PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Trainingpeaks?

jimp1234
12-29-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm not really looking for a coach at this point (for a number of reasons but mostly cost) , but rather something that will give me a general framework for my riding for the next 2-3 months. Reading thru the website, it seems that the big downside to TP is that it's obviously "canned", and may not be easily customizable. If you are or were a user did you use the "virtual coach" or did you buy one of the pre-done training plans?

TIA

-Jim

Spicoli
12-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Back in the day there where these things called books?

Seriously though, get Freil's book or one of the late Ed Burke books. You can peice it together from there. I am assuming you are not using a Power meter? Cheap heart rate moniter and one of these books and you can outline the basics yourself. read them a couple times over, its amazing how much you can pick up in a couple days. Coaches are best saved for those who are looking to get that last 10% of the razors edge IMO?

djg21
12-29-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm not really looking for a coach at this point (for a number of reasons but mostly cost) , but rather something that will give me a general framework for my riding for the next 2-3 months. Reading thru the website, it seems that the big downside to TP is that it's obviously "canned", and may not be easily customizable. If you are or were a user did you use the "virtual coach" or did you buy one of the pre-done training plans?

TIA

-Jim

Cyclingpeaks is worth owning even if you are not using a coach. You can devise workouts from a book, but assuming that you are using a powermeter, the Cyclingpeaks software is useful to analyze your power files.

Spicoli
12-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Not sure, but if you are using a powermeter then.......yes absolutly get cycling/training peaks software. Best $100 bucks you will ever spend on bike crap. Also as stated above, you can put it together from there but the software is not really going to outline a program for you. That where the books come in. Apply what you read to the software.

jimp1234
12-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks for answering a question I didn't ask... so you have no experience with Trainingpeaks then??

Seriously though, yes got lots of books Joe Friels, Ed Burke, Chris Carmichael, Eddie B., even my blue CONI book somewhere in my garage.. I know the issues, and the general concepts but I've always been lousy about "self -coaching" even when I raced in the 70's. Worked with a CTS coach last year, and it was sure nice to not have to think about developing a training plan, just look at the website, its Monday do the workout on the calendar kind of thing... Was hopeful that TP could provide something similar but at a lower cost. And yes I do have a powermeter and WKO, and its great for looking at what you've done, but like looking in a real view mirror, less helpful for planning going forward... ymmv...

Back in the day there where these things called books?

Seriously though, get Freil's book or one of the late Ed Burke books. You can peice it together from there. I am assuming you are not using a Power meter? Cheap heart rate moniter and one of these books and you can outline the basics yourself. read them a couple times over, its amazing how much you can pick up in a couple days. Coaches are best saved for those who are looking to get that last 10% of the razors edge IMO?

Spicoli
12-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Why would you buy one of there plans, I guess this is why I assumed. A plan is just a plan unless you have someone you trust interpreting it. Could'nt you just grab one of the many free ones floating around? How about the one in Coggans Power training book?

The "Virtual coach seems interesting but thats got a cost to it too...right? Too Tall would be the go to guy for Training Peaks info. I would think.

Sorry, I was and probably still am a little foggy on what you asked. :beer:
Jeff