PDA

View Full Version : Serrota Colorado C4-Ti, What it Worth???

speedemon
11-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Hi All

I just happened to be looking at a Serrota Colorado C4-Ti bike at a shop which is an older model. It's a 2001 model frame with a current all Ultegra components, Ritchey wheels and bars. Just a couple of question that you Serrota gurus might be able to answer. Since it’s a 2001 frame with current components and the 2001 frame it does have the 1” head tube with the F1 fork instead of the 1-1/8”, F2 fork on the 2004 model. How much do you honestly think this bike is worth? Also how much difference is the 2001 oppose to the 2004 besides the head size being 1” oppose to the 1-1/8” on the newer model and how much better is that? I’m probably going to finalizing this transaction tomorrow.

Thanks

Orin
11-24-2004, 02:04 AM
Douglas is offering a 2000ish Legend for $1400. A late 1990s Legend was recently offered for $1300. A used Ultegra kit is worth what? New is running $1100 at Excel Sports. 50 to 60% of that for used perhaps?

The advantage (if any) of the 1 1/8 head tube comes with carbon steerers which some claim are marginal in 1". The F1 fork in the 1" size is plenty stiff in the steel steerer version IMO. So, I wouldn't worry about that.

There might be a slight geometry change - stock 2001 geometry had a 7cm BB drop - 2004 has an 8cm drop. I wouldn't worry about it.

Orin.

speedemon
11-24-2004, 06:47 AM
Orin

They're asking $2800.00 for the complete bike, what's your thoughts on that?

Thanks

Larry
11-24-2004, 07:16 AM
Does this Legend have the newer dropouts in the rear..... the fancy 3D
artistic -looking wheel dropouts??
Is the bike new?? Is the frame really a 2001 model??
Does the bike really fit your body?
The F1 is bombproof on the front (personal experience.)
The bike is 4 years old, and obviously they are trying to clear it out of the sh
shop before January.
Are you going to need to change anything in the set-up, therefore raising the price??
The components are not Dura Ace, although Ultegra is good.

I would go for a lower price, more like $2450.00.
I am not sure about the Ritchey Wheels as far as durability. Try to find pout more. You may want a better wheel set.

FYI...... the Bike Mart had a 1 year old Blue Legend with an F1 and all Dura Ace for $3,000 about 2 years ago. Mint condition with hardly a nick.

speedemon
11-24-2004, 09:24 AM
This bike is supposed to be new. They had the frame in stock for a while and just took it out about two months ago a built it with the current Ultegra components. I called Serrota and gave them the serial number which they verified that was the dealer it was sold and delivered to as a stock frame. The frame size does fit me. I tried to talk them down a little more and they’re firm on $2800.00 down from $3200.00. Where is The Bike Mart you’re talking about? Do they have a website?

Jeff N.
11-24-2004, 09:45 AM
I think the 1 1/8th inch headtube is the only way to go. I recently got a used(but like new) DA-9-speed group, minus crank, BB, and hubs, for 3 hundred. I think 28 hundred is a bit much for the bike in question. Its not REALLY out of line, but I think you can do better. But whatever you decide to do...Have a great TURKEY DAY!! Jeff N. :beer:

coylifut
11-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Are cheap machine built wheels. I've seen alot of em OEM on low end cross bikes. Owners of these have had problems keeping them straight. The wheels would be a deal breaker for me.

Orin
11-24-2004, 11:10 AM
Orin

They're asking $2800.00 for the complete bike, what's your thoughts on that?

Thanks

Too much... I'd want new components for that price.

BTW, what size is it?

Orin.

Orin
11-24-2004, 11:20 AM
FYI, there is a 2002 Legend on Ebay, currently at just over $2000 with much better components, 40 minutes to go...

Orin.

bcm119
11-24-2004, 11:35 AM
If you're considering spending $2800, I suggest you just get a new, custom Colorado III and outfit it with 105 or Centaur and Open pro wheels. You'll have just as sweet a ride, custom fitted, with more up to date components.

Just one option to consider.

Larry
11-24-2004, 01:52 PM
Unless you are a monster racer, and really abuse a frameset, the F1 is a fantastic fork....... and the one inch steerer is fine. Serotta is not going to ever build anything that is wimpy, flexy, or subject to any sort of front end failure. I rode the F1 on my Csi for 5 years, and the bike rode straight as an arrow for 19,000 miles, some decents at about 48 mph this past summer.

I upgraded to a threadless system a few months ago. Ouzo Pro carbon-steerer fork, Ritchey WCS stem, Chris King headset, Serotta Heads-Up Titanium insert. It is an even better ride than the F1. Yes...... 5 years of new technology makes a difference. At the Richardson Bike in Richardson, Texas, I am under the impression that most everything is going to a one and an eighth steerer tube. Therefore, it might be difficult to find a one inch carbon fork sometime in the future, if you choose to lighten up the front end a bit. But...... the F1 is bombproof, and that fork should last for many years of dependable service.

It sounds like the Ritchey wheells are the weak link in the set-up of this bike.
I would insist on a better set of wheels, depending on what you are using them for. Ksyriums will be very dependable. There arte several fine options, but I am under the impression that the Ritcheys are not that great of wheelset. It would be a real drag to have wheel problems early on.

Therefore, it would seem that $2800.00 is too high of a price.

$2450 maximum .... and then reconsider your wheel option investment.

Ken Robb
11-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Hey Orin, he's too late on the eBay bike--see my earlier post.

Orin
11-24-2004, 02:21 PM
Hey Orin, he's too late on the eBay bike--see my earlier post.

I just tossed that out as a price comparison... I see you got it for $2500.

Orin.

speedemon
11-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Guys

Thanks for your input. I passed on this one since after looking at some of the opinions and the shop owner not willing to give a little. He was firm at $2800.00. I asked him to upgrade me to the Mavic Cosmo wheels and a Campy Centar triple group instead of the Richey wheels and the Ultegra double, and he pushed the price to $3200.00. I hate to say this, but after taking a real close look I may start looking back to the Waterford's which I was focused on until this Legend Ti I thought I may have worked a deal. Thanks for the comments guys as you helped me rethink this deal.

Thanks
Art

shaq-d
11-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Guys

Thanks for your input. I passed on this one since after looking at some of the opinions and the shop owner not willing to give a little. He was firm at $2800.00. I asked him to upgrade me to the Mavic Cosmo wheels and a Campy Centar triple group instead of the Richey wheels and the Ultegra double, and he pushed the price to $3200.00. I hate to say this, but after taking a real close look I may start looking back to the Waterford's which I was focused on until this Legend Ti I thought I may have worked a deal. Thanks for the comments guys as you helped me rethink this deal.

Thanks
Art

it seems u really want an un-used bike.. in which case a waterford/etc. might be more price-savvy. but a used serotta from '98-01 is very affordable, and i'm talking with chorus/record components, and just as good as a "new" '98-01.. it is titanium after all.

sd

speedemon
11-25-2004, 04:09 PM
it seems u really want an un-used bike.. in which case a waterford/etc. might be more price-savvy. but a used serotta from '98-01 is very affordable, and i'm talking with chorus/record components, and just as good as a "new" '98-01.. it is titanium after all.

sd

First of all, if this bike had the Chorus or Record group I would have taken it in a heart beat, but it didn't, and the wheels it wasn't exactly a set of wheels which matched the caliber of this frame so that's why I passed on it. I took a look at the combination it had and compared with what was being sold out there and I didn't think it was that great. If it was about $2400.00 or so like some of you said in the earlier replies then that I would have gone for. Maybe you would have gone for it at $2800.00 for what components they offer with that bike, but that's not my chioce. Take a look at this and tell me if you won't think twice:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=7114978169&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Serotta PETE
11-25-2004, 04:39 PM
$28oo was too much with that component group for a NOS bike. Exmple of what I mean is - I have a Legend Ti/F1 with about 5K miles and Record Triple (with Mavic Krysium wheels) - was asking $2200 and no takers.

You are going into winter and have plenty of time to find the right bike for you. (Now that you have your size figured out).

Good hunting PETE

speedemon
11-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Pete

That was what I felt, $2800.00 was too much. I guess Sd felt different. I'll give what's fair, but I don't plan on paying for something that's overpriced.

Larry
11-25-2004, 07:13 PM
Speedemon,

If you shop carefully, you will get a much nicer complete bike.....
and, there is a very good chance of finding it in the Serotta Classified
section. A better-outfitted complete bike may come your way at a significantly lower price.

Do not attempt to settle for a cheap or untested wheelset. Believe me, you really want a very dependable wheelset, when you are out there 80 miles from home. Unless, of course, you have a personal sag with several spare wheels.

Keep checking the Serotta Classifieds. Something will come your way.

Larry in Dallas

speedemon
11-26-2004, 04:49 AM
Larry

That's what I thought. I had the intent on getting it, but with the Ritchey Wheels and the price he was firm at at that ended that. I wanted at least a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite on there and he wanted to start puching the price up. So I figure I was done at that point with it. I'm just going to sit tight and see what happens. My size is a 54 what isn't that odd, so I also not in a hurry until the right on comes along. Well hope you have a great weekend I'm headed out of here for the next 3 days to cap off my holidays.

Thanks

shaq-d
11-26-2004, 04:50 AM
[QUOTE=speedemon](edited)First of all, if this bike had the Chorus or Record group I would have taken it in a heart beat, but it didn't, and the wheels it wasn't exactly a set of wheels which matched the caliber of this frame so that's why I passed on it. If it was about $2400.00 or so like some of you said in the earlier replies then that I would have gone for. QUOTE]

speedy, i'm not sure what set of wheels would match the caliber of the frame.. mavic open pros in my eyes would "match", even though they're very affordable. anyway, i was thinking in terms of 8- and 9-speed chorus/record. these were available on serottas as complete bikes at ebay from $1200-$2000, depending on the year of frame/components, on ebay this summer, from 1999 for the $1200 to $2000 for a '02. if stock is what you want, a very nice serotta can be had for a very nice price on ebay/classifieds RBR/here etc.

sd

malcolm
11-26-2004, 05:42 AM
Search New Horizions bikes and then look on their clearance page. They usually have a few serottas new and are frequently good prices.