PDA

View Full Version : Sheryl Crow is overhaulin' Lance's...

Kevan
11-23-2004, 09:50 AM
GTO.

Shame on you, what were you thinking I was gonna say?! :D

Heard the buzz from the younger crowd here in cubicleland that his motorized steed is being pimp'd.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2004/09/22/232471.html

Sandy
11-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Send me your Yugo and the garage will overhaul it.

Send me your Calfee and Serotta will overhaul it.

Send me yourself and I will overhaul it. I will start with a frontal lobotomy. Then I will......... ;) ;)

Surgeon Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
11-23-2004, 10:38 AM
This show takes a car without the owner's knowledge and totally reworks it for free--and the car usually belongs to a "celebrity" who could most likely pay to have this stuff done if they wanted to anyway?

I guess I just don't get the point. It would mean so much more if they did this for some regular Joe who could not otherwise afford to have this done . . . and unfortunately, my main image of Lance and cars comes from the OUTSIDE story that talked about him making his own parking space in the "no parking" zone at a cyclocross race and the SI story that referred to his blowing through red lights at 90 in Austin . . . I wonder if he was driving this GTO?

Ornery BBDave . . . who could really use some pimping out of his old Honda.

tch
11-23-2004, 10:49 AM
What is it with the relatively new phenomenon of "pranking" or "punking" someone for laughs (as in the TV show "Punk'd)? This comes up here because Sheryl apparently arranged for someone to "steal" the car she had given Lance for a week. I'm happy for Lance that he got his car back and apparently fixed up, but I'm still on how he must have felt for a week thinking that he lost something special. Somehow these stunts go far beyond the old-fashioned practical jokes and enter into territory designed to panic, piss off, and humiliate people. I don't normally consider myself a person short on a sense of humor, but I don't have ANY patience with these kind of tricks. I don't find them humorous as a witness or a victim, and if someone did to me some of the things that Ashton Kutcher and others did to others, I'd just haul off and hit them -- many times. I simply don't get pleasure out of watching other people being set off, humiliated, or exposed. Can someone explain?

BumbleBeeDave
11-23-2004, 10:54 AM
. . . but I feel exactly the same way. I imagine the liberal application of money in these situations sometimes eases the pain. After all, Lance IS getting quite a bit in car work, ostensibly for free. But I imagine what we DON'T see on the air in shows like this ARE the times that somebody does exactly what you described, realizes what's been done to them and how they've been publicly embarrassed, and either threatens to sue, actually sues, or just beats the livin' crap outta somebody!

BBdave

zap
11-23-2004, 11:46 AM
its an interesting show (on tlc) and i believe Lance is the first celeb. most cars are real beaters (owners w/little cash) that hot rod/custom guru Foose re-designs and a crew comes in to rebuild in less than a week.

Too Tall
11-23-2004, 12:08 PM
Same people prone to put little watter fountains encased in lexan inside the vehicles? Oh yeah, it's the epitome of excellence. mutter mutter.

If I was a classic car owner...WAIT I AM...and someone did anything to my vehicle much beyond polish and restoration I'd be mightily PO'd. A 66' Goat is a thing to be cherished not cut up. It is what it is...just like Queen's 1989 Serotta, a SA-WEET classic.

Oooo, wonder where they put the DVD player?

Kevan
11-23-2004, 12:29 PM
that pops-up out of the bonnet. That way it's just like a drive-in on the fly. :D

zap
11-23-2004, 12:48 PM
na, you guys are thinking of Pimp my Ride on, i think, mtv.

Foose makes some of the best looking custom cars around.

But can't we overhaul sandys ottrott. we could make a little rocket pivot out of the seat tube. he could then keep up with lance on climbs :D

Too Tall
11-23-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm afraid he'd do a Fred Sanford "Oo Oo It's the big one Elizabeth".

Bruce K
11-23-2004, 01:02 PM
I think a low rider look might be interesting for Sandy.

Maybe they could chop and channel the frame, that way Sandy would be low and aero with a really thin profile. Add ape-hanger style handlebars for that retro look.

They could paint pearlescent layered flames that ripple in the sunlight as he rides by. I think several colors separated by clear coats of hand-rubbed laquer followed up with a least 4 coats of clear for a deep 3D effect.

The DVD player would pop out of the stem, powered sub-woofers would be built into the crank-arms, and he could get billet machined solid rims in polished aluminum with color anodized centers.

Now THAT would be a pimped-out ride worthy of our freind Sandy.

BK

BumbleBeeDave
11-23-2004, 01:07 PM
. . . his fuzzy dice go?

BBD

Bauch
11-23-2004, 01:56 PM
to be Overhauled, assuming that you consider Ian Ziering a "celebrity." :no:

I completely agree with Too Tall's take. I'm reasonably sure that Sheryl did not give Lance some junked out '70 Goat. However, while Foose does masterful custom work, most purists (such as myself) find it distasteful at least, and probably closer to criminal to customize a classic the way Foose does. If the far has any history, or is an original, unrestored example, this kind of stuff is even worse. Can you imagine if Sheryl had given Lance a '57 Porsche Speedster or something like that and then had the car overhauled? Tragic. :crap:

M_A_Martin
11-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Oh...and just who accused Sheryl of having possession of good taste as far as style is concerned?

zap
11-23-2004, 03:48 PM
bbd-hanging from the front of sandy' helmet

dehoopta
11-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Dudes,

chill. The show is Overhauled on TLC (Lance's episode airs at 9PM on Nov 30.) The idea is not to pimp out the car with all the bling bling, but to restorate a classic car. Granted, some of them became low riders, but not done to a real classic muscle car. I agree that Lance is the last person needing help finding someone to restore his car. Take the poor teenager (me 20+ years ago with a 1969 VW Karmann Ghia) who needs help restoring his car. I guess Lance is for show appeal.