PDA

View Full Version : Freddie Hubbard called for gig in sky

Fixed
01-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Freddie Hubbard, the Grammy-winning jazz musician whose blazing virtuosity influenced generations of trumpet players and who collaborated with such greats as Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane and Sonny Rollins, died a month after suffering a heart attack at the age of 70.
Hubbard died at Sherman Oaks Hospital in Los Angeles and had been in hospital since suffering the heart attack on November 26.
A towering figure in jazz circles, Hubbard played on literally hundreds of recordings in a career dating to 1958, the year he arrived in New York City from his hometown of Indianapolis.
Soon he had hooked up with such jazz legends as Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderley, Rollins, Coltrane and others.
Frederick Dewayne Hubbard was born in Indianapolis on April 7, 1938. He grew up playing mellophone, trumpet and French horn.
In 2006, he was named a National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Master, the nation's highest jazz honour.
Hubbard is survived by his wife of 35 years, Briggie Hubbard, and his son, Duane.
rest in peace bro
cheers

happycampyer
01-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Growing up, I loved listening to First Light and the other CTI albums, and the VSOP album is one of the greatest live recordings ever. Rest in peace, Freddie.

Erik.Lazdins
01-01-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm trying to think of a trumpet player that didn't spend some of their education, listening to Freddie - one of the essential trumpet players.

Ray
01-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Freddie Hubbard was the first jazz guy I got into, before Coltrane or Miles or Bird or any of 'em. Not sure why - must have just heard him at the right moment. His '60s stuff mostly, before he went all Clive Taylor in the '70s. I saw him in a little hotel bar in Tucson in the late '70s and I'll never forget it. Great great player. I went out and found a few of his old albums when I heard he died the other day. I'm sorry to say I'd almost forgotten about him, but I've been listening to him non-stop for the last few days.

-Ray

jbrainin
01-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Yesterday, WKCR 89.9FM in NYC had a full-day memorial broadcast for Freddie Hubbard. It ended at 9 am today.

Mr. Hubbard will be missed.

Bob Ross
01-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm familiar with Hubbard's work from some of his CTI albums & the first V.S.O.P. album...basically his work after 1970. It wasn't until I read his obituary this week that I realized he was also on a handful of the most influential, seminal jazz albums of all time: Ornette Coleman's "Free Jazz," John Coltrane's "Ascension," Eric Dolphy's "Out To Lunch," Oliver Nelson's "Blues and the Abstract Truth," & Wayne Shorter's "Speak No Evil". He could have *stopped* recording prior to 1970 and his place in the pantheon of greats would've already been assured.

paczki
01-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I loved his playing. I saw him twice. Once in the late 80s (when I was a young teen) opening for Sonny Rollins. He was just stupendous. Then later after his lip had gone. That was sad -- he played in little blurts like Miles did after his lip went. But unlike Miles he had had such a beautiful tone and fluid style that there was really nothing left.
Short of Clifford Brown he was my favorite of that whole period after Dizzy. Just brilliant.

Ray
01-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I loved his playing. I saw him twice. Once in the late 80s (when I was a young teen) opening for Sonny Rollins. He was just stupendous. Then later after his lip had gone. That was sad -- he played in little blurts like Miles did after his lip went. But unlike Miles he had had such a beautiful tone and fluid style that there was really nothing left.
Short of Clifford Brown he was my favorite of that whole period after Dizzy. Just brilliant.
Interesting observation. Miles was like Dylan - maybe not the prettiest voice, but such incredible ideas and phrasing that he made it work. Freddie's beautiful tone was such an integral part of what made his playing great that once he lost it, he didn't have as much to fall back on. Another guy to check out from the same era, similarly great, but who didn't live very long was Lee Morgan. Check out these versions of the tribute to Clifford by each of them. And then a recording by Clifford to put it into perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuGO8IY50b4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDbrxLz20JY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNHmGcHAuYo&feature=related

-Ray