PDA

View Full Version : Help me learn about Skewers

D_L_Huns
12-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Scored a set of wheels last night on the fleabay (because I didn't get ENOUGH kool stuff earlier in the day :rolleyes: ). QR skewers are not included, so I'm looking for ideas. Hubs are silver Campy 10 Centaur, 130 spacing.

So, should I just find a Campy set and keep it in the family? (There are some newly designed ones on CC that look very cool, but $130...http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-components/2009-campagnolo-quick-release-skewers-4071.224.0.html) KCNC has some ok looking silvers, but no experience with them. Various other options seem to be available. Thoughts?

Also, any problem using MTB skewers, ala Crank Bros, with road (130) spacing? Some MTB sets say "rear can be trimmed for road length"?

Added: Light weight is not an option. Wheels are 36 spokes and will be used for rough paved, and dirt/gravel situations. Oh, and I'm not featherweight either, sadly. :crap:

Thanks for any opinions. Don

Elefantino
12-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Go to your bike shop and see if they have any leftovers in silver. You can probably score some cheap. Unless you're accessorizing, I can't see spending a lot on them, atmo.

MilanoTom
12-26-2008, 09:13 AM
If your frame has horizontal dropouts, you may want to stick with Campagnolo. Many of the other brands will not hold well enough to keep the wheel from sliding in the dropout (at which point the tire hits the inside of the chainstay and rubs the paint off).

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

If you've got vertical dropouts, anything should do.

Regards,
Tom

Ahneida Ride
12-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Take a peek at Sheldon Browns site ....

He has strong opinions about internal vs. external cam ....

I ride Record ... expensive ... but tenacious grip and internal cam.

D_L_Huns
12-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Of course... ACWSF (Always check with Sheldon first).

Seems like such an easy mechanism. As always, there may be more to the story.

Thanks, Don

alancw3
12-26-2008, 10:13 AM
shimano dura ace skewers are generally regarded as the best modern day skewer from what i have read. again, internal cam and silky smooth. do not know if they are compatable with campy hubs.

Elefantino
12-26-2008, 10:33 AM
I have used:
Mavic
Rolf/Bontrager
Salsa
and Campy
with 130 Record and Chorus hubs, with horizontal dropouts, with no problems.

I tend not to overthink skewers/QRs because I haven't had a wheel fall off. :)