PDA

View Full Version : Snowy local MTB race yesterday--with pics

BumbleBeeDave
12-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Yesterday our local Countess of Crazy, Heather, had one of her MTB races in Central Park here in Schenectady. Normally they ride through the large network of trails in the park's nature preserve. But yesterday the snow was just too deep, so she had them ride 10 laps around the lake in the park. We already had the one snowstorm Friday, and another was in full swing for the race. It was cold and visibility was awful.

There were only 8 racers--7 normal bikes and one unicycle. The uni guys here are amazing. They recently went down and did the NYC century on their unicycles and they each got at least 75 miles. One guy did the whole century. Almost all the racers yesterday had studded tires, including the uni. The race was won by Wiley, the guy in the red coat catching snowflakes on his tongue in one of these pics. He used to live here, but has moved to Austin and works for Specialized.

There were also five Turkish guys who drove up all the way from NYC in the middle of this snowstorm to watch one of their buddies race. He's the guy in the reflective glasses. They cheered him on from the finish line as Turkish rock music blared from the sound system in their van. It was rather surreal . . .

Here are a few pics and there are more here. It's the last gallery at the bottom. Enjoy! . . .

http://www.pbase.com/bumblebeedave/bicycle_racing

Heather will be having a shirtless ride on New Year's Day as a fundraiser for a local charity. I think I'll ride, but WITH a shirt--and a coat--and a shell. My nipples don't do a whole lot, but I like then and don't want them to fall off!

BBD

vqdriver
12-22-2008, 05:49 PM
My nipples don't do a whole lot, but I like then and don't want them to fall off!

BBD

+1

i especially like the number plates.

shoe
12-22-2008, 11:28 PM
that weather looks a little snotty

Blue Jays
12-22-2008, 11:31 PM
"...I especially like the number plates..."Literally a plate...for numbers!
Even better that eight guys arrive and the numbers go up to at least Plate# 14! :D

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2008, 06:55 AM
Literally a plate...for numbers!
Even better that eight guys arrive and the numbers go up to at least Plate# 14! :D

. . .who apparently didn't show up because of the weather. I'm assuming these were numbers assigned during pre-reg. But Heather's races are definitely home-grown, unsanctioned events, put on by her and her husband Andrew, that are a lot of fun. Really good people!

BBD

Tom
12-24-2008, 08:08 AM
It might have been tricky to do the trails with all the branches down, especially if you couldn't see them in the snow.

Heather, Andrew and the gang over at the LBS are pretty cool. Like BBD said, they put on these races, host several centuries a year (set up the ride, do all the work, load up their car with goodies and basically babysit us all for a whole day), do spin classes in the winter if you're into that kind of thing, they're prime movers behind all the regular MTB rides in the park, do all sorts of trail maint in there so the walkers don't get all cheesed out and do several rides that are just fun - night time centuries, you name it. I am really not sure what riding scene the Dorptown would have if they weren't pouring all that energy into it.

Blue Jays
12-24-2008, 08:17 AM
They sound like very cool people and definitely positive contributors to the cycling scene! :beer:

EDS
12-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Based on those pictures can I assume that the roads in and around Albany are not in good shape for road riding?

I am bringing my trainer up for the holidays and just wondering whether it makes sense to bring cold weather riding gear as well. Unfortunately, I only have a road bike, no mountain bike and no studded tires.

Tom
12-24-2008, 09:00 AM
We're due for a couple rainy days and high temps about 40, it depends where you are located whether you can find a road to ride. Bring the trainer, but if you get lucky you'll find something open enough to ride on.

EDS
12-24-2008, 09:13 AM
We're due for a couple rainy days and high temps about 40, it depends where you are located whether you can find a road to ride. Bring the trainer, but if you get lucky you'll find something open enough to ride on.

I will be in Colonie visiting my family so was thinking of winding my way to Western Ave./Rte. 20 and heading west or work my way over towards Thacher Park. Good or bad idea?

Tom
12-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Thatcher Park might be a little more snowy because it's higher but with less traffic and decent shoulders you might be fine. Drive out 85 and find a place to park.

Western Avenue/Route 20 I don't know about. You have to get out a ways before it isn't all built up and loaded with maroons in their cars.

I'm not as familiar with the Albany side of things, generally heading north into Saratoga County or to the hills west of the Dorp. To be honest, I haven't ridden outdoors since Thanksgiving for various reasons, so I really have no idea what the road conditions are like.

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2008, 10:59 AM
. . . with what the weatherman optimistically calls a "winter mix" falling. There are now no clear roads--they're all covered with slush. You could probably ride the main ones on a road bike, but you'll have to be very careful and you are definitely going to get messy.

BBD