PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding bike

stackie
01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
So,

I'm about to rebuild my bike after a repaint post crash. I've found replacement parts for the bits that were damaged in the crash. My question is what kind of deep cleaning would people do on used bits, since they are already off the bike. Would you just wipe everything down with pledge, get into the nooks and crannies and call it good? Would you disassemble brake calipers to clean and lube?

Thanks,

Jon

bigbill
01-04-2009, 10:47 PM
You don't need to disassemble the brakes, just spend a little quality time with an old t-shirt to clean them well. I would disassemble the RD to clean and lube it and use an old toothbrush to clean out the insides of the parallelogram and the springs on the FD. If it's campy and it has been many thousand miles, a new set of g-springs would probably be a good idea. Buy a new cable kit and brake pads. It'll roll out like a new bike. Take a good look at any components that might have taken an impact on the crash such as stems, bars, and seatpost.

thwart
01-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Kind of a philosophical question... how anal (alright, 'organized') do you want to be?

I'd probably take some time to do it since I'd feel better if I did. And it's much easier with stuff off the bike.

And it's the middle of a dead and dark winter and it would give me a tactile bike fix... :p

Blue Jays
01-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Perhaps one of those ultrasonic cleaning devices to really make the components sparkle.

stackie
01-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Thanks all,

I did spring for a new cable set. I'll attack the RD pretty hard. Tonight, I spent getting the levers just so on the bars and the new cables in place.

Jon

SoCalSteve
01-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Spray bottle citrus degreaser goes a long way to get in the nooks and crannys without having to disassemble anything.Also, just some high pressure hot water in the sink helps as well.

I always clean all the components before I reassemble them back on the bike...Its the only real time you have do a thorough cleaning.

Also, replace chain and cassette as needed (if your rebuilding anyways).

Have fun!

Steve

stackie
01-05-2009, 03:47 PM
So, I started thinking that if I take the RD apart to clean and lube it, what do I lube it with? Phil's WP grease, Phil's tenacious oil? Prolink chain lube? Those are my standards.

Thanks,

Jon

Tom Byrnes
01-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi Jon,

Sorry to hear about your crash. I am curious - which bike was damaged?

Best regards,

Tom

stackie
01-05-2009, 08:16 PM
The 'nilla road. This was the crash in March. I've just been riding fixed since then until I got the motivation to take her apart and assess damage. I had Sacha repaint it for me as a treat/karma thing. Maybe, I'll post some pics of it and its sisters when she's built. I keep saying that and never do.

Still have a soft spot for SoCal. Went down there for vacation this fall and Tgiving. Brought the fixie for Tgiving. It was so amazing to ride there again. I envy San Diegans.

Jon

Tom Byrnes
01-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Jon,

Very sorry to hear that it was a Vanilla. I had a bad feeling that it might have been one of yours.

So Cal cycling is hard to beat, especially in the late Fall and Winter. Let us know when you will down this way.

Hope the practice is going well.

Best,

Tom

Pete Serotta
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Is it coming to SOLVANG??? :)

Jon,

Very sorry to hear that it was a Vanilla. I had a bad feeling that it might have been one of yours.

So Cal cycling is hard to beat, especially in the late Fall and Winter. Let us know when you will down this way.

Hope the practice is going well.

Best,

Tom

Tom Byrnes
01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Hi Pete,

Goodrich is built. I need to get some photos taken and up on the Forum. Beautiful riding bike.

I may bring my Goodrich to Solvang, although it presently does not have Solvang-type gearing. Are you bringing your Goodrich to Solvang? If you do, I will definitely bring mine.

Tom

cpg
01-09-2009, 10:11 AM
I think you should. Just sayin'. :)

Curt

SoCalSteve
01-09-2009, 10:24 AM
I think you should. Just sayin'. :)

Curt

Just curious why you would say this?

Just askin'

Steve

cpg
01-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Just curious why you would say this?

Just askin'

Steve

'Cuz their frames are painted identically and I'm biased.

Curt

Pete Serotta
01-09-2009, 12:18 PM
'Cuz their frames are painted identically and I'm biased.

Curt

I think we should bring them and that Curt should come also!!!! ;)

Tom Byrnes
01-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Then, it is settled. The Goodrich Twins, fully dressed, shall meet in person in Solvang.