PDA

View Full Version : Carbonatics, incoming...

weisan
11-22-2004, 02:34 PM
I've got two carbon frames coming in this week. Please don't misunderstand, these are not in the same league as the Hampsten or Calfee that some of our eminent members here possess, they are merely some cheap O' stuff I bought off eBay. :D Anyway, I would be having a lot of fun building them up over the Thanksgiving weekend, I can't wait. In anticipating the buildup, I have a quick question regarding the bottom bracket. I have heard horror stories of early Trek OCLVs not designed with enough safe guard around the BB area to prevent chain suck and thereby the accidental grinding would cause irreparable damage. Obviously, I haven't seen the bikes yet...is there something I could or should put on or around the BB area to prevent accidental chain rubs that may damage the carbon weave? Or is that an unwarranted concern? Please advise.

And if there's anything special I need to look out for in terms of building up a carbon frame, I would appreciate the friendly warning or advice too. This is the first time I am owning a carbon frame so please take it as me starting out as a complete novice. Thanks! :D

weisan

BTW: I would be needing a pair of 8-speed shimano wheels to go with one of these bikes. Anyone have a cheap O' pair of wheels lying around in the garage they are willing to sell to me? Please let me know.

Bill Bove
11-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Weisan, I'm going to be doing some bike building over the holiday too :D On your Trek, it should come with a very large washer looking thingie on the drive side of the BB, use it. It will prevent the chain from dropping on the BB shell and getting jammed in the stay. If it doesn't have one call me, I'll see if I can round one up for you. Do not grease the seat post but do use an anti sieze on the bottom bracket. Have fun.

weisan
11-22-2004, 09:30 PM
Hi Bill,

Thanks for responding to my call for advice. As you can tell, I am a complete novice when it comes to carbon bikes. Up till now, I have never ridden or owned one of these.

Well, I did not get a Trek.... ; )
I just heard about stories regarding the BB in older Treks which I believe has been fixed in the newer models. So, I was enquiring about whether this problem applies also to carbon bikes of other brands built more or less in those same years ie. 1999-2001.

Anyway, should I be worried about chain suck for my carbon bikes in general?
Interesting you should mention about not greasing the seat post. I do that for my steel and Ti bikes so it's good you tell me that. Also, the seat post is full carbon. I guess it's the same thing, correct? - no grease.

When you say apply anti-seize compound to the BB, do you mean just ordinary grease in general? One other thing I would be doing this weekend is take my Legend apart and overhaul. I would be putting Ti prep on the BB threads and also Teflon tapes. That's what I heard some people mentioning here in the forum.

Bicycles are very simple machines by design. But over time with the technological advancement, things get a bit more complicated these days. There's always those little details that could trip me up, that's why I asking people here first before attempting anything. Anyway, thanks for the help. And happy wrenching during the holidays! Hopefully you get to see your new bike the Atlanta soon.

weisan

93legendti
11-22-2004, 10:37 PM
I had a '92 Trek OCLV that succumbed to the chain suck. My replacement and the ones I have had after that all came with a ovalized plate glued to the chain stay to protect it from chain suck. If you have it, you will be fine.