PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year!--2009 Calendar Pics

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Every year lately I've put together a cycling calendar to give out as a Christmas present and this year is no different. I got them printed at Office Max this year, which offers a very reasonably priced pre-formatted calendar. You just have to take them a CD with your 12 monthly pics and cover image.

I was lucky enough to get some pretty good shots at various events I went to and combined some of them with a few shots from earlier year's shooting. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed shooting them. Here's the cover . . . This is the peloton riding away up one of the many hills on Meeting House Road at the Tour Of The Battenkill this past April

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Ice bike racing on Iroquois Lake in Central Park here in Schenectady. This was last January and another wonderful production from Heather, the local LBS manager who puts together a lot of fun events . . this one, MTB races in the park, a nighttime century, etc.

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 12:05 PM
A shot from the 2005 national cyclocross championships held in Roger Williams Park in Providence, RI. Kevan and William were there and can attest to the rather, uh, challenging weather conditions that year.

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Another shot from this past spring's Tour Of The Battenkill.

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Probably one of my favorite shots from this year's Tour Of The Battenkill. This was on Ferguson Road toward the end of the race. The road had apparently been graded the previous week to fill in the many potholes that were evident several wet weeks earlier when I pre-drove the route. But by race day the sun was beating down and it was 80 degrees. The road was bone dry and all the race vehicles raised these clouds of dust. Great pics, but I'm glad I wasn't riding. Many of the riders were already so exhausted that I could walk up the hill next to them as I was shooting.

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 12:14 PM
The Tour Of The Battenkill again. This time on Chestnut Hill Rd. as the Cat. 1/2 peloton heads up one of the hills. This part of the route was a last second modification after a brush fire broke out along the original route. I was kind of disappointed because that original dirt portion was the steepest on the whole route and would have made some real epic photos.

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 12:16 PM
This shot was from an outdoor art exhibit in the Saratoga County town of Schuylerville that I shot in 2007. Various painted old bikes were arranged throughout the downtown.

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 12:17 PM
This is what you missed if you didn't go to the Finger Lakes Ramble this past August. Sunny skies, beautiful roads, bright colors, and many wonderful bikes.

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 12:19 PM
This shot is from the 64 mile route at the Deerfield Dirt Road Randonee over in Massachusetts in August. Beautiful, scenic route, but very hilly and lots of dirt and when I do it again I'm going to slap an MTB cassette on my cross bike. The 36-26 I had was not low enough for my taste.

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 12:23 PM
A shot from one of the hill run-ups at the Erdinger Grand Prix of Cyclocross in Gloucester, MA in October. There were so many good spots to shoot there was no way to get to them all and take full advantage during the race. I had to pick a few and this was one of the best. This was shot on Sunday. The organizers had changed the course on Saturday night, chopping this run-up out of the underbrush next to the bay during the night and surprising many of the riders the next day. There were some priceless expressions from some of the riders during the practice sessions when they cruised down the path by the bay and got their first look at what they would have to climb.

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Another shot from Gloucester this past October. According to Bruce K's son this was originally built as a volleyball pit, but the local club didn't put it to much use. Again, so many great vantage points at this race!

dsteady
12-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Beautiful work! As fly-fisherman and cyclist, I particularly like May.
daniel

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 12:27 PM
. . . and this is what you missed if you didn't make it out to CNYRider's "Dirtphalt" event near Cooperstown in late October. Some of the prettiest fall foliage and riding I've ever had the joy of participating in, based out of CSB's (formerly Manet's) summer home near Richfield springs.

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 12:31 PM
I had used up all my good pics with snow, so I used this one from a December MTB race in Central Park here in Schenectady in December of 2007. Another fun event brought to you by LBS manager Heather. She and some local MTB riders have built some truly great trails in the park that are open to anyone at anytime. After the blizzard race a few weeks ago I will have no shortage of snow filled calendar shots for the foreseeable future!

Hope you liked these! D@mn it's fun to go out and shoot this stuff . . .

BBD

sc53
12-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Dave--fantastic photos, fantastic calendar! Really professional looking! Maybe you could start an online business? Just reading an article in the business section today about all those kids who wrote silly apps for the iPhone at 99 cents per download who are now millionaires....i have bought a couple, one just showed a cow being tossed around in space. I think (hope) that one was free.

xjoex
12-30-2008, 12:59 PM
BBD- Fantastic shots!

-Joe

Ray
12-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Very nice shots! You really ought to think about putting them up for sale. Unless that would take the fun out of it...

-Ray

CNY rider
12-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Dave, I am happy to announce that my tuchus is in the photo for July (along with the back end of my Mariposa).
Does that make me "Mr. July"?

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Very nice shots! You really ought to think about putting them up for sale. Unless that would take the fun out of it...

-Ray

. . . about a calendar for sale for next year--2010. But it would take some work as far as marketing, deliveries, etc. It was not the kind of thing I had the time or resources for right now to try to get together for a 2009 calendar. I would want to get a jump on next year's market. Go to any Borders or B&N and you'll see the calendar market is kind of glutted already!

I'm sure there are companies that specialize in production and distribution and I just need to do some research to find them. I market my reprints at Printroom.com, but last time I asked them they didn't have a calendar option available. That would be perfect if they did, since I already have accounts set up with them. Any advice from anyone else who's done this sort of thing would certainly be appreciated!

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Dave, I am happy to announce that my tuchus is in the photo for July (along with the back end of my Mariposa).
Does that make me "Mr. July"?

. . . and I will be happy to feature you as the centerfold in next year's calendar. How do you feel about posing wearing only a strategically placed handlebar bag? ;) :rolleyes: :D

BBD

sc53
12-30-2008, 02:24 PM
How about the Riv "banana bag" instead? hee hee.

Karin Kirk
12-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Nice work Dave! Thanks for sharing too.
Hard to pick a favorite month, they are all wonderful images.

Velociotis
12-30-2008, 03:50 PM
We've used these site for printing photos, books, etc. not sure about the calendars...

http://www.blurb.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/

Jeff Weir
12-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Dave,

Nice job, really great shots!

trophyoftexas
12-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Lots of NICE shots.....cool stuff that most of us Texan-types don't often see!

Erik.Lazdins
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM
this is fantastic PM sent! :beer:

rePhil
12-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Dave,

Very nice.

Pete Serotta
12-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Wonderful shots.......It really makes one want spring to come VERY fast....

PETE

Pete Serotta
12-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Wonderful shots.......It really makes one want spring to come VERY fast....

ps - If you stop by SEROTTA, Steve has a Serotta calender for you....or I can give it to you when I am up that way toward the end of January.

PETE

cleavel
12-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Hi,

Really wonderful photos. Thanks for posting them.

Tom Byrnes
12-31-2008, 01:37 AM
Hi Dave,

Wonderful stuff. Thanks for sharing them.

Tom

mikki
12-31-2008, 06:43 AM
Hi Dave,

Happy New Year to you!! What beautiful shots. I bet whoever you give these calendars to really appreciate the work that went into them.

Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

gomez308
12-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Mr. September needs to get straight to the doctor. His legs are all deformed looking.

gasman
12-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Great photos Dave-thanks for sharing.