PDA

View Full Version : What's for breakfast? Seeking ideas...

Karin Kirk
12-31-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm having my annual wintertime breakfast dilemma and I'm looking for some help. Normally I don't have much appetite until 10:00 or so and at that time I cook up a nice breakfast (ah, the benefits of the home office!). But in winter I work at a ski area and I'm out the door well before I have any appetite. So I'm looking for a healthy, natural, energy-rich meal that I can bring with me fairly easily and eat on the drive up to the hill, or stash in my pocket and gnaw on throughout the morning.

Does anyone have a recipe for something like a home-made energy bar? Or a hearty smoothie? Or another suggestion? Preferably something I can make myself.

Thanks for your suggestions! :banana:

CNY rider
12-31-2008, 05:42 PM
Have you ever seen/tried Bear Naked granola?
It's my morning favorite because I can eat it at 0615 and not feel famished before I get to lunch, whenever that happens.
I eat it with milk so you would need a bowl and spoon but I have seen little single serve pouches that you could stow in a pocket and nibble on.

Erik.Lazdins
12-31-2008, 08:23 PM
May I be so bold as to suggest:

1. A cup of good coffee
2. A fluffy omlette
3. A piece of good thick crisp bacon

Considering you are nordic skiing, you need proper energy! :)

And apres' ski - a good ride on a JK Special :banana:

best,
Erik

zmudshark
12-31-2008, 08:28 PM
3 cliff bars & a traveler filled with coffee

or

PB&J sandwich and a banana

93legendti
12-31-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm having my annual wintertime breakfast dilemma and I'm looking for some help. Normally I don't have much appetite until 10:00 or so and at that time I cook up a nice breakfast (ah, the benefits of the home office!). But in winter I work at a ski area and I'm out the door well before I have any appetite. So I'm looking for a healthy, natural, energy-rich meal that I can bring with me fairly easily and eat on the drive up to the hill, or stash in my pocket and gnaw on throughout the morning.

Does anyone have a recipe for something like a home-made energy bar? Or a hearty smoothie? Or another suggestion? Preferably something I can make myself.

Thanks for your suggestions! :banana:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=23791&postcount=4

rwl
12-31-2008, 09:50 PM
I prefer the tasty omelette idea, but stashing one in your pocket doesn't sound like fun. For power/granola/energy bars, you can't go wrong with any of these three (http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/power-trip/index.html) from Alton Brown.

thinpin
12-31-2008, 10:32 PM
..we had ham, we could have ham and eggs...if we had eggs

dshaner
01-01-2009, 12:25 AM
It's easy to sprout, still tastes like grain but has more nutrients. It sticks with you longer than cereal or granola alone. Add fruit.

dshaner
01-01-2009, 12:36 AM
It's easy to sprout, still tastes like grain but has more nutrients. It sticks with you longer than cereal or granola alone. Add fruit.

SoCalSteve
01-01-2009, 01:23 AM
You may like these:

http://www.theprobar.com/

I do, they seem to be a real healthy and good tasting meal replacement bar.

Good luck!

Steve

PS: I remember a "smoothie" thread awhile back, you may want to do a search and see if anything interests you.

Karin Kirk
01-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Nice ideas, thanks folks!

How does one sprout quinoa?

I'm headed out shortly -- today's solution will be to get a bowl of oatmeal up at the hill. But most days I don't have enough time for that. I will make some of the suggested recipes and report back.

Happy New Year!

R2D2
01-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Don't forget the good ole hard boiled egg.
Comes with it's own packaging.
Also hard to beat the banana.

Kirk007
01-01-2009, 10:38 AM
get some good grass feed beef or buffalo and make some jerky for the protein requirement.

joelh
01-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Have you ever seen/tried Bear Naked granola?
It's my morning favorite because I can eat it at 0615 and not feel famished before I get to lunch, whenever that happens.
I eat it with milk so you would need a bowl and spoon but I have seen little single serve pouches that you could stow in a pocket and nibble on.

+1 on Bear Naked. I like it with vanillia soy milk, but it is really good dry if you are on the move. A couple of months ago amazon had some special and my wife was able to get it for about $2 a bag (case price).

jbl
01-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I have been meaning to try these - Allen Lim's Sushi Rice bars:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=WHATS_NEW&PRSET_VERSION=1&WHATS_NEW.ID=213

happycampyer
01-01-2009, 12:02 PM
One thing I like to do is to make a large batch of pancakes (whole wheat or other grains if you care for the taste) with blueberries, bananas and walnuts in them. Keep them in the refrigerator or freezer and warm them up as you need. Cut them into strips to make them easier to eat.

Steevo
01-01-2009, 12:29 PM
On many ski days I'll make a sandwich - Turkey or PB&J. Usually eat half in the car and the other half on the lift a few hours later. The sandwich, an afternoon Cliff or Power bar and a platypus sack of water in my pocket keep me going pretty well all day.