probably be more likely to use those to travel the two blocks for your morning coffee and dozen donuts. Whats that saying about a black kettle?? :no:

you have a singular skill for turning something pleasant into something unpleasant. it must make you very proud.

gasman
11-26-2004, 07:49 PM
I too had a wonderful Thanksgiving day ride, 72 miles to my sister-in-laws house for dinner. It would have been better except for the headwind the last 40 miles. I was wishing there had someone to share the pain of pulling instead of being on a solo break. I was glad to finish in a couple minutes over 4 hrs. and end up very hungry.
I saw several other cyclists, all with big smiles, of course they were going with the wind. :rolleyes:

This forum is a wonderful place to connect and learn about bikes. I personally could give a rip about how much,how far or how fast people ride. I could give a rip what people drive,as long as they are riding I say,"Good on you" ,:banana:

....even if they are on a recumbent.Of course I also think when I see a recumbant-"Why?"

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2004, 08:34 PM
. . . I think you’re just wondering that because on a regular bike you get a rocket assist when you practice your talent, but on a ‘bent you would be riding along and suddenly the bike would hop up in the air . . . great fun!

BBD

gasman
11-26-2004, 09:26 PM
. . . I think you’re just wondering that because on a regular bike you get a rocket assist when you practice your talent, but on a ‘bent you would be riding along and suddenly the bike would hop up in the air . . . great fun!

BBD

It might even go backwards !!

Kevan
11-26-2004, 09:57 PM
the Thanksgiving roads were wet and super slippery, but it was balmy and the weather promised to improve. Got in about 40 miles and then just 2-3 miles away from home this big... dark... ugly... cloud moved in and dumped it's payload on us. Soaked. :D

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2004, 10:10 PM
. . . . (fortunately, in the car!) for Rochester at about 8:30 yesterday morning to have T-giving dinner with some friends, and just as we hit Amsterdam about 15 miles west of here about 9 there was just this solid WALL of clouds going almost all the way down to the ground. Dark. REALLY dark. Literally roiling and seething. Lightning! The wind started blowing as we hit it, it started pouring rain, and lightning flashing all around us. I had the vent open and the temps absolutely PLUNGED.

When we left Schenectady it was about 55 and partly sunny. As we left I saw several other cyclists out, including several crossing the Thruway on bridges as we left town. I hope they got home OK, because I would not have liked to have been on a bike out in that . . .

BBDave