PDA

View Full Version : Click, click,click,...,silence.....,click,click,....

Sandy
11-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Well my click,click,click,..... is back again in my Ottrott, but even a little louder now. It seemed to be coming from the bb area, or the left crank arm. I tried 2 sets of pedals, two sets of wheels, and two sets of shoes. The click keeps clicking. If you remember it occurs off the saddle and on the saddle under heavy torque. My left crankarm, if you remember, fell off at about 1,000 miles (5,000 miles ago). I am going to take it to the shop. I think it must be the bb or the crank arm (which feels secure). My Dura-Ace seat post keeps sliding back even though I have it tightened pretty well, but the clicks occur mostly when off the saddle. I hear nothing from the handlebar area, I think.

Click,click,...,click,click,...,silence, click.click,click,click,.......

Sandman

zap
11-23-2004, 10:46 AM
I had the same problem with my magic motorcycle bb/cranks. I went through 4 external bearings but each time the darn squeak would return after 50 or so miles.

i had the sneaky feeling that the bearings where moving inside the external cups and would begin to squeak when the oil got displaced.

I took the stuff off and put '04 campy record carbon and pw ti bb and have been happy ever since.

Marron
11-23-2004, 10:49 AM
I've had two instances now where mysterious BB clicks were ultimately traced to the crown race. In both instances they were the result of a poor fit between the Ouzo Pro fork and and Chris King crown race. Naturally, the problem is excacerbated by the ti frame. which resonates more than steel. Hmmm, I don't remember steel frames and forks doing this.

Kevan
11-23-2004, 11:04 AM
you've tried everything but taking it to the shop. :D

If I promise not to say,"I told you sooo!", would you go get your bb reseated? :crap:

Sandy
11-23-2004, 11:06 AM
The click seems to occur once on each pedal sroke (when it occurs) on tne downward portion of the stroke on my non-driveside crank arm. I should also mention that there seems to often be a rubbing sound, like a chain sound, not related to position of the chain or gear.

I think I am getting cranky,

Sandy

Dr. Doofus
11-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Your Doofus worries about his bike when it *stops* making noises.

BB?

Sandy
11-23-2004, 11:14 AM
I will really worry about my heart when it stops making noises. Or will I??

Sandy

Sandy
11-23-2004, 11:17 AM
How are you feeling? How is your patelar tendinitis doing? When I beat up on you and Zip on your tandem next year, I don't want any complaining.

Thanks for your suggestions and offers to me.

Sandy

M_A_Martin
11-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Sandy, I hearby bequeath upon you the title of "Bike-a-chondriac" which was given to me by my most favorite shop mechanic when I brought in my bike with a bent fork...

Of course, he was wrong, my fork *was* bent.

I'm sure your bike clicks too.

What does your shop say?

Ginger

Sandy
11-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Gloria has not been feeling too well. I would have taken it to the shop. My guess is the bb or the crank arm. My knowledge of bicycle mechanics is especially limited. But eliminating shoes, wheels, and pedals, certainly helps in making a diagnosis.

Great to be your friend, and I say that genuinely. Oops. I never should have let that out, especially on the forum.

Send Kevan back to Calfeeland, if they will take him back!!! ;) ;)

Black Sock Sandy

Sandy
11-23-2004, 11:28 AM
I seem to be sensitive to noises in both my bike and in my car. There is a click, click, click... Please believe me. Many centuries ago, when in my youth, I tried to warn the other cavemen that I was both seeing and hearing some very large animals, some of which ate vegetation and some of which ate some of the other big animals that I saw and heard.

If they had only listened to me....

A true dinosaur,

Sandy

GONE4ARIDE
11-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Sandy,

Do you have a Dura Ace front der. on your Ottrott? If so, the FD clamp could be the culprit of the click. I identified this as the culprit of a clicking noise on a Legend Ti that I previously owned as well as my current Ottrott. There is a particular area of the clamp that interfaces with Ti seattube in such a way so as to create the click noise.

A few other possible but not so obvious sources:

1) interface between dropouts and skewers/axles
2) ST seatstay bearings if you have an ST version of the Ottrott.

zap
11-23-2004, 11:38 AM
sandy-havn't riden in 3 weeks so it feels great. :banana:

but i hope to get out this long weekend to start the new season.

OldDog
11-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Sandysaurus,

My Spectrum had a very simular clicking sound that TK did trace back to the headset. It is a Chris King, though the HS was not the problem as was the fit/refit. Tom pulled it and reinstalled it and, no more click. Maybe just a little squeez of anti-sieze may cure your problem.

David Kirk
11-23-2004, 11:56 AM
I agree with GONE4ARIDE.......pull the front derailuer and clean inside the clamp area and give it a light coat of grease and if you've been a good boy and the stars are aligned it will go away.

Dave

Too Tall
11-23-2004, 12:16 PM
I'll repeat what his Jerkness told me. I'm about 3/4 done with his list:

1. spray some armour all on your cleats

2. take your stem off and put some oil between each of the spacers and on the steerer tube, then re-install. Also loosen then re-tighten your bars to the correct torque.

3.Take your crank off, take BB out, clean shell and spindle ends, re-install.

4. Take seat and post apart, clean, re-install properly.

5. Take tires off of wheels. Put a small drop of oil on the inside and outside of each nipple, and where the nipples meet the hub if on Ksyriums.

M_A_Martin
11-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Sandy Sandy Sandy.

As a fellow bike-a-chondriac, I believe that your bike clicks. (Did you do a search of the old board and the new board on "clicks"?)

Please let Gloria know that I hope she feels better soon. She's such a sweetheart.

Ginger

Sandy
11-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Thanks Thanks Thanks

Sweetheart's Spouse

bostondrunk
11-23-2004, 01:26 PM
I'll repeat what his Jerkness told me. I'm about 3/4 done with his list:

1. spray some armour all on your cleats

2. take your stem off and put some oil between each of the spacers and on the steerer tube, then re-install. Also loosen then re-tighten your bars to the correct torque.

3.Take your crank off, take BB out, clean shell and spindle ends, re-install.

4. Take seat and post apart, clean, re-install properly.

5. Take tires off of wheels. Put a small drop of oil on the inside and outside of each nipple, and where the nipples meet the hub if on Ksyriums.

Actually, the bostondrunk told you that. Don't worry, my feelings aren't hurt.... :butt:

Todd Owen
11-23-2004, 02:00 PM
just a wild thought... but I had a sound like a ping in what I thought was a spoke or my wheel and it turned out to be the pedals were not adjusted from the factory ...they were look pedals.

Orin
11-23-2004, 02:07 PM
...and take every single bolt out, grease them and put them back.

Check rear rim for cracks around the nipples, though cracks here usually sound more like a creak than a click.

Orin.

Kevan
11-23-2004, 02:40 PM
at a substantial discount, clicks and all, and I'll forget about that time, while at Smiley's, when you barged into the bathroom while I was taking a shower.

I felt so violated. :confused:

Sandy
11-23-2004, 03:03 PM
And you felt violated??? How do you think that I felt when you locked the door, turned off the lights, and asked me to soap up your back?? It WAS your back wasn't it??? ;)

Soapy Suds Showering Sandy

Kevan
11-23-2004, 03:31 PM
the offer still stands. ;)

Sandy
11-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Which offer??? The one about my Ottrott, or the one that you made me in the shower???? :) :)

Soap Suds Sandy

M_A_Martin
11-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Please-oh-please someone say SOMETHING that will wipe the visual of Kevan and Sandy in the shower together out of my brain!??? PLEASE MAKE THEM STOP!

Just for that I'm thinking of sneaking into Sandy's house and using my handy sawz-all to find that mysterious click in the OTTROTT! I'm sure its a marble in the top tube! Destructive Testing! That's the only answer!

Sandy
11-23-2004, 03:44 PM
I only wish that Ginger had made me the offer that you made me in the shower! Now that is a much better picture to me. MUCH better. :)

Showering with Ginger,

Smiling Softly Soaping Softly Stroking Sandy

M_A_Martin
11-23-2004, 03:46 PM
MMMMM K....sorry Sandy, that's worse.

I'm sure Gloria will let me have some time alone with my sawz-all and your OttRott Sandy...She's such a sweetheart.

Sandy
11-23-2004, 03:51 PM
I fear that she might want you to leave the Ottrott alone and sawz-all Sandy-all.

Sawdust Sandy

Kevan
11-23-2004, 03:57 PM
You win! I give up! Here, Sandy take my bike, you can have it. You're better at this level of dialog than me and if ever my office caught wind of this thread I'd be ruined.

Keep an eye out for the postman. :D

Larry
11-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Try putting a small piece of duct tape in the bottom bracket shell to snug the fit up just a little. Really...... this solved the problem on my CSi with Record components.

Larry in wet and rainy Dallas

Litespeeder
11-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Sandy -

This is not a joke although it will sound like one. Water that may get inside ther frame pools at the lowest point i.e, the BB area. I have heard several cyclists claim that this can make a clicking sound while pedaling. Apparently, the solution is to remove the seatpost and let the frame hang upside down, or take the BB out and remove any water or moisture. I know that this sounds silly and unlikely but according to several credible sources, water inside the frame can cause the dreaded BB clicking. I know, it sounds like an old fish story.

:bike: