PDA

View Full Version : Question about threshold intervals

paczki
01-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I've been doing 4x9 minute threshold intervals on the trainer. Today I tried them at 10% above my threshold wattage and I still had some pep at the end.
Is there any reason to not do them a little bit above your threshold?

mike p
01-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Some people smarter than I will chime in, but I would ask are you sure your 10% above your lactate threshold? If so I would think you'd be pretty tired. When was the last time you tested. Lactate threshold is trainable and will move higher the better shape you get in.

Mike

jbrainin
01-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Lactate threshold is trainable and will move higher the better shape you get in.

Mike

Weird: preparing for my cross-country trip, my LT was lower the second time tested, just before the trip began, but my power output was greater at the lower threshold. I never could quite understand how that could be.

And, yeah, if after doing those intervals at 10% over LT you are not tired then something is amiss as you should certainly feel fatigued after such an effort.

paczki
01-02-2009, 06:43 AM
That's what I figured. I was certainly fatigued but not -- "must take nap" fatigued.

So I should assume that exhaustion in 4 x 9s tracks 30 minute threshold fairly well (36 total minutes with three minute rest in between). And also that holding something for an extended period above your threshold is fine for training purposes if you can do it. In fact it just shows your threshold is a bit higher.

ergott
01-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Increase the time of each interval. Try to get up to 15 minutes per.

The goal is 60min of threshold.

happycampyer
01-02-2009, 07:54 AM
How are you determining your threshold wattage?

If you are taking your average wattage for, say, a 10-mile "time trial," you get one number. If you do a ramp test where someone measures your VO2 input and CO2 output, you'll get another number (among other things, your wattage at ventilatory threshold). The average wattage for the 10-mile time trial should be higher than the wattage at ventilatory threshold.

Either way, if now you can do 4x9 intervals at 110% of that wattage easily, it sounds like your fitness has improved and you should do another test to confirm that. The amount of rest/recovery before a workout will also make a difference in how you feel during and after that workout.

kerrycycle
01-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Just curious, LT Intervals are typically done in the final build-up to peak fitness. Unless you are racing in Australia, it seems a bit out of season.

Not my business; just an observation.

paczki
01-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Just curious, LT Intervals are typically done in the final build-up to peak fitness. Unless you are racing in Australia, it seems a bit out of season.

They are fun :banana:

paczki
01-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Increase the time of each interval. Try to get up to 15 minutes per.

The goal is 60min of threshold.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking. I've been doing 2x20s as well. When I can do a 3x20 it's definitely time to ramp up the wattage.

paczki
01-02-2009, 04:17 PM
How are you determining your threshold wattage?

If you are taking your average wattage for, say, a 10-mile "time trial," you get one number. If you do a ramp test where someone measures your VO2 input and CO2 output, you'll get another number (among other things, your wattage at ventilatory threshold). The average wattage for the 10-mile time trial should be higher than the wattage at ventilatory threshold.

Either way, if now you can do 4x9 intervals at 110% of that wattage easily, it sounds like your fitness has improved and you should do another test to confirm that. The amount of rest/recovery before a workout will also make a difference in how you feel during and after that workout.

I was using the protocol in Training with a Power Meter. So a 30 minute well-warmed up time-trial paying close attention to the last 20 minutes. Great book, BTW.