PDA

View Full Version : Surly Pugsley?

hansolo758
12-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Any Pugsley owners here? I ride in the winter with a single speed bike and studded tires. I've read about how the Pugsley seemingly floats over snow. Anyone care to compare its usefulness for winter riding with a standard bike and studded tires? How does it fare on the ice patches that one inevitably ends up riding on? Thanks.

Michael Maddox
12-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Although I don't actually have this thing called "winter" in Tallahassee, at least, not as YOU understand it, I do have a Surly Pugsley. It's pretty amazing, to say the least.

I have been able to ride down the white sands of St. George Island, Florida, with the Endomorphs. These aren't packed sands, either. This is loose, powdery stuff. It's not EASY, but it's doable and fun. Our local trails are festooned with sand traps, which I don't have to slow to negotiate; I just barrel on through. No one on a "skinny" 2 inch tire can do this.

I'd imagine you'll find similar performance in most reasonable winter conditions, although deep powder might well be a bear to conquer.

rphetteplace
12-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Mike DeSalvo also makes a snow bike if you want something nicer than a Surly.