PDA

View Full Version : OT: 2009 Prophecies

kaze
12-30-2008, 11:28 AM
S&P 500 = 500 ? :crap:

http://www.cnbc.com//id/28277894

1centaur
12-30-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't think several of those possibilities are outrageous (compared to, say, the Russian guy who expects the US to break up in 2010). And just to keep Blue Jays (who reads every OT thread in an amazing display of self-flagellation) happy, if the dollar/Euro relationship goes to 0.95 then a lot of us will be buying from PBK.

OTOH, based on government money printing and the amazing crowds at every mall post Christmas, I'm guessing the world is not going to suffer to the extent implied by those predictions. We need to get business confidence and bank lending going, then markets will surge and the consumer will be fine.

A friend just bought an investment that returns 2x the negative return of 20-year Treasuries. That looks pretty good under most probable outcomes over a couple of years.

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 11:46 AM
. . . That's a surprise?

I may be job hunting for a long time, but I gotta look on the bright side. spring is getting closer and plenty of time to ride! :crap: :D

BBD

csm
12-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I think it will be better this spring. at least, that's what I've been hearing on the street.
complete turnaround is probably mid-2010 though.

zap
12-30-2008, 01:14 PM
SP at the end of '09.........959.

Gold..............US$765.

:) & Sandy...................priceless :banana:

GuyGadois
12-30-2008, 01:28 PM
"Be scared when people are greedy and greedy when people are scared" - The Oracle of Omaha.

Tobias
12-30-2008, 02:00 PM
S&P 500 = 500 ? :crap: That would make it a depression? Possible, but seems unlikely to me.

victoryfactory
12-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Peace in the Middle East
Jets win Superbowl
I win the mega millions
Earth's Sun burns out.

Happy New Year anyway......

VF

Kevan
12-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Crazy-ass-pain.

Ahneida Ride
12-30-2008, 05:49 PM
OTOH, based on government money printing.

The Government does not create any money ..... the fed does.
The fed is a private corporation. It is not federal and has no reserves.
We all use Fed Reserve Notes, not dollars. We pay interest to the fed
on all those notes they create by typing numbers into a computer
spread sheet.

For every frn create outa thin air by the fed, banks can create 9 more
also outa thin air using fictional reserve.

WE all pay interest on nothing which is in effect infinite interest ...

I only wish our government did create "Money". At least WE would not
be paying interest on nothing.
The last time our government created money was
1963 when President Kennedy issued United States Notes, (Not Federal
Reserve Notes). The fed collects no interest on these notes.
Shortly there after, President Kennedy was assassinated and the edict to
issue this notes was rescinded. Only a few 1963 United States Notes
made it into circulation.

William
12-30-2008, 06:23 PM
I predict that there will be a new kick-ass leather bar tape available to the masses. It will be the best in the world. You read it here!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

William :)

HSG Racer
12-30-2008, 07:01 PM
The Red Sox will win the 2009 World Series

The Washington Redskins will be sold to a group of Virginia businessmen before the start of the season and they win most of their games

Oprah will exceed 300 pounds and write a book titled "Chicken Soup for the Weight Challenged"

Serotta will become bankrupt because fat old slow guys will no longer be able to purchase new frames due to their heavy retirement losses in the stock market

The big three automakers will merge to form a single large conglomerate called Congressional Motors or CM

Serotta, Seven, Spectrum and Specialized with merge to form a single conglomerate called 4S. The new company goes public and becomes the largest company in the US as consumers trade in their cars for bikes

Spitzer will be selected to replace Hillary Clinton as the new Senator from New York

Global warming will cause major flooding in Miami

Automakers will offer negative interest for new car purchases

Obama will pass legislation to make the price of a gallon of milk to be the same as the price of a gallon of gas. This will allow dairy farmers to join OPEC and keep oil production high

coylifut
12-30-2008, 09:43 PM
"Be scared when people are greedy and greedy when people are scared" - The Oracle of Omaha.

that would be Warren Buffet quoting Sir John Templeton.

Louis
12-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Serotta, Seven, Spectrum and Specialized with merge to form a single conglomerate called 4S.

+ Sachs = 5S

BumbleBeeDave
12-31-2008, 06:43 AM
+ Sachs = 5S

. . . will be Super Serotta Seven Spectrum Specialized Sachs Sandy! :p ;)

BBD