PDA

View Full Version : OK . . . Whadja get . . . ???

BumbleBeeDave
12-25-2008, 11:24 AM
. . . for your cycling Christmas, Silly!

• Bright blue Cannondale winter jersey, pockets all over and great for riding or XC ski.

• Specialized skull cap for under my helmet.

• Three knog lights, two clear ones and a red one with red LED for the back of my cross bike.

• A cool looking book about a newspaper reporter who rode his bike across the country--in 1887.

• A zebra stripe fleece headband . . . and gloves . . . and scarf . . . and throw blanket . . . :eek:

• HULK HANDS! They make cool noises! . . . "You're making me ANGRY! You won't LIKE ME when I'm ANGRY!" Not sure if I can ride with them, though . . . ;) :D

BBD

kong79
12-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Not a thing cycling related. What I wanted was a new bike or at least some updated components for the Ol' Nova Special X, what I got was Hearing aids. $6300 bucs just so I won't have to say "What?" all the time. Seems like a waste of good money to me but the wife insisted. Someday I may appreciate them, but not today.

paczki
12-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Not a thing cycling related. What I wanted was a new bike, what I got was Hearing aids. $6300 bucs just so I won't have to say "What?" all the time. Seems like a waste of good money to me but the wife insisted. Someday I may appreciate them, but not today.

You should have suggested a Meivici and an ear trumpet :banana:

PoppaWheelie
12-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Nothing cycling related....and my wife and I agreed to go super low-key on the gifts this year (bottle of wine, couple of books). My three year old, however, being the only grand-child in the family, hit the mother-lode!

Volant
12-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Brooks Limited Edition Ti Swallow - black #049.

Daughter finally got a bike with gears. She's been riding up and down the road all morning - I think her smile froze on her face! :)

texbike
12-25-2008, 12:12 PM
My two favorites are the Campagnolo book and my latest copy of Led Zepplin's Physical Graffiti (my 5th copy over the years w/the first being on 8 track).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73dvrir5kig

Good music!

Happy Holidays!

Texbike

Chris
12-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Rapha 3/4 bib shorts of the cross variety. Ridiculously nice stuff.

rwsaunders
12-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Not a thing cycling related. What I wanted was a new bike or at least some updated components for the Ol' Nova Special X, what I got was Hearing aids. $6300 bucs just so I won't have to say "What?" all the time. Seems like a waste of good money to me but the wife insisted. Someday I may appreciate them, but not today.

I'd be doing some post-Christmas negotiating if I were you. :cool:

BumbleBeeDave
12-25-2008, 12:36 PM
. . . for a hearing aide? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is it gold plated or something?

BBD

Gothard
12-25-2008, 01:02 PM
My wife received a pair of Hyperons, and the prospect of an arthroscopic surgery early january (torn meniscus...).
I got myself a pair of

Weigles! :banana:

onekgguy
12-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Lake road shoes (http://www.flickr.com/photos/onekgguy/3134856853/) . Now, if it would stop snowing long enough to clean off the roads that would be nice. I'm stuck on my rollers but that's not all bad.

Kevin g

znfdl
12-25-2008, 01:29 PM
A hand me down SRM for my commuter.

Bruce K
12-25-2008, 01:31 PM
2 CO2 cartridges, 3 Hammer Gels, 2 Clif Blocks, a set of Keo cleats, and a iPhone

BK

CaliFly
12-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Assos Intermediate EVO L/S jersey

Assos Element Zero vest

Big-S Langster London

BumbleBeeDave
12-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Assos Intermediate EVO L/S jersey

Assos Element Zero vest

Big-S Langster London

. . . "Big Haul" category. Bruce K is pulling ahead in "Stocking Stuffers" and Kong gets the "***?! I wanted BIKE stuff!" award. ;)

BBD

CaliFly
12-25-2008, 02:05 PM
. . . "Big Haul" category. Bruce K is pulling ahead in "Stocking Stuffers" and Kong gets the "***?! I wanted BIKE stuff!" award. ;)

BBD

Yah...but it would have been cool to get some new Hulk Hands. The toddlers wrecked the last two pair. ;)

fourflys
12-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I got a pair of Mavic open Pro/Ultegra wheels for the Salsa, a Salsa Comrade Jersey, Ultegra 12/27 cassette, a Salsa chainstay protector, and some energy food (Hammer gel, gel cubes, etc). Oh a bunch of sock guy socks! I had a grat Christmas!
Chris

BumbleBeeDave
12-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Yah...but it would have been cool to get some new Hulk Hands. The toddlers wrecked the last two pair. ;)

. . . You won't like me when I'm angry. :no: ;)

BBD

spiderman
12-25-2008, 02:32 PM
my wife organized a party at the bike shop to celebrate.
--complete with all my friends, a cake and spiderman party favors--
then, the last present of the night??
a beautiful cello
and the promise of 5 lessons!
she is amazing...

KJMUNC
12-25-2008, 03:35 PM
A copy of the out of print "Kings of the Road", a digital micrometer to measure all those little bits, a bottle of Deschutes "The Abyss", and a crate of Irish turf to keep the house smelling like Yeats's favorite pub.

oh, and a happy, healthy family for another year with another little addition due only days away. That is the best gift of all.

D_L_Huns
12-25-2008, 03:56 PM
2 pr Boure' WOOLeez Socks. Yummy.
Silver Schwinn bell. As a joke. (I told them "I'm putting it on!"...they said, yeah right, nobody will ride with you. I said, yeah right, nobody will ride with me now! :p )

slowgoing
12-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I got an automatic coin sorter that also puts them in rolls. Wanted one for years. Now I can finally take these buckets of change I've accumulated all of these years to the bank. Best gift ever.

shinomaster
12-25-2008, 04:28 PM
I got a large pizza stone...large enough so that it's actually useful! I got my Gf a bike frame and a centaur rd and brakes. :) :beer:

Jack Brunk
12-25-2008, 05:09 PM
I got a large pizza stone...large enough so that it's actually useful! I got my Gf a bike frame and a centaur rd and brakes. :) :beer:
John,

My wife loved her cup. She wants 3 more in the exact pattern. Can you help me?

clweed
12-25-2008, 05:10 PM
I finished the build yesterday and will take it out tomorrow for the first ride.

2007 Colnago C50
Chorus 11 Drivetrain
Record Brakes
Selle Italia SLR
Richey WCS Carbon 4 Axis Stem
Richey WCS Evolution SL Bars
DT Swiss 240 Hubs
Velocity rims

Zimmy
12-25-2008, 05:21 PM

PaMtbRider
12-25-2008, 05:56 PM
A Salsa Casseroll single speed. I actually got it a couple of weeks ago as an early present. I did get to ride it about 20 miles today though.

shinomaster
12-25-2008, 06:10 PM
John,

My wife loved her cup. She wants 3 more in the exact pattern. Can you help me?

Yay! :beer: Exact is always tricky with ceramics but I'll try next year.. I'm not actually working in the studio right now.

chuckroast
12-25-2008, 06:10 PM
A very nice set of over the shoe booties, just what I was asking for. Also, a new skullcap/ doorag and some device that you park your phones on at night to recharge.

jabbahop
12-25-2008, 06:11 PM
I made the jump to watts with a new powertap wheel and a Garmin Edge 705. Unfortunately having a bit of trouble with the garmin syncing with my PC so need to talk with tech support tomorrow :argue:

A great christmas!

oldguy00
12-25-2008, 06:17 PM
my wife organized a party at the bike shop to celebrate.
--complete with all my friends, a cake and spiderman party favors--
then, the last present of the night??
a beautiful cello
and the promise of 5 lessons!
she is amazing...

I think I need yor wife to talk to my wife!!! ;)

BumbleBeeDave
12-25-2008, 06:33 PM
. . . in the "Big Haul" category! :banana: :banana: :banana:

BBD

Frankwurst
12-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Nothing bike related but both the kids are home. All is good. :beer:

npla2112
12-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Got a nice Nikon s550 and Indy Fab SSR (being built). But the best gift will be my newborn son due to arrive in 3 weeks....My best Christmas ever!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

PBWrench
12-25-2008, 07:58 PM
My two older kids safely through major surgery - nothing better than that. CLWeed - nice Nag!

jmeloy
12-25-2008, 07:59 PM
with a Park PCS-10 work stand, a pair of PI "lobster gloves" for cold rides and 2 polar bottles for my new Ybarrola!

Frankwurst
12-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Got a nice Nikon s550 and Indy Fab SSR (being built). But the best gift will be my newborn son due to arrive in 3 weeks....My best Christmas ever!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

It doesn't get any better than that! :beer:

Satellite
12-25-2008, 08:39 PM
No babies on the way but this baby was dropped off by Santa last night. The wife sneeked it under the tree while I had my eyes closed.

I did get a new Moots VaMoots and a 12" compound miter saw. If the wife wants me to remodel the house she should have bought the Saw and NOT the Moots when will I have time to work on the house now?

Satellite

gman
12-25-2008, 08:53 PM
The joy of being with family and watching my 4 year old open all the toys that Santa left.

An awesome breakfast home cooked by my marvelous wife.

A Wallace & Grommit calendar, fuzzy pj's, a showerbug radio, $50 gift card....

and THIS:

Thank you Santa! (http://picasaweb.google.com/Greg1992/GregSChristmasPresent2008#)

Finishing the build tomorrow...will post photos if any interest...

jbrainin
12-25-2008, 09:18 PM
I got a book made from the blog of my cross country bike trip last year. Best present ever…so far.

Monthly Payment
12-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Commuter goodies: An iControl Timex watch (remote control functions built into the watch so I don't need to reach into the pocket when commuting). And a pair of Pearl Izumi Gavia winter gloves. Really nice high cuff design. The wife didn't like how the old gloves were wearing through and falling apart.

A new track cycling book about Chris Hoy & British Track Cyling: Heroes, Villains, and Velodromes.

She even filled my stocking with some fancy visible stitching handlebar tape.

I told the wife to keep gifts inexpensive, but in the end, I made out like a bandit. Really great wife been keeping her own list of things I mentioned but knew I was too cheap to buy for myself.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Awesome Kwanzaa, Festive Festivus, and good holidays to all.

Karin Kirk
12-25-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm surprised I'm the first one to report that I am the benefactor of the Serotta Castelli clothing sale. Dave gave me a pair of lovely shorts with little Serotta logos around the leg bands.

And for after cycling, a pasta maker. Can't wait to play with that!
Also a couple of Klean Kanteen stainless water bottles. They have a nice wide mouth.

Dave got lots of Mini accessories, but nothing bike related, poor guy.

(Shino, congrats on the pizza stone!)

Merry Christmas to all our Forum Family!

Bob Ross
12-25-2008, 10:49 PM
The missus got me a fitting with Paul Levine of Signature Cycles (which I get to cash in at the end of January). Plus she's threatened to get me an Assos 851 jacket *and* some Rx cycling glasses

...just as soon as we re-finance the mortgage. Ugh.

Lifelover
12-25-2008, 11:12 PM
I got some misc. cycling stuff but the coolest present is the Lemond Revmaster my wife insisted on getting for the family.

It is taking the place of a chair in our Den where we watch TV. The plan is for all of us to use it at some point. Even if it's 15-30 minutes of light spinning while watching TV.

Got one used from the local craigslist

http://www.powercranks.com/estore/images/revmaster_pilot.gif

Dekonick
12-26-2008, 01:00 AM
Garmin 705 and a used Revmaster (Revmaster Ive had for several months...)

:)

onekgguy
12-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Nothing bike related but both the kids are home. All is good. :beer:

That will be me in a couple years. Nicely said.

Kevin g

shinomaster
12-26-2008, 01:39 AM
I'm surprised I'm the first one to report that I am the benefactor of the Serotta Castelli clothing sale. Dave gave me a pair of lovely shorts with little Serotta logos around the leg bands.

And for after cycling, a pasta maker. Can't wait to play with that!
Also a couple of Klean Kanteen stainless water bottles. They have a nice wide mouth.

Dave got lots of Mini accessories, but nothing bike related, poor guy.

(Shino, congrats on the pizza stone!)

Merry Christmas to all our Forum Family!

Thanks, I ordered the castelli wool socks for both myself and my Gf but they have not yet arrived... :confused:

CNY rider
12-26-2008, 05:59 AM
Thanks, I ordered the castelli wool socks for both myself and my Gf but they have not yet arrived... :confused:

Shino I bought the shorts and socks for myself.

Shorts arrived but the packing slip said the socks were sold out.

I took that to mean forever but maybe they are waiting for more to arrive. :confused:

thinpin
12-26-2008, 06:07 AM
3 PFOs (pissed and fell over) with broken bits....no sympathy
2 strokes....poor fellows.
And 1 young " Santa took my toomur out for Christmas" sung to the tune of
"All I want for Chrithmath ith my 2 front teeth" ....great kid, that made my day at work worth it!
Oh yeah and an old dude with a half pound of lobster stuck in his gullet...he should get teeth to chew for next year!

Gothard
12-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Hey!
Another present!

Z3c
12-26-2008, 07:19 AM
My son in the Army is home; most likely he won't be next year..

Santawife was pretty nice to me: she found the Vanilla for me.. Plus the Parlee is now updated to 7900.

Merry Christmas to all!

dave thompson
12-27-2008, 04:07 PM
My son is home for the first time in 3 years. He spent that many Christmas/New Years in Iraq. Now he's stationed at Miramar NAS in San Diego. Much easier to visit him there! :)

I actually bought this from a dealer(! :eek: ) very recently. It's my Christmas present to me. Unusual it is, straight-legged rear end. I finished it with a few bits given to me for Christmas by my incredibly understanding wife. ("You can't ride that in the winter!") and so it sits on the wall 'til he Spring melt.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4972/winterfierte2uv7.jpg

The best gift was our 25th anniversary trip my (beloved) wife sort of sprung on me; a cycling trip down the Danube from Germany to Hungary, then a cruise up the Danube from Budapest to Nuremberg.

I am blessed.

Pete Serotta
12-27-2008, 04:58 PM
She must me quite some lady..........

Is that 09 Dura Ace on the bike????

And a trip to Europe....wow... :banana: :banana:

My son is home for the first time in 3 years. He spent that many Christmas/New Years in Iraq. Now he's stationed at Miramar NAS in San Diego. Much easier to visit him there! :)

I actually bought this from a dealer(! :eek: ) very recently. It's my Christmas present to me. Unusual it is, straight-legged rear end. I finished it with a few bits given to me for Christmas by my incredibly understanding wife. ("You can't ride that in the winter!") and so it sits on the wall 'til he Spring melt.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4972/winterfierte2uv7.jpg

The best gift was our 25th anniversary trip my (beloved) wife sort of sprung on me; a cycling trip down the Danube from Germany to Hungary, then a cruise up the Danube from Budapest to Nuremberg.

I am blessed.

gemship
12-27-2008, 05:43 PM
awesome image of your new Serotta there Mr. Dave Thompson. I'm digging the background with the snow!

As for me, I recieved a nice little side job, some money with a card all kinds of munchies salty and sweet. A very nice scarf made in Italy and some extremely comfortable ankle high Bison leather shoes but no bike stuff. Nonetheless Santa was good :beer:

wgp
12-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Bought for myself! Assos Fugujack during CBike's Assos sale (25% off of $439, down to $350 with shipping!), couldn't resist with that sale price; about the retail cost of an 851 Airblock jacket!

gutefahrt
12-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Garmin 705. And it's just my size. Sweeeet.

djg
12-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Nothin' . . . don't do Xmas.

The bikes and the rest of the gifts look and sound great -- somehow the little wooden swiss bike puts an even bigger smile on my face than the Nag (sweet), the Vanilla (beauty), or the Moots (nice) -- maybe it's because it's an action shot. The best gifts seem to be those given pbwrench (2 kids through surgery? best to all of you), and to Z3c and dave thompson -- must be nice to have your boys stateside.

I've been looking at various bling on the interweb today -- think it's time to send another couple hundred to doctors without borders/medicins sans frontiers.

From Virginia, Peace and all the best to all y'all in the new year.

tv_vt
12-27-2008, 06:25 PM
My dear wife got me a Castelli jersey, Pearl Izumi Optik vest (she liked that it was a very visible White), and Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage. Good book - man, life was/is tough for the regular pros.

Tried on a Castelli King Arthur jacket at Wheelworks while down in Beantown visiting her folks. Nice jacket! But wasn't sure about spending the $, even though it was on sale. Any reviews by current owners out there?

Thom

Ti-Boy
12-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Mrs. and I did not exchange, unless you count the new hot water heater. But some how my mother in law saw fit to gift me a pair of King Ti cages to adorn my Moots.

Satellite
12-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Mrs. and I did not exchange, unless you count the new hot water heater. But some how my mother in law saw fit to gift me a pair of King Ti cages to adorn my Moots.

There is NO better adornment to a Moots than King Ti cages; lov'em.

Dave B
12-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I got a lawyer.

:crap:

rounder
12-27-2008, 09:07 PM
campy book, grateful dead cd/dvd, time with family...life is goood.

csm
12-27-2008, 09:12 PM
I got to watch the boys play wii. and get beat by everyone.
at first.
spent some time getting up to speed.
I rule in golf now and am knocking on their doors in bowling and baseball.

sjbraun
12-27-2008, 10:02 PM
A good response to chemo. Bone marrow from >90% infiltrate to 0.12%.

The rest is just stuff.

Steve

Dave B
12-27-2008, 10:33 PM

The rest is just stuff.

Steve

That is awesome! Pure awesome! :banana:

TAW
12-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Well I was very fortunate this year. Every year my wife is great to me, and this year she let me use my Christmas bonus to buy some (used) Zipp 303s. I also got some tires, Look Keo pedals, several jerseys, socks, water bottles and some other tools/liquids I use. Looking forward to messing around with this stuff. But like Steve said, it's just stuff and very insignificant compared to what Christmas is and the blessings of my family and church. :)

PCR
12-28-2008, 12:09 AM
iPod 8gb 4th generation. Maybe I can have only the right ear bud when I ride? :rolleyes:

Happy New Year! :banana:

Lifelover
12-28-2008, 10:26 AM

The rest is just stuff.

Steve

Sounds like wonderful news. Life is the best gift of all!

Z3c
12-28-2008, 01:38 PM

The rest is just stuff.

Steve

Yea for you! Many postive vibes and prayers that it stays that way!

Scott

tab123
12-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I got a Dutch Bike Oma for commuting! A complete surprise to boot.

Ti Designs
12-29-2008, 08:33 AM
I got a lawyer.

I hope they kept the recipt so you can return it...

johnnymossville
12-29-2008, 08:56 AM
• Long Sleeve Jersey
• Sock Guy Socks (Gingerbread Man Version) Really nice.
• Castelli Winter Gloves
• Trek Winter Tights
• Castelli Logo Bandana for under my helmet
• Sidi Genius 5 road shoes (My first pair of Sidis!)

I'm one happy camper!

Erik.Lazdins
12-29-2008, 11:23 AM

Did you use the camera in the picture to take the picture of your camera?

:)

I couldn't resist :)
:banana:

Erik.Lazdins
12-29-2008, 11:25 AM

The rest is just stuff.

Steve

Thanks very much for sharing the good news! Continued good mojo to you!
Erik

paulandmonster
12-29-2008, 07:51 PM
to the tune of 4200 on xmas eve so much for a new bike

fourflys
12-29-2008, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=johnnymossville]• Sock Guy Socks (Gingerbread Man Version) Really nice.
[QUOTE]

I got a pair of those too! And a pair with Santa riding a Penny Farthing...

Tom Kellogg
12-29-2008, 08:09 PM
from my oldest daughter. She is a writer and lives in the Bay area. If you have not yet read it, Tim Krabbe's "The Rider" is a very short read, but if you want experience what a road racers brain goes through during a race, this is a must read. The writing is extraordinary. No ghost writer here, this guy is not only a real writer, but he was a heck of a good roadie in his day (mid 70s). Give it a read.

johnnymossville
12-29-2008, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=johnnymossville]• Sock Guy Socks (Gingerbread Man Version) Really nice.
QUOTE]

I got a pair of those too! And a pair with Santa riding a Penny Farthing...

Nice!

johnnymossville
12-29-2008, 08:13 PM
from my oldest daughter. She is a writer and lives in the Bay area. If you have not yet read it, Tim Krabbe's "The Rider" is a very short read, but if you want experience what a road racers brain goes through during a race, this is a must read. The writing is extraordinary. No ghost writer here, this guy is not only a real writer, but he was a heck of a good roadie in his day (mid 70s). Give it a read.

I read this last year and I loved it. I gave it to my brother who hasn't ridden in years and he went out and bought a new Ridley a few weeks later. :)

His descriptions of what goes through your head during the race are really great.

rwsaunders
12-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Our family had been fortunate to have enjoyed good health and good times over the past year. I even managed to get a couple of rides in over the holiday break, as the weather has been fairly warm and dry in the 'Burgh.

Glad to see that Dave Thompson is a "Playa" again.

mwaldhopkins
12-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Interesting thread. From high dollar toys to advances in general health. It all sounds great! As somebody else wrote, Life is the true gift. What a miracle eh? Just breathing and waking up to greet the morning considering the perils of existence is amazing... and people hurl themselves off cruise-ships? Unbelievable....

As for me, I got to spend Christmas with my first child- Jens- 7 weeks old now. Being a new daddy sure evokes some interesting emotions. I'm sure many of you out there can relate.

As a secondary note I got a Garmin 305 and a sweet Arbor Roundhouse snowboard. I love new toys.

Kevan
12-30-2008, 07:22 AM
http://www.velopress.com/pictures/264.jpg

and...

http://www.abt.com/images/products/BDP_Images/big_758001.jpg

and...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/2721921631_d625dfbf33.jpg
(RAF Issued)

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2008, 07:24 AM
. . . from SANDY? ;)

BBD

http://www.velopress.com/pictures/264.jpg

and...

http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/WEB/WEB1146_l.jpg

and...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/2721921631_d625dfbf33.jpg
(RAF Issued)

Kevan
12-30-2008, 07:26 AM
. . . from SANDY? ;)

BBD

Peace, I suppose.

jbrainin
12-30-2008, 10:31 AM

Yep, that is a wonderful book. It's one I'd love to re-read if only the person to whom I lent it would give it back to me…

thwart
12-30-2008, 10:55 AM
A good response to chemo. Bone marrow from >90% infiltrate to 0.12%. The rest is just stuff. Steve
Hard to look at these pictures of toys when one uses that as your frame of reference.
Good for you!

Z3c
12-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Hard to look at these pictures of toys when one uses that as your frame of reference.
Good for you!

Ah, but you hit the nail square on; the toys are just that and without your health they don't matter one bit.

Scott

bhungerford
12-31-2008, 06:45 AM
dad got me this, original 1938 Tour results poster, filled out through the 10th stage. totally cool little piece of tour history to hang in my bike room. :D

npla2112
01-03-2009, 01:29 AM

Happy New Year everyone! My Christmas present came earlier than expected. Baby Hendrix Valentino Pla decided to show up 2 weeks early and was born on De. 30th at 12:17pm. He's a porker at 8.5#'s, 21 inches long. By far the best present EVER and a great way to start off the New Year. Who needs an Indy Fab. when I can have this! :) :banana: :banana: :banana:
Cheers,
Nestor