PDA

View Full Version : Way to go UPS!

CNY rider
12-30-2008, 07:26 PM
After hearing about the Live.com deal I ordered some Giordana bibs from Backcountry dot com.

I expected them roughly around Christmas. Since they weren't a gift and I wouldn't be wearing them until spring I didn't really care when they arrived.
Yesterday I realized that they hadn't arrived yet.

I went to my confirmation email from Backcountry, clicked through the UPS tracking link and found that they had been "delivered" December 24. Puzzled, I called Backcountry. The only notation they had from UPS regarding delivery said "In box".

I hadn't seen any shorts in the usual delivery places so Backcountry said they would ship me another pair.

We got off the phone and the part about "box" and the fact that the delivery was supposedly Dec 24th got me thinking. First that we had a lot of snow Dec 24 and if it had been left out by the road somewhere then the snowplow probably launched it into oblivion. Second that the day before had been garbage day and the pails would still be out by the curb........

Yep, my second hunch was correct. Looked in the (fortunately empty and fairly clean) garbage pail and there was the package. Since when do you deliver a package to an empty garbage pail?

This takes the cake for poor delivery service......Anybody top this one???? :argue:

Louis
12-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Just be glad they didn't drive a fork lift over it...

So are you now going to have two pairs?

CNY rider
12-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Just be glad they didn't drive a fork lift over it...

So are you now going to have two pairs?

Nah, the conscience won't let me.
The pair in the garbage pail were in a sealed waterproof mailer and don't seem any worse for the experience.
I called Backcountry and told them I didn't need the second pair.
I also let them know about the crappy UPS service.

zmudshark
12-30-2008, 08:14 PM
As a retired UPS driver, I would ask you to call the local UPS center, or pay them a visit, and let them know about it. Demand to talk to the Center Manager, not some flunky.

That's inexcusable.

kgreene10
12-30-2008, 08:22 PM
This wasn't the delivery service's fault, but funny nonetheless. A few years ago, when I moved to Austin in sweltering August, my girlfriend's father sent me a mail order fruit pie. I thought it an odd choice, but quite nice. It was delivered to the (nonworking) front door of my apartment and there it sat, without my knowledge, for a full 10 days before the giver asked, through channels, why I hadn't thanked him -- for what, I asked? By the time I found it, it had virtually liquified. The next week, an assortment of fancy mixed nuts arrived at my office.

Johny
12-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Last year, UPS Ground "delivered", according to their online tracking system, a wheel to me on a Saturday. What a service! Right...wait...I don't recall UPS Ground works on Saturdays. Of course, I NEVER received the wheel. The fact is that we stayed home wholeday on that Saturday and nobody even ringed the doorbell. Yet UPS still claimed they "delivered" it. The place where I purchased the wheel sent me another wheel two weeks later (after slow and useless UPS investigation).

nicrump
12-30-2008, 08:54 PM
you live in austin? i thought you moved away. i haven't seen you in far too long. what gives?

This wasn't the delivery service's fault, but funny nonetheless. A few years ago, when I moved to Austin in sweltering August, my girlfriend's father sent me a mail order fruit pie. I thought it an odd choice, but quite nice. It was delivered to the (nonworking) front door of my apartment and there it sat, without my knowledge, for a full 10 days before the giver asked, through channels, why I hadn't thanked him -- for what, I asked? By the time I found it, it had virtually liquified. The next week, an assortment of fancy mixed nuts arrived at my office.

Louis
12-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Since it's pile on delivery services day I might as well join in:

UPS and FedEx leave stuff at the house, typically at the front door, but sometimes at a side door. (No big deal, unles I'm not expecting something, in which case I don't check.)

My mailbox is about 1/3 mile up the road. The USPS leaves stuff there and only there. They do not bring stuff down to the house. Ever. For some reason if I buy wheels or rims and the sender chooses USPS it is guaranteed to rain. I have a big mailbox, but, surprise, it's not big enough for a wheel box, so they leave those on top. Once it only drizzled, but the second time the box was soaked through completely. No damage to the wheels, but they had no way of knowing what was in there. You would think that they would take the weather into account.

Louis

Blue Jays
12-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Delivery companies should carry plastic bags/sheeting aboard trucks to protect boxes when delivering in foul weather.
I could never understand why this isn't done...other than increased costs...of course.

Johny
12-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Delivery companies should carry plastic bags/sheeting aboard trucks to protect boxes when delivering in foul weather.
I could never understand why this isn't done...other than increased costs...of course.

FedEx do that here.

zmudshark
12-30-2008, 11:19 PM
SOP for UPS, as well.

Blue Jays
12-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Our guys specifically seek downspouts and overflowing gutters for sport! :p

ERDR
12-31-2008, 09:27 AM
i shipped my bike with ups out to oregon from cincinnati a few years ago. it was for a cycling vacation. my bike never showed. it finally appeared in atlanta a couple of months later. i was on the phone repeatedly with little help. i argued with some higher up. i expressed that he had ruined my vacation but all i wanted was my money back. his interpretation was this was like asking for your insurance money back after your house burned down. he finally gave me my shipping plus insurance back and told me to call him personally if i had problems in the future. he paused and then said " oh, but i bet you won't be using ups again." damn straight. what a dick.
s.

Skrawny
12-31-2008, 11:47 AM
I've had several things listed as "delivered" when they weren't there.
Maybe they were stolen.
I never thought to check the trash, though...

-s

Johny
12-31-2008, 12:22 PM
I've had several things listed as "delivered" when they weren't there.
Maybe they were stolen.
I never thought to check the trash, though...

-s

No wonder shipping is getting expensive.