PDA

View Full Version : Campy Brifter question

sokyroadie
12-28-2008, 12:00 PM
I am starting to gather parts for an upcoming build and I am not opposed to Campy Carbon Brifters, but not sure which ones to avoid. I can get a set of 2004 Chorus 10s new for $202.50 I think that is reasonable. Are the QS brifters the ones to avoid?

Thanks,
Jeff

bigbill
12-28-2008, 01:48 PM
You can get the 2009 Centaur with the new style hoods and updated internals for around $180 at Ribble. Centaur is still ten speed and there is no escape mechanism. Works the same as super record.

PaMtbRider
12-28-2008, 04:32 PM
The 2004 Chorus brifters or later model QS Chorus levers are fine. Most people complained about later model QS levers in the Centaur and lower range because of the escape mechanism.

MilanoTom
12-28-2008, 04:48 PM
I recommend the 2009 Veloce levers from probikekit.com (I've got 'em on my Peg). Twenty bucks cheaper than Centaur and (I think) the same inner workings. Although I usually like polished aluminum, I think the 2009 levers look better with a black finish.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=L5068

Regards,
Tom

MilanoTom
12-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Oh, and for God's sake, quit calling them brifters. This isn't the Bridgestone Owners Bunch. Is it that darned hard to type "ergo levers"?!?

I recommend the 2009 Veloce levers from probikekit.com (I've got 'em on my Peg). Twenty bucks cheaper than Centaur and (I think) the same inner workings. Although I usually like polished aluminum, I think the 2009 levers look better with a black finish.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=L5068

Regards,
Tom

Dave
12-28-2008, 05:24 PM
I agree to buy the 2009 Centaur or Veloce Ultrashift ergopower from a UK source. Ribble has a 15% off sale right now that makes them real cheap. While you're shopping check out the low prices on thing like tires, cable and chains. Pre '09 10 speed cable sets do no fit the nre Ultrashift levers.

The shifters to avoid are the '07-'08 Centaur -Veloce with the escape mechanism. There is a '09 Veloce model with the old style brake hood that still has escape.

dvs cycles
12-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Oh, and for God's sake, quit calling them brifters. This isn't the Bridgestone Owners Bunch. Is it that darned hard to type "ergo levers"?!? :D That always bugs me too. This day and age when dealing with modern equipment it should be a given when you say shifters you mean STI or Ergo or whatever brand of combo shifter/brake levers.
If you mean bar end or down-tube specify other wise. :beer:

Auk
12-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Always makes me grin when people try to avoid, like the plague, the 08 ergos that have the escape internals. The fall back gripe is that you can only upshift one gear at a time and, while true, it always felt like an advantage to me. Certainly if using the levers for cyclocross, as the bumpy nature of the course tended to execute a double shift many times. Also, in sprints, I always like the feel of only getting one gear per click so as to not overgear when the mind and body are just running on that last bit of reasoning.

Dave
12-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Always makes me grin when people try to avoid, like the plague, the 08 ergos that have the escape internals. The fall back gripe is that you can only upshift one gear at a time and, while true, it always felt like an advantage to me. Certainly if using the levers for cyclocross, as the bumpy nature of the course tended to execute a double shift many times. Also, in sprints, I always like the feel of only getting one gear per click so as to not overgear when the mind and body are just running on that last bit of reasoning.

Well, Campy has nearly abandoned the design after two years. The new design is so much better, for most uses.

palincss
12-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Oh, and for God's sake, quit calling them brifters. This isn't the Bridgestone Owners Bunch. Is it that darned hard to type "ergo levers"?!?

If you insist on using the trademarked name, shouldn't it be capitalized and accompanied by the TM symbol?

Steve in SLO
12-28-2008, 10:13 PM

I agree.
From here on, I shall refer to them as "Shakes"
:beer: