PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh, typically Texas....weather!

trophyoftexas
01-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Talk about weather changes....rode in 77 degree warmth yesterday....then in 37 degree, 25mph north wind today! I guess I shouldn't complain, 37 degrees is probably a light heat wave right now for some of y'all and it will be back in the 60's here again within a few days. A 40 degree drop in 24 hours is just sorta crazy sounding but I searched my riding records and saw that it has happened to me 3-4 times during the past 10 years or so of record keeping. Sure wish it would drop like that sometime in the summer when it's 100 degrees for days on end!

RPS
01-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I went out at 3 PM this afternoon and it was 70F and sunny north of Houston with the temperature dropping after the front. Still pretty nice compared to most areas -- I'd still be out if I hadn't flatted. For winter we are lucky.

Dave Hickey
01-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I road 65 miles yesterday.. beautiful day

Today, I couldn't stand riding in the cold temps so I went for a long hike instead....

L84dinr
01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
I cut fire wood and built a roll around for my welder. lol

Erik.Lazdins
01-04-2009, 06:26 PM
78 yesterday and 33 today with the same north winds you had there in Texas :beer:

a few weeks back had 74 degrees followed by 14 the next afternoon at ride time

I still think Dave Kirk has us beat with weather change stories

jlwdm
01-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I am in the process of moving to Texas from Arizona and just got my Serotta here this week. Got in a short ride on the 1st and 44 miles yesterday in and near Flower Mound, I think. No rides for five weeks until these rides.

No ride today - too cold so I worked all day.

Living in Westlake and looking for areas to ride.

Jeff

Dave Hickey
01-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I am in the process of moving to Texas from Arizona and just got my Serotta here this week. Got in a short ride on the 1st and 44 miles yesterday in and near Flower Mound, I think. No rides for five weeks until these rides.

Jeff

Welcome to the metroplex...Go west and north and you'll have plenty great riding....... Check out Mad Duck in Grapevine or Bicycles Inc in Keller for group rides

jlwdm
01-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Dave:

I have been to Mad Duck and Bicycles, Inc. - both acted like you needed to be really fast to be in their groups. I have ridden more consistent miles in the last 22 months than anytime in my life but I am not naturally fast and I am 61.

I showed up at Mad Duck on Saturday after riding about 10 miles to warm up. 80% of the riders were in various team kits and most were young and lean. Unfortunately, the group of 40-50 did not all clear the first stop light a few hundred yards down the road. Seven of us missed the light; there should have been more but some riders ran the light going through riders that were stopping. Then at the next light four of the riders who missed the first light ran this second light. Not my kind of a ride.

I went across the dam to Lakeside and rode a bunch around there and then talked to a rider who rode with me for 15 miles and showed me how to get off the first part of Lakeside and go through the local neighborhoods to better riding. We ended up down at the park with the mountain bike trails on the lake. It was really great to have this rider show me around.

I am pretty good about just exploring new routes and asking other riders on the road for good places to go.

I have to go back to Scottsdale for a few days this week, but I have a bike there so I can get some riding in.

Jeff

Arklatex
01-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Check out the Carrollton Cycling Club, you can google it. They have several rides that start in Irving, not too far from you. All of the rides split into sub groups at various speed levels. Good Luck!

acorn_user
01-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Tyler was like that over Christmas. But the roads were awful! Some of the county roads were better suited to a full suspension mtb than a road bike. East Texas is really pretty, but Virginia roads feel like magic carpets in comparison...

jlwdm
01-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Arklatex

Thanks for the heads up.

Jeff

thwart
01-04-2009, 10:55 PM
37 degrees is probably a light heat wave right now for some of y'all You got that right.

Rollers...

Dave Hickey
01-05-2009, 06:21 AM
Jeff, let me know when you get back....

I'm probably slower than you...

If you want to ride some weekend, I'd be happy to show you around.

I'm a wanderer so it's hard to give a particular route but I can say that I safely ride from my house(15 minutes south of you) to downtown Dallas or Fort Worth and back every weekend .

jlwdm
01-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Dave:

Thanks for the offer - I will be in touch.

Jeff

Volant
01-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Rain, rain, go away.... It's rained 24 out of last 30 days here - flood warnings today. I enjoy running in the rain, but for some reason, not biking in it (probably due to spray and drivers can't see me as well). This must be what it's like in Seattle!

Floyd Dakil
01-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Rode 2.5 hours NE from Austin on Sunday. Went Cameron Rd. to New Sweden and then back to Progress Coffee near downtown Austin. It was about 48 degrees and cloudy. The wind was blowing up to 20 mph, and we shivered when we stopped to fix a flat. Being in the front was tough when we were going straight into the wind, and no one wanted to stay there for very long. Still, yesterday was nothing compared to three weeks ago, when the wind was significantly stronger and the temperature was 38 degrees.

gman
01-05-2009, 09:50 AM

Jeff

Welcome, Jeff!

I just moved to the area back in June. I live in Grapevine and there are many good routes to choose from.

Check this site:
http://www.kellercycling.com/page1/page1.html

There are several maps of routes there, and many more not listed.

Look me up if you want to ride sometime. I roll through Westlake/Roanoke/Trophy Club on the weekends.

Cheers!

jlwdm
01-05-2009, 10:11 AM
gman:

Thanks for all of the great info. There sure are a lot of rides that say THIS IS NOT A NO DROP RIDE.

I look forward to riding with you.

Jeff

gman
01-05-2009, 06:51 PM
gman:

Thanks for all of the great info. There sure are a lot of rides that say THIS IS NOT A NO DROP RIDE.

I look forward to riding with you.

Jeff

I should have stated that I have not done any of them as of yet. I am lucky to have a couple of neighbors that are cyclists and have mostly been riding with them or going solo.

One of the guys knows those rides well, and he said they are true to their description - "no drop" and "not a no drop".

Redturbo
01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Welcome, Jeff!

I just moved to the area back in June. I live in Grapevine and there are many good routes to choose from.

Check this site:
http://www.kellercycling.com/page1/page1.html

There are several maps of routes there, and many more not listed.

Look me up if you want to ride sometime. I roll through Westlake/Roanoke/Trophy Club on the weekends.

Cheers!
If you click on the kellercycling link they have a forum. A bunch of real nice folks. Tell them ScottB sent you and to be nice or I will come over hurt them :bike: