PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Hamilton speaks

J.M. White
11-24-2004, 08:44 AM
See link for Hamilton's statement concerning his alleged positives:

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7242.0.html

He raises some interesting, if not troubling, issues concerning the WADA tests.

BumbleBeeDave
11-24-2004, 09:03 AM
Note that "PR Newswire" is just that--a PR service that is paid to distribute PR related materials to newspapers and other news organizations. We frequently get photos from them--clearly labelled as such--on the AP photo feed. In other words, he paid them to distribute this. Yet another lesson he is apparently learing in how to fight the PR war . . .

BBDave

Hamilton issues statement in his defense
By PR Newswire
This report filed November 23, 2004

Statement from U.S. Gold Medalist Tyler Hamilton Regarding Doping Charge
Tuesday November 23, 11:40 am ET
WASHINGTON, Nov. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- The following is a statement from U.S. gold medalist Tyler Hamilton regarding doping charge:

As an athlete I realize that sometimes you may have to lose a few races to gain the knowledge on what it takes to win. Relating to my doping charge, I will say that, up to this point, I have been losing the "pr" war -- partially because I naively thought that if I stated whole-heartedly that I have never and would never engage in blood doping or any form of cheating -- and waited for the process to exonerate me, I would be fine. I also naively thought that officials within the various "anti-doping" organizations would wait for the due process before passing judgment on me publicly. Again I was wrong. I know now that if I wait to discuss at least a few points of fact with the public, by the time I am fully exonerated, and I know I will be exonerated, my reputation may be jeopardized.

So with that being said, I would like to dispel some things that have been said inaccurately in the media.

1. Despite indications to the contrary my A sample from the Olympics, the one that first brought on this issue, was initially determined to be negative for blood doping. When it was re-analyzed -- and I am not sure why it was re- analyzed -- it was again deemed negative. It was not a clearly positive test as it has been characterized. Instead, the results of both negative tests were reviewed by a "panel of experts" and then apparently deemed positive. This much review of one sample calls into question the validity of this test, which has been criticized by many very reputable scientists as being inaccurate and unreliable. To this day, I have not been provided any paperwork from the IOC that states my A Sample was positive.

As blood testing is a fact of life for a professional cyclist, it is critical that tests are reliable and proven. On that note, I have been tested over 50 times throughout my career and this is the first time I have ever even been questioned, so again this is new and beyond upsetting to me. Everyday throughout the world, somebody gets news of a false medical test result. Fortunately, in most of these cases the "false positive" is correctable.

2. Again, contrary to what you have heard in the media, my B sample from the Olympics was not accidentally frozen. I have no idea why an official would lie about this procedure but for the record, the protocol is for the B sample to be frozen when the A sample is negative. This was the case with me after my A Sample was deemed negative and is why the lab froze the B sample, as opposed to a lab "mistake."

Moreover, comparing my test results from Athens to "test results" from Spain reveal serious inconsistencies, which could mean that 1) the test itself is invalid; 2) the test method was not followed; or 3) that one of the samples is not my blood. On this note, I have asked numerous times for my blood to be DNA tested. I have been turned down and also not been allowed to have independent scientists review the findings. In addition, repeated requests to review the raw data and the testing protocol have been thwarted or denied. Doesn't that sound odd?

To conclude, these are only a few points of the many that I will be bringing up during the examination process of my case, but I wanted people to have these facts to consider.

I know we are living in an age where we unfortunately hear about athletes who cheat and I have to admit that, prior to this, when I saw something on the news regarding doping or some kind of cheating, it seemed very black and white. I have now learned that drug testing is very complicated, and mistakes can be made. I have always admitted when I have made tactical mistakes in races, and I hope that when this case is over, the testers and the agencies involved will admit to their mistakes as well.

I also believe that it is important to keep sports clean and wholly understand that testing is a necessity and will continue to adhere by the rules. This is why it is all the more important that we have a process to expose doping/cheating that works. We need to have officials who protect the process, which includes reserving judgment until all avenues are explored and validated, and utilizing tests that are absolutely accurate. It is unfair to work through the kinks on new and unproven tests with athletes who have trained a lifetime and whose whole livelihood can be eliminated with an inaccurate test.

In the end, I am not a lawyer, scientist or a publicist so I am learning how to win this particular race fairly in the only way I know, with the truth. What I am is a guy who loves to ride his bike and compete and I have done so for 10 years without ever bending the rules.

chrisroph
11-24-2004, 09:13 AM
He should fight in all arenas including using pr. Also, he raises some valid points.

BumbleBeeDave
11-24-2004, 09:34 AM
. . . and I'll say it again. The "War against doping" is too important to the UCI's reputation and, therefore, their bottom line for the UCI to lose this or admit they have messed up--and I believe someone besides Tyler, somewhere HAS messed up. They will seek to win at almost any cost.

BBDave

OldDog
11-24-2004, 11:56 AM
"They will seek to win at almost any cost."

BBDave[/QUOTE]

If there is truly a "coverup" by governing bodies to cover their *ss sacrificing an Olympic athlete in the process, that would be truly sad. Should Tyler prevail, and I for one hope he does, all the governing bodies involved should fire all those involved and Tyler should sue their sorry butts and make an example of them.

Andreu
11-24-2004, 12:14 PM
.........that the cycling bodies have the intelligence to cover up anything or win at all cost. They strike me as being an antiquated bunch of ****wits in an organisation with too much inertia who quite frankly couldnŽt organise a p** up in a brewery.
IŽll get off the fence in a minute and say what I am really thinking.
A

BumbleBeeDave
11-24-2004, 02:20 PM
. . . that has continued to amaze me through the years I've spent at newspapers is how consistent the reaction is of ANY existing bureaucracy when it sees its position of power and/or influence threatened. We cover them all the time, and here in the state capital there's no shortage of them! :rolleyes:

Sometimes its just an overall reaction, as from a state agency from people protecting their cushy state jobs. Sometimes its from a non-profit when the "goal" of their fundraising is achieved. (What?!?! They cured OUR disease?!?!) Other times its from the leader(s) of such an organization/agency who sees his (their) power and ego being assaulted.

I've seen no shortage of hubris from Hein Verbruggen, chairman of the UCI, over the years I've been following cycling. His latest pronouncement is with the Pro Tour--it's HIS baby and he is doing his best to brush aside any opposition from the organizers of the three "Grand Tours" who see no reason why they should share running of their races (and the profits they generate) with the UCI. Verbruggen's reaction has not been negotiation, but a publicly stated determination to go ahead with the Pro Tour no matter WHAT. After literally years of trying to pretend that doping is not even a problem worthy of attention, he has finally signed onto the rooting out of "dope cheats" with a vengeance.

Why now, after years of obstinate resistance? Simple . . . He wants to make the Pro Tour work as his crowning achievement before his oncoming retirement--and to make it work, he MUST have the backing of WADA and the other powers that be in the world of cycling and other big money sports who have already made clear their dedication to getting rid of doping.

And why does he need the backing of other sports? Because he wants to be head of the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. He's not going to command much respect when he takes on THAT job unless he has already proved he can make the big deal happen by making this Pro Tour project work. But that's not going to happen unless he gets the support he needs, and he's not going to get that support unless he makes this anti-doping initiative stick--and the pillar of that anti-doping initiative is the blood testing introduced this past summer that the Hamilton affair is calling into question. The reliability and integrity of the blood testing system MUST stand or everything else is in danger for him.

I've just seen this type of thing too many times in this state's politics to ignore what seems to be obviously happening in the Hamilton affair. Because it's becoming clear to me that it's about politics--not fairness, not truth, and not sports.

A cynical perspective, perhaps. But it's what this jaded old bumble bee sees.

BBDave