PDA

View Full Version : Merlin Agilis integrated headset question

Liberace
12-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Picked up an XL frame off Ebay for a song- it was advertised as "Frame by Best Ti Builder". Looks to be in perfect shape except for some decals cracking. The problem I have is finding a headset - Does anyone know the bearing specs?

Thanks for the help!

Sean

Jeff N.
12-30-2008, 03:45 PM
If it's the integrated model...good luck. I think your best bet...maybe your ONLY bet... is to contact Merlin directly. Man, oh man...always hated integrated headsets. They're a deal-killer for sure. Jeff N.

Tom Kellogg
12-30-2008, 03:55 PM
in the other forum you posted in. You'll be fine. Good luck.

Liberace
12-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks Tom!

SoCalSteve
12-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Sean,

I believe what you are looking for is this:

http://www.canecreek.com/is-2-is-2i-headsets.html

I just looked at my wife's Merlin Cyrene (IS headset) and this looks like the one.

Good luck!

Steve

PS: Tom K., am I correct?

michael white
12-30-2008, 09:45 PM
yeah, I have the Cyrene. No problems. It's a 2003 and the original bearings are still smooth.

Tom Kellogg
12-31-2008, 07:30 AM
That's it. It is described as an integrated headset, and when used in frames with internally machined head tubes, it is in fact integrated. However, those old Merlins were technically, "internal" headsets. The distinction is that the Merlins had internal pressed in cups which the bearings dropped into. The bearings did NOT drop into the frame itself. The reason that Merlin did this was that it enabled them to rely on the cups to get the bearing alignment correct, not the head tube itself. When you have a head tube which is not machined quite right, you are screwed. With the old Merlin setup, you just replace the cups. The drawback, and in my opinion one reason that they bagged the system, is that it made for a pretty big looking head tube top and bottom. My take? Ugly. They look much better now. I'll shut up now.

TC Johnson
12-31-2008, 08:55 AM
Tom, I recently picked up a 2004 Litespeed Blade frameset that was missing the internal cups for the integrated headset. Litespeed says they have the cups available, but for $50 apiece!

Are there any of the "semi-integrated" headsets that could be pressed into the headtube in the same manner the original cups were? I have measured the inner diameter of the ti headtube, and it appears to be near the 44mm most of the semi-integrated headsets are machined to.

I am in Williams Township, on the other side of the Lehigh Valley from you.

Thanks

TC

Tom Kellogg
12-31-2008, 09:32 AM
Tom, I recently picked up a 2004 Litespeed Blade frameset that was missing the internal cups for the integrated headset. Litespeed says they have the cups available, but for $50 apiece!

Are there any of the "semi-integrated" headsets that could be pressed into the headtube in the same manner the original cups were? I have measured the inner diameter of the ti headtube, and it appears to be near the 44mm most of the semi-integrated headsets are machined to.

I am in Williams Township, on the other side of the Lehigh Valley from you.

Thanks TC

consider that a King headset retails for about 130.00. Still a lot, but the cups are actually pretty nicely done. Anyway, I'd give your local Litespeed dealer a buzz to see if you could get a break if they can just order it and not spend any up-front or stocking costs. Except for Merlin cups, there is not other way to accomplish what you want to do. You can NOT install the bearings directly into the head tube. It just won't work. The bearing placement and alignment depends on the cups themselves and the cup alignment depends on the head tube FACES, not the bore.

Jeff N.
12-31-2008, 10:38 AM
That's it. It is described as an integrated headset, and when used in frames with internally machined head tubes, it is in fact integrated. However, those old Merlins were technically, "internal" headsets. The distinction is that the Merlins had internal pressed in cups which the bearings dropped into. The bearings did NOT drop into the frame itself. The reason that Merlin did this was that it enabled them to rely on the cups to get the bearing alignment correct, not the head tube itself. When you have a head tube which is not machined quite right, you are screwed. With the old Merlin setup, you just replace the cups. The drawback, and in my opinion one reason that they bagged the system, is that it made for a pretty big looking head tube top and bottom. My take? Ugly. They look much better now. I'll shut up now.There are 3 drawbacks, IMO:
1. Ugly, as you've pointed out. I hear they got lots of complaints.
2. Added weight. Negligible, but a heavier system nonetheless.
3. Problems down the line. (Liberace's problem, case and point). Jeff N.

Elefantino
12-31-2008, 12:16 PM
One of the great things about this forum. You ask a question, and in addition to answers from the great unwashed you get an answer from ... Tom Kellogg. Or Dave Kirk. Or Sacha White. Or that other guy. :p

You have to love it. :banana: :hello:

SoCalSteve
12-31-2008, 01:52 PM
One of the great things about this forum. You ask a question, and in addition to answers from the great unwashed you get an answer from ... Tom Kellogg. Or Dave Kirk. Or Sacha White. Or that other guy. :p

Who you talkin' about???

Just askin'

Steve

SpeedyChix
12-31-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm very late to the party, but that Cane Creek is indeed what you're after.

Keep an eye on the seatstays on that frame.

soulspinner
12-31-2008, 03:30 PM

:beer: