PDA

View Full Version : Happy Holidays--no matter how you celebrate them . . .

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2008, 09:21 AM
This last week I've been feeling pretty frustrated with my job search. I know the economy sucks big time right now and not much is usually happening as far as hiring at the end of the year anyway. But it's nevertheless frustrating to look at the task list, know I'm doing everything right as the experts list it, and still nothing is coming together yet.

In that context, after finishing my bagel at Bruegger's this morning I walked over to the bank and was in line right behind an older man--maybe 60--who was berating the uncomfortable young woman teller because she asked him to show some ID to make a withdrawal. Of course it was because she was new and didn't know him, but he was really giving her a hard time. "I resent that! I've banked here for 20 years! . . . yadda, yadda, yadda . . . "

I spoke up and suggested that if she didn't know him, it is what it is and she doesn't know him. He turned around, so angry, and proceeded to tell me it was none of my business. I suggested to him that she's just doing her job. He reiterated that it was none of my GD business, his voice rising as the manager looked over from his desk to see what the hubbub was about. I told this guy I was sorry he felt that way, and he glared at me, then turned around, picked up his money and turned to leave. I wished him a Merry Christmas and he barked at me, telling me I have a smart mouth before stalking out the door. The guy in line behind me met my gaze, looked toward the door, then rolled his eyes as we both turned around to take our turns.

As I walked out of the bank, I really wondered why this man was so angry. What in his life could make him so filled with bile that he would lash out over something like this simple act of the teller asking him for ID because there's no reasonable way she could be expected to already know him? Is he also out of work? Broke? Frustrated and feeling helpless about a world that seems out of our control lately?

But it also made me think about how good I do have it despite not having job search things go perfectly. Here at Christmas I have a healthy, smart, happy daughter. A wonderful girlfriend who is so supportive--she's the best thing that's ever happened to me. A roof over my head that doesn't leak, warm clothes, and money in the bank so I don't have to worry about losing my home or paying the heating bill . . . and friends like the ones I've made on this forum who are always sitting at that warm, dry online table in the Serotta tavern, willing to offer encouragement, help, or just shoot the breeze whenever I need it.

I hope that guy gets a handle on whatever is bothering him. Otherwise it's going to eat him up inside. I know because I used to be like that, angry at something or the other--or myself--most all the time. I think whatever Maker there is I've learned my lesson before getting as old and bitter as he seems to be. It's nice to be here at the holidays and able to look at the glass as way more than half full.

I hope you and yours will have a happy holiday season no matter how you celebrate it. I hope you get to be with your family and/or your friends and be able to look around and give thanks that things are not nearly as bad as they may seem at first glance at the news.

BBD :fight:

Ken Robb
12-23-2008, 09:39 AM
some years ago someone wrote that when we meet someone like the guy in the bank we should ask: "I wonder who's been kicking his dog?"

Johny
12-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Happy Holidays, Dave. Best Luck with your job search.

John

Keith A
12-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Dave -- Your experience reminds me of a similar situation I posted a while back about I don't understand the hate (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=53465&). Unfortunately, there are many people who are unhappy, angry, sad or something and decide to let these emotions out on others they come in contact with. And for the most part, it is impossible to reason with them when they are venting.

I am a person that is slow to anger, but there have been occasions when I have been upset with a member of my family. At first, there is something they have done which causes me to have these unkind feelings. What is interesting is that as time passes and if I don't resolve the issue, after awhile I might forget what they did in the first place and just remember that I'm upset with that person. And once you get in that mode, sometimes it can be hard to turn it around.

There are many reasons why some people are angry, bitter, mad or whatever. But it may be that this emotion has got a hold of them and they can't break out of this mode of operation and don't know how to react any other way.

We on this forum are fortunate in that we have at least one interest outside of work, family, etc that we enjoy doing...which is cycling. Cycling is a great way to release this energy or emotions...going on a ride by yourself gives you a chance to think and ponder as well as enjoy the great outdoors. A group ride gives you the opportunity to fellowship with like minded individuals and the ability to have some friendly competition.

I am grateful for so many things...my family, my faith, my job, my health...and yes, even for guys like BBD who I've had the pleasure of meeting and riding with.

I want to join with BBD and wishing every one a happy holiday season and hope that you take the time to spend it with those you love. I would also encourage each of us to look for ways to help those who are less fortunate than we are and maybe help them change their bitter/angry hearts.

Ti Designs
12-24-2008, 07:04 PM
As one of the angry people, (I don't have a dog to kick, sorry) maybe I can answer that. These so called holiday times are when people spend time with family and very close friends. There has been a month of traffic jams at shopping areas and endless advertising and a santa on every street corner just asking to get that bell shoved up their... What if you don't have family to spend time with? What if all your friends went away to spend time with their family, leaving you all alone.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to sneak down into whoville and steal all their toys...

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2008, 10:04 PM
As one of the angry people, (I don't have a dog to kick, sorry) maybe I can answer that. These so called holiday times are when people spend time with family and very close friends. There has been a month of traffic jams at shopping areas and endless advertising and a santa on every street corner just asking to get that bell shoved up their... What if you don't have family to spend time with? What if all your friends went away to spend time with their family, leaving you all alone.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to sneak down into whoville and steal all their toys...

. . . a new girlfriend, Ed. Seriously.

Volunteers? . . .

BBD

Ti Designs
12-24-2008, 11:15 PM
. . . a new girlfriend, Ed. Seriously.

I know that nothing lasts and I'm still hurting from how the last one ended - why would I do that to myself? I must have watched Annie Hall 20 times, I don't need the eggs.