PDA

View Full Version : A hypothetical question about iTunes…

William
12-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Hypothetically speaking, is it possible to record music from….let’s say Pan-dora Radio to iTunes? Just curious if it's possible.

William

false_Aest
12-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Not directly to itunes but you can record the music, rip an aiff or mp3 and then play it in itunes.

The issue you'll have to deal with is that it's not a direct recording. IOW you'll have to "mic" Pandora. It'd be kind've like holding up a cassette recorder next to a car radio to capture something.

For music to be streamed the quality of the sound has to be reduced significantly. Now imagine further reducing that quality.

If you want to do it (which, for legal reasons I suggest you don't) you can download the program Audacity (its free) and go from there.

TMB
12-23-2008, 08:19 AM
I record the Jimmy Buffett concerts and then drop them into iTunes.

On the MAC I use a program called Audio HiJack which records the stream internally.

I record them in AIFF format since my editor uses that. After recording them I chop the beginning and ending bits off to just have the concert, then I drop then into iTunes.

It works just fine.

I am sure that if you are on the PC there is a program similar to AUDIO HIJACK.

Bob Ross
12-23-2008, 08:19 AM
The issue you'll have to deal with is that it's not a direct recording. IOW you'll have to "mic" Pandora. It'd be kind've like holding up a cassette recorder next to a car radio to capture something.

Using some modest additional hardware there are ways to route an internet audio stream directly to the virtual input of a digital audio workstation application, allowing you to record digitally with no additional degradation (no d/a/d conversion, no src, no change in bit depth). I can do this on a Mac running OS9 with a MOTU 2408 audio interface & PCI card, feeding Digital Performer software.

But I run a recording studio; that hardware & DAW software would be way overkill if the only reason for having it was to rip Pandora to iTunes!

William
12-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm running Mac....and only asking in theory. :)

William

TMB
12-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm running Mac....and only asking in theory. :)

William

In that case .........

http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/