PDA

View Full Version : Hutchinson Tubeless - Hutchinson 'Slime' In Winter

keno
01-06-2009, 05:53 AM
I have the Shimano 7850 wheels with Hutchinson Tubeless tires. I treated the tires with the Hutchinson version of slime. I flatted on Sunday, and discovered when I broke the tire down a rather small puncture. I would have expected the slime to take care of it as the puncture was smaller than the 3mm the slime purports to protect. I patched it and am back to square one.

What occurs to me is that cold weather may have an effect on the slime. When I broke the tire down, there were globs of the slime, rather than a liquid which centrifical force would distribute to the puncture. Is the slime useless in cold weather (it's been quite cold for NJ, sub 20 at night)?

Is there another way to go to prevent flats?

keno

LegendRider
01-06-2009, 06:44 AM
I'm glad you brought this up. I put the Hutchinson sealant in my DA7850/Hutchinson tubeless wheels this summer and noticed the same thing. It was clumpy and inconsistent - I was wondering if it was "spoiled" or defective. I did a conversion using the Stan's kit and his sealant has a very even consistency. It appears much better.

rnhood
01-06-2009, 08:19 AM
These are good questions concerning the sealant but, the people I know riding these Shimano wheels have the tires inflated with only air. They carry the Fast Air canister with them in case of a flat. Perhaps this works better especially if the canister of Fast Air is in a jersey pocket where it will be a bit warmer. It should flow better when injected into the tire. Of course there is a tradeoff in that this canister injected sealant is more limited in the size of the hole that can be reliably sealed. Still, this is the way I would go.

For cold winter riding, I would recommend carrying a tube. This will provide a more reliable repair means until one can get back home and patch/repair the puncture. The fact is, the tubless Huctchinson tire does not flat often. So the chance of needing this tube is pretty low, imho.

gemship
01-06-2009, 08:41 AM
good info as I have the same wheelset. My local lbs that sold it to me recommended I go with clinchers, since then I've only logged about 600 miles on the wheels. Not sure if I'll ever run tubeless but the more knowledge I have may persuade me otherwise.

weatherman
01-06-2009, 08:59 AM
.... When I broke the tire down, there were globs of the slime, rather than a liquid which centrifical force would distribute to the puncture. Is the slime useless in cold weather (it's been quite cold for NJ, sub 20 at night)?

Is there another way to go to prevent flats?

keno

How long ago did you set the tires up? Presumably this is the same stuff we've used in mtb tires for ages (well, it seems like ages anyway)--over time the "pure liquid" will clump up as it collects little pieces of rubber/debris within the tire itself and will ultimately clump up--sure, heat and/or cold contributes as well, but you are taking what is effectively liquid latex/sealant from a pure environment where it has nothing to bond with and placing it in a debris filled environment and subjecting it to heat/cold (not all of which is the ambient air temperature--keep in mind that the air in tires heats up as you ride in the summer etc as a result of contact with the hot pavement etc)

So, long story short, your results don't surprise me (for what thats worth) assuming you set your wheels/tires up some time ago. Now, if it was a totally fresh setup, say within the last 4-6 weeks then maybe you've got an issue. Again, IMHO.....

I've never run road tubeless, but have run mtb tubeless since it first became available so I could be totally off if the road systems use different sealant etc although I don't think thats the case.

The good news--you've been able to get out riding! Weather hasn't really been cooperative around here--I'd take a ride with a flat (or two) over what we've had of late!

:)

keno
01-06-2009, 09:02 AM
I carry tubes for repairs. I was convined by my one experience with Fast Air. I had a flat and used the Fast Air. It turned out to be a defective tire on which vulcanization of the rubber to the casing was incomplete. Not only did Fast Air not do the job, it is messy as can be, and expensive as once started the cannister cannot be stopped so one flat is it.

I'm still curious about Stan's in the cold weather, like 20 degrees as the minimum. I'm also curious as to how much to use for a 23mm tire. Even Fast Air doesn't give a measurement as its first intended use is for mountain bike tires. Stan's doesn't address the issue either, and having watched his video I can't remember if he touches on the subject. Maybe an email to Stan is called for, which I am now about to do.

Here's the skinny. I just got off the phone with a technical guy at Stan's. Here is what I learned. Stan's stays liquid in sub zero temperatures. 2 oz of Stan's for each 700x23 wheel. They sell a compatible valve with a removable core to replace the Shimano valve. Otherwise, he suggests pouring the 2 oz in an unseated gap at about the 7 o'clock position as 2 oz will overflow if poured in at 6 o'clock position. Then bring the useated portion to the 12 o'clock position for final mounting. Stan's will dry out in about six months, so twice a year is the necessary application. It is good for cuts up to 1/4" (6mm).

Next purchase will be a pint of Stan's.

keno